Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,924

2 members and 2,922 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Do you think snakes "imprint" on their owners?

I know some lizards do. I know Rainbow sees me as safety from others she doesn't like. But do they "imprint"? I don't think they "love" their owners. I do think some association comes with time and handling methods and feeding practices. I have seen it in turtles and lizards. But do snakes do it?

Thanks

Re: Do you think snakes "imprint" on their owners?

I couldn't tell you for a fact, but I have seen Lucy do it. When we last went to the vet they took her back to check if she had any poops in her for a sample. When they brought her back she immediately climbed up onto my shoulders. Not something she usually does.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lirenn For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Yes, I think so, in their own way at least. (-not like ducks that will follow us around, LOL) I'm quite sure they learn to feel safe with us specifically, and most
    of mine appear to generalize that other humans must also be "safe". I've done many programs & many "meet & greets" with my snakes over the years and
    now & then, my snake will make a point of wanting to return to me when held by others, but mostly they "generalize" & don't mind others handling them too,
    once the initial contact (taking them out of their enclosures) is made by me. I would never allow someone else to take them out- that's where mistakes happen.
    But they clearly "know" me, & this is no different (IMO) than the way they learn and REMEMBER their way around in the wild...where they are safe & can hide
    to survive. Those that don't or can't do not survive to pass on their genes. I have to wonder how long it will take for captive-breeding (where more survive
    than actually would in the wild) to weaken the survival abilities of the snakes we love...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (10-25-2018),Godzilla78 (10-27-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    From what I've seen in videos, gators definitely have that.
    As for snakes, the Drymarchon (spell?), Eastern Indigo reportedly recognizes it's owner, and will interact in a way that is specific to that person.
    Given that retics have a reputation for being esp. aware of their environments, I wouldn't be at all surprised.
    Last edited by distaff; 10-25-2018 at 02:07 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    From what I've seen in videos, gators definitely have that.
    As for snakes, the Drymarchon (spell?), Eastern Indigo reportedly recognizes it's owner, and will interact in a way that is specific to that person.
    Given that retics have a reputation for being esp. aware of their environments, I wouldn't be at all surprised.
    Some kinds of snakes are more "visually" oriented & capable than others...but either way (whether by scent/touch or vision) I'm quite sure they "know" us.
    And like all creatures, some individuals in any given species, are going to have more 'smarts' than others too.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (10-25-2018),New2Noodles (10-25-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

My tegu absolutely knew me vs other people and I would not let other people take her out.
    My burm seems to know me but is probably more linking me to food and free time. When my kids or other people are around the enclosure he just ignores them and lays there. When Im in sight he'll periscope at the door until I walk over and give him attenton.
    My BPs dont seem nearly as intelligent and more just react according to the manner a person is holding them.
    Colubrids can't tell their tales from meals half the time.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-27-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post
    ....Colubrids can't tell their tales from meals half the time....
    There are SO many kinds of colubrids...lumping them together is both unfair & inaccurate. The only ones I've seen this ^ apply to are some king snakes...
    I have literally had an elderly albino cal-king that tried to eat her own tail -once...I dunno, she had plenty of food, so maybe she was getting dementia?
    But I've never known any rat snakes that would apply to...they have lots of personality & very good "recall", feisty eaters to be sure, but easy to handle.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

I know, Ive owned species from all over the world and was more just making a joke. That mostly just applies to some young ones at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    There are SO many kinds of colubrids...lumping them together is both unfair & inaccurate. The only ones I've seen this ^ apply to are some king snakes...
    I have literally had an elderly albino cal-king that tried to eat her own tail -once...I dunno, she had plenty of food, so maybe she was getting dementia?
    But I've never known any rat snakes that would apply to...they have lots of personality & very good "recall", feisty eaters to be sure, but easy to handle.
    Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (10-25-2018)

Thanks
    My ball python very much seems to know both me and my role. He will very deliberately stare at me if he wants something- poop cleaned up, removed from the bathtub, rat moved closer to his face even if my boyfriend is the one holding the rat (the bp actually looked away from the rat to stare at me in this case). He also seems to know that in addition to being the problem solver I am the one that will try to pet him or boop the snoot. If he doesn’t want anything, more often than not he will flee into his hide when I open the door, but when my boyfriend does he’ll just keep laying there. He’s not wrong, but I didn’t expect him to know. Even my garter snakes react differently to me than my boyfriend- they’re much more interested in me because I am the bringer of food lol.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Odyn definitely knows I'm momma. At the vet for his surgery day, when I went to pick him up, I opened his travel tub and took him out. He immediately laid on my chest, looked at me like thank god my mommy is here and laid his head on my chest and immediately relaxed. You could see it, feel it and his energy too. Boop comes out when I talk to her. She has expressions. If she wants water she sticks her head out further. If she is hungry she comes to just the front of her hide and flicks her tongue. These animals are intelligent and have personalities.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-25-2018),New2Noodles (10-25-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast