Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,202

3 members and 3,199 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: MBK Cage size?

Thanks

MBK Cage size?

Hi everyone!

Little disclaimer, I don't have a Mexican Black Kingsnake but am just researching at this point.

So I've heard that Kingsnakes in general tend to be a way more active species then say a ball python. So a bigger cage is probably needed or wanted in most cases.

So I'm thinking of getting a male, but from what I've gathered Kingsnakes don't really have a gender that gets bigger unlike other species.

So the cage sizes I was thinking were the following.

4' 2' 1'

3' 2' 1'

Or there's a higher version

4' 2' 15"

Any thought? I've read a lot of conflicting information on others threads so I was just curious what the general size for the cage recommendations are?

The cages regardless of size will be properly cluttered and suited to the nature of a MBK. I'm getting Animal Plastic Cages in the future so the sizes above are what is offered on that site.

I'm only interested in having a total of three snakes so the price and look of the AP isn't that big of an issue (after getting a summer job of course.)

So let's pretend that price doesn't matter, but of course the well being of the snake does. I figure if I'm going to have a snake for the next 20-30 years I might as well spend the extra cash and get a good lasting and spacious cage.

Let me know what you think
    Alyssa

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: MBK Cage size?

4X2X1' will be fine. However, having 6 1FT tall tanks that are also 2FT deep, I know they can be a little more difficult to clean, especially if they are higher or lower than ideal. I have knee pads I wear when cleaning my two lowest tanks. Each are 1FT high and are 1FT off the ground at the base. I have to get on the floor to clean them.

So, I would recommend a 4'X2'X15" for that alone. The snake won't care much either way.

The reason I went with 1FT tall tanks is I needed to stack them (to save space) and I have a low ceiling.

EDIT: Lower tanks are also a little cheaper to heat as there is less area to heat.
    Last edited by dakski; 10-22-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    4X2X1' will be fine. However, having 6 1FT tall tanks that are also 2FT deep, I know they can be a little more difficult to clean, especially if they are higher or lower than ideal. I have knee pads I wear when cleaning my two lowest tanks. Each are 1FT high and are 1FT off the ground at the base. I have to get on the floor to clean them.

So, I would recommend a 4'X2'X15" for that alone. The snake won't care much either way.

The reason I went with 1FT tall tanks is I needed to stack them (to save space) and I have a low ceiling.

EDIT: Lower tanks are also a little cheaper to heat as there is less area to heat.
    Thanks so much for your response!

I think I may just go with the 4' 2' 15" then I don't think it's all that much more for the extra height and if it makes cleaning easier I'm all for it. I'm trying to get lifelong tanks so id rather spend a few more dollars for the ease of cleaning.

Stacking is the plan for the future AP cages but I think I should be able to make all that work just fine

Thanks so much!!!
    Alyssa

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FuzzyCupcakes For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    If you go with a 4'x2'x15" you've got a bit more space to work with for climbing décor. King snakes do like to climb and perch, and MBK's are no exception.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If you go with a 4'x2'x15" you've got a bit more space to work with for climbing décor. King snakes do like to climb and perch, and MBK's are no exception.
    I haven't seen to much info on that they like to climb but wants awesome to hear. I will be including some climbing decor once I get him for sure then

Thanks!
    Alyssa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyCupcakes View Post
    I haven't seen to much info on that they like to climb but wants awesome to hear. I will be including some climbing decor once I get him for sure then

Thanks!
    Alyssa
    I don’t have a MBK, but my Cal King uses all of her cage decor. They are very active snakes. And she literally is never in her hide unless she is digesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    I don’t have a MBK, but my Cal King uses all of her cage decor. They are very active snakes. And she literally is never in her hide unless she is digesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How Interesting!

I haven't out nearly as much research out for the MBK then I have for the BRB I'm wanting so I haven't researched to indepth.

I knew they were active but that's really neat to know!

Thanks!
    Alyssa