Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,243

1 members and 2,242 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Humidity & heat help?

I've had my BP for a few weeks now and am struggling with keeping my heat and humidity up. I live in Colorado, which is DRY. My humidity is usually between 35%-40%, and temps are around 82-85 warm side, 70-75 cool side (though I'm surprised that she still often hangs out on the cool side). I have an exoterra 36x18x12 and have covered the top with foam board covered in aluminum foil. I have a large water bowl that's about halfway under the red bulb and a UTH on the warm side set to 90. I know the bulb has got to suck out moisture, but I'm not sure what else to do for heat. I think I may get a second UTH for the "cool" side to keep at a lower temperature since it often sits around 70 degrees. I'd love suggestions.

I see a lot of people here talking about misting their cages daily, but the people at the local reptile store told me to never do this as it can cause RIs. Any thoughts on this? They told me to mix a cup or two of water with the substrate (forest floor & eco earth) each week, but then I've read that the substrate should always be dry to prevent scale rot. But maybe that's less of a concern in a place as dry as this? I've tried doing this sparingly, and that's what's helped me get humidity up to 40 and sometimes 45%.

I think I'm going to go grab some sphagnum moss and give that a try. I'm assuming I should avoid mixing it with the substrate since that would raise risk for scale rot? Maybe just put it in the corners or in a small bowl? I've also seen a lot of people talking about putting it in a hide when they see their snake will shed soon. I'm confused as to why this isn't also a scale rot concern.

Thanks for helping this newb! Just trying to do right by this gorgeous girl!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Humidity & heat help?

I spray the Royal vivs when I think about it ...... The secret is to wait until they go into shed mode ( Royals usually disappear for days lol) and spray daily .... and then when they reappear and their eyes are clear again that's the time to start spraying morning , after work and in the evening .

Virtually guarantees a perfect shed .

You usually find the shedded Royal skin in a filthy rolled up messy lump under one of the hides

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Re: Humidity & heat help?

I got rid of my light and went with a RHP. It works much better at providing heat without killing the humidity. I was spraying my tank constantly when I ran a heat lamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I’m keeping my snake in the same 36-18-12 tank!
    I have a humid hide and a large water dish (where the snake can soak in) the humid hide is not a big concern for scale rot because the substrate inthe rest of the tank will not be as moist, also if you have a humid hide you will not need to spray your tank 3 times a day to try and keep humidity up.
    I’ve heard that in the wild they spend the day in humid termite mounds and at night they often come out to hunt where it is not as humid.
    So in my opinion a humid hide is more natural as well as easier on you!(i would suggest keeping the humid hide on the warm side) i use spagnum moss i the humid hide (works amazing!) and what looks like bark in the rest of the terrarium because unlike dirt this bark does not stick to the snake and it’s food as much
    i’m also still figuring out the temperature but i hope this helps!!