Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,267

1 members and 1,266 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BP Cage Question

Hello!

Again with the little disclaimer. I don't have one at present but am researching them right now.

I'm going to be getting a female, so it will likely be larger.

So my question is which of these cages seems like tbe best for a female ball python?

4' 2' 1'

4' 2' 15"

Or

4' 2' 2'

Putting cost aside which would be most suitable with proper clutter for a ball python? I've heard they like to climb but how much should I be offering for that?

Thanks!
    Alyssa

Thanks

Re: BP Cage Question

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyCupcakes View Post
    Hello!

Again with the little disclaimer. I don't have one at present but am researching them right now.

I'm going to be getting a female, so it will likely be larger.

So my question is which of these cages seems like tbe best for a female ball python?

4' 2' 1'

4' 2' 15"

Or

4' 2' 2'

Putting cost aside which would be most suitable with proper clutter for a ball python? I've heard they like to climb but how much should I be offering for that?

Thanks!
    Alyssa
    There terrestial snakes they barley climb spend most of there time in hides to be honest i catch mine at night on his log climbing but usually just because there is a basking spot and it likes to be weird sometimes but for the most part she/he spends 90% of its time in its hides so height is good to have but you dont need it i would prefer length in width over height but height os nice to have as well

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Thanks

Only reason mine has height is necause i got it a massive enclosure that had height to it 54" long 22" wide 25" high i was told it was a female so i wanted to give it something it would never need to upgrade but so far its been a pain to maintain but i love it so i deal with it heres a pic of mine. Im in process of cluttering it alot more

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

A female, and certainly a male, can live their whole lives in a 4x2’ of any height. They are ground dwellers and although they can climb, spend most their time hiding and feeling secure.

For the same reason I said 4x2’x15” for the MBK - easier to clean than a 4x2x1’, I would get that.

A 4x2x2’ for a ball is overkill. They will barely use the height and it will cost more to heat.
    Last edited by dakski; 10-22-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan_ View Post
    Only reason mine has height is necause i got it a massive enclosure that had height to it 54" long 22" wide 25" high i was told it was a female so i wanted to give it something it would never need to upgrade but so far its been a pain to maintain but i love it so i deal with it heres a pic of mine. Im in process of cluttering it alot more

Out of curiosity why is it hard to maintain? Is it the heat due to the height? Or just general upkeep? What material is the enclosure? It's hard for me to see but I'm guessing glass?

Thanks for the response!
    Alyssa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    A female, and certainly a male, can live their whole lives in a 4x2’ of any height. They are ground dwellers and although they can climb, spend most their time hiding and feeling secure.

For the same reason I said 4x2’x15” for the MBK - easier to clean than a 4x2x1’, I would get that.

A 4x2x2’ for a ball is overkill. They will barely use the height and it will cost more to heat.
    Sounds perfect! (Thanks for the help on the previous thread as well)

From everyone's responses so far I think I'll be purchasing the 4' 2' 15". That way it's easier to clean and I can add a few branches should she want to climb.

I'm glad to hear that they don't need all that much height as it's nearly double for the 4' 2' 2' compared to the 4' 2' 15".

Thanks so much!
    Alyssa

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan_ View Post
    There terrestial snakes they barley climb spend most of there time in hides to be honest i catch mine at night on his log climbing but usually just because there is a basking spot and it likes to be weird sometimes but for the most part she/he spends 90% of its time in its hides so height is good to have but you dont need it i would prefer length in width over height but height os nice to have as well

Interesting! Thanks so much for sharing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyCupcakes View Post
    Out of curiosity why is it hard to maintain? Is it the heat due to the height? Or just general upkeep? What material is the enclosure? It's hard for me to see but I'm guessing glass?

Thanks for the response!
    Alyssa
    It was hard to heat the entire enclosure up i have 2 lights it is glass and cleaning is no fun either lol i love my enclosure but if i could do it over again i would have gotten something shorter the height is nice for an option but for the heat to penetrate to the buttom you need alot of wattage thats one of the down falls to height

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

What size will she be when you get her?
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    What size will she be when you get her?
    I'm thinking she'll be a baby, around 85-125 grams (based on the breeders general listings.) Unless I adopt in which it would be full grown.

I'll be starting out with a tub most likely unless she so happens to be comfortable in such a large enclosure (I like the cluttered look.)

I'm just looking at a life long cage not something that I'll just pop her in right away. I'm aware that BPs tend to be hard eaters when they aren't comfortable. So unless I have a very curious and happy BP tub or 10 gallon will be the starting size.

I'm ordering some AP cages for my frogs so I figured I might as well save a bit of shipping and order all the cages I'll need.
    Then of course moving up to the big cage at an appropriate time.

Thanks!
    Alyssa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I currently house my 2018 hatchlings in a 8’x30”x12” Monster cage that is split in 3 sections of 30”x32”x12”. They have plenty of hides and the black plastic enclosure makes it seem more secure. They’ve been thriving since I got them in July & August. I think you can work with the larger cage, just be sure to provide multiple hides and clutter for them to feel safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast