Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,968

6 members and 2,962 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Yafe - Albino Carpet - FINAL - Progression Thread

honestly, idk much about the species, but the scenario seems pretty typical with a common refusal especially after some stress. just seems like he didn't want to fuss; i hope no worries!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well, darn it! but that just happens sometimes. Who knows, maybe he'll happen to prefer ratties.
    I am hoping that's the case! We could use a break! Loving rats would definitely be that.

However, he seems like he's doing great, and I also know he's due to shed, although it's really hard to tell with an albino, especially with his coloration. So, it could be a variety of factors. Also, he ate 5 days ago, and 4 days before that, so he might just not really want food today.

Anyway, not looking into it too much. Just going with the flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    honestly, idk much about the species, but the scenario seems pretty typical with a common refusal especially after some stress. just seems like he didn't want to fuss; i hope no worries!
    Thanks tttaylorrr! Yeah, see my response above this one to Bogertophis. I literally posted it the same time you posted this.

Carpet pythons, especially young ones, can be picky from time to time, but usually grow out of it and pound their food.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (12-17-2018),tttaylorrr (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Sorry Yafe dropped his mouse there Dave. Are you offering food every 5-7 days or so?
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    No worries there.

He seems to be a pretty smart little fellow. His eyes were probably bigger then his stomach, or so we say in Germany.

IF he is getting ready to shed, its better that he didn't eat. While some snakes have no problem to do both, shed and digestion, at the same time, I never even offer during shedding. Their bodies need extra fluid for the shedding process, but digestion does, too. With him just recovering, there is no need to put his body through double duty.

And maybe he really did have enough food already for now.

I take a refusal 100,000 times over a snake that will wolf it down, only to regurgitate it later on because it shouldn't really have eaten that meal for whatever reason. Regurgitation is really hard on a snake and can start a vicious cycle of problems. Much better for him to simply refuse to eat it, because he doesn't need to eat right now.

I think he is simply a smart little snake and realized that he shouldn't eat, once the thrill of the hunt was over !
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-17-2018),dakski (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    ... However, he seems like he's doing great, and I also know he's due to shed, although it's really hard to tell with an albino, especially with his coloration. So, it could be a variety of factors. Also, he ate 5 days ago, and 4 days before that, so he might just not really want food today....
    The more I think about it, he went for so long without food...I think that it's normal for his digestion to be on the slow side for a while. He's been ill, so his body hasn't
    been focused on digestive enzymes...he might be a little short in that department for the time being, & his body had to conserve because he wasn't eating. So whether
    or not he's going into a shed (& btw, I agree...albinos are so much harder to tell) I think he just might have regurgitated had he swallowed this item...trust this little
    guy, he's made it this far. I think all is normal & well...he's not ready for more food yet...don't rush him. I'd go slower than you would ordinarily.

And I agree with zina10's post too- avoid feeding this guy when he's in shed.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-17-2018 at 12:56 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-17-2018),zina10 (12-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Sorry Yafe dropped his mouse there Dave. Are you offering food every 5-7 days or so?
    No biggie EL-Ziggy, LOL! Sorry, I couldn't resist. 5-7 days for the last 3 meals, yes. Then, I plan to go weekly for a bit, and then every two weeks as he gets old, if not longer when he becomes an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    No worries there.

He seems to be a pretty smart little fellow. His eyes were probably bigger then his stomach, or so we say in Germany.

IF he is getting ready to shed, its better that he didn't eat. While some snakes have no problem to do both, shed and digestion, at the same time, I never even offer during shedding. Their bodies need extra fluid for the shedding process, but digestion does, too. With him just recovering, there is no need to put his body through double duty.

And maybe he really did have enough food already for now.

I take a refusal 100,000 times over a snake that will wolf it down, only to regurgitate it later on because it shouldn't really have eaten that meal for whatever reason. Regurgitation is really hard on a snake and can start a vicious cycle of problems. Much better for him to simply refuse to eat it, because he doesn't need to eat right now.

I think he is simply a smart little snake and realized that he shouldn't eat, once the thrill of the hunt was over !
    Well said, Zina10. Not sure about the shed as I haven't seen his eyes cloud over, but I could have missed it. Either way, he seems to know what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The more I think about it, he went for so long without food...I think that it's normal for his digestion to be on the slow side for a while. He's been ill, so his body hasn't
    been focused on digestive enzymes...he might be a little short in that department for the time being, & his body had to conserve because he wasn't eating. So whether
    or not he's going into a shed (& btw, I agree...albinos are so much harder to tell) I think he just might have regurgitated had he swallowed this item...trust this little
    guy, he's made it this far. I think all is normal & well...he's not ready for more food yet...don't rush him. I'd go slower than you would ordinarily.

And I agree with zina10's post too- avoid feeding this guy when he's in shed.
    Yeah, I hear you. Slow and steady wins the race.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (12-17-2018),zina10 (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    It's easier for us "outsiders"....if he was MY snake I'd probably be just as eager to feed him as you are...believe me I know the feeling.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-17-2018),richardhind1972 (12-17-2018),zina10 (12-17-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

That’s a shame Dave , it’s so hard with albinos to miss them cloudy eyes sometimes

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-17-2018)

Thanks

I am sorry to post this on Christmas, but I have to get it off my chest.

Yafe refused his last two meals. Good news and bad news.

First, the good news, he struck and coiled both, including a rat fuzzy scented with mouse. However, the bad news, he dropped both and did not eat them.

Also, more bad news.

He's still flicking his tongue, and otherwise seeming normal; resting with head down, active, climbing, moving warm side to cool side, etc. He also pooped the other day and has been drinking and peeing and urating.

However, I had Yafe out for about 5 minutes the other day while his cage was disinfecting with F10SC. First time out in 2 weeks (aside from a quick drop in the holding container). He was popping again and after a minute or two, started doing the deep squeezes and spasming and flailing showing he was deeply uncomfortable.

I am not sure what to make of all this.

The RI has not come back full force. He has no mucus discharge at all. However, symptoms are worsening, despite that and despite that fact he is still happily flicking his tongue.

I have reached out to the vet and the breeder, but being Christmas, do not expect an immediate response. I am at a loss. The vet said that even if we beat the bordetella bacterial infection, he was susceptible and weak, and could have gotten either another bacteria in there, or a virus or fungus.

I am happy to keep treating and pouring money into him if he gets better and this goes away. However, the breeder said something that made me very nervous. He said that some "hybrids and morphs" are just weak animals. It happens." Yafe might be one of them. I can't spend the rest of his life with $2K vet bills every 3-4 months. I can't afford that and it's not fair to him or to me or Katie.

I am really upset and not sure what to do at this point. I am venting and do not have enough information to make a decision here either way. However, I am very down.

I wanted to share.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2018)

Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast