Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,036

0 members and 3,036 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

dish-washing gloves for handling snakes?

My baby hognose thinks he can eat me. He is secretly a titanoboa, he told me so. I'd like to tame him down but I'm nervous about the venom. Basically what the title says are dish washing gloves safe for snakes?
    2.1 Ball Python (Mojave, Banana Pied, Normal)
    1.1 Corn Snake (Albino, Okeetee)
    2.1 Hognose (Extreme Red Albino, Normal, Red Conda)
    0.0.1 Blue Tongue Skink
    RIP Rosy Boa
    RIP Bearded Dragon

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Smaug For This Useful Post:

Kcl (10-25-2018)

Thanks

Re: dish-washing gloves for handling snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    My baby hognose thinks he can eat me. He is secretly a titanoboa, he told me so. I'd like to tame him down but I'm nervous about the venom. Basically what the title says are dish washing gloves safe for snakes?
    I find that gloves are really awkward for doing anything with fine motor control- I’d imagine dishwashing gloves would be even worse than leather. Double layer of disposable gloves like acrylonitrile is good against tiny bat fangs while keeping most of your mobility so would likely do well vs hoggie. Dunno how wiggly your hognose is but I’d never try to handle my garter snakes with reduced hand mobility- little wiggle worms are way too fast and squiggly for that.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    By "dish-washing" gloves I'm assuming you mean rubber gloves? Your hand dexterity & grip should be pretty good (unless they fit loose?) but while they'll
    "help" prevent snake bites, I can't promise that tiny sharp snake teeth cannot penetrate the rubber. Mostly, I think the actual smell of the rubber would be
    unappealing to them, or at least to MOST snakes, so in that way they might be helpful? Some snakes go more by "feel" than scent, not sure about your
    "titanboa".

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    If it makes you feel better I'd say go for it. But I honestly don't know how much protection yhey would offer if they're tight fitting. If they're loose fitting I'd be afraid that I couldn't feel the snake as well as bare-handed and wouldn't feel confident handling that way.

You say baby, but how old is baby? Still a tiny hatchling?

Thanks
    He was 18 g last time I weighed him. I think he's grown a little since then.
    2.1 Ball Python (Mojave, Banana Pied, Normal)
    1.1 Corn Snake (Albino, Okeetee)
    2.1 Hognose (Extreme Red Albino, Normal, Red Conda)
    0.0.1 Blue Tongue Skink
    RIP Rosy Boa
    RIP Bearded Dragon

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: dish-washing gloves for handling snakes?

Hoggies would have to naw on you a pretty good time before anything was to happen. I wouldnt want to use the rubber gloves. Seems like you have a youngster and they can be nippy but also they bluff alot too. Maybe limit your handling for 5-10 mins at a time. Make sure you wash your hands before handling because anything that smells like food to them and they are gonna wanna take a bite. But to tell ya the truth, they guys arent monsters and are going to kill you, if you did get any venom into your system all that might happen is swelling of the area bitten. Really nothing to be freaked out about!!

I find the best person on this site to ask about hoggies is Deborah. She helped me with my little guy and I couldnt be more thankful! But if I may ask, why did you get a hoggie if you are fearful of getting bit? Did you not know that they carry venom?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    The more I think about it, I wonder if using rubber gloves might work, since any venom that a hognose has actually must trickle down the outside of their enlarged teeth- so in other words, it's not really injected the way that rattlesnakes & cobras & such do. I would try the gloves if I were you (OP), & have
    them fitting fairly snug so you don't lose the snake with a poor grip: I think you might still be able to feel the tip of their teeth thru the rubber glove, but
    I have a feeling that any venom would stay on the outside of the glove. And I don't think that the taste of a rubber glove will appeal to a snake that's hungry anyway...but you never know I guess? Maybe if he tries it he'll decide they taste awful & learn?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-27-2018 at 07:12 PM.