Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,810

0 members and 2,810 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I have a feeling it's being overcome with curiosity & needing to be reassured that the RI hasn't returned...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-12-2018),zina10 (12-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Yafe - Albino Carpet - FINAL - Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    With him eating and doing "snake" things, I do believe he is over the RI just like you say.

I do have to say, though, and PLEASE do not take this as criticism. Just as gentle advice which you can follow or not. You are there, you see your snake, you know him better then any of us. But honestly, I would dial back the handling to bare necessity as in moving him to another spot to clean, if needed. Even if he is so much better, its only been a short while since he has gotten over this. And it was quite a drawn out illness with lots of treatments and shots. Stress is bad for the immune system. Having been ill leaves the immune system vulnerable for a few weeks. It takes time to go back to 100%.

Even if he seems calm and fine during handling, we all know, it is still a bit stressful to them. He ate 3 days ago and been handled daily since. Even if just for a short while. It still gets his heart rate up, and probably adrenaline going (do snakes have adrenaline??) His body is still working on digestion, which is hard work, esp. with him having been weakened.

I only say this as a friend, but in my very humble opinion Yafe should still get as much rest, as low stress, as possible, for at least as many weeks as his illness took. Give his immune system every chance to build back up to former and normal strength. Feed him, do maintenance, but keep handling down. If he is a calm and tame snake now, he still will be in a few weeks. I find that the basic personality doesn't change. Even if he is over his former illness, a compromised immune system can quickly weaken again and then become overwhelmed by things it could normally easily fight off.

I don't want to hurt your feelings or get you worried. So I will leave this up only as a friendly suggestion and hope you do not take offense
    See below. Bogertophis literally took the words out of my mouth!

For me, it's more anxiety than curiosity, though. That RI ordeal took so much out of me. I am so anxious about going through it again or worse.

Okay. Deep breathe. I always worry about "what if" but then when it happens, I rise to the occasion and deal.

Even today, he showed a few symptoms, but as I said, and you said, Zina10, he is likely over the RI. Did I freak out? No. I worry more than I fall apart when something happens. Alford Hitchcock made a living out of the saying, "The anticipation of the bang is worse than the bang itself." In other words, the suspense is what kills people. I live that, daily.

I think it's out of my system now and for what's worth, I completely agree with you Zina10, and I had the same thought; "leave him alone for a bit and do the minimum handling." However, sometimes my anxiety interferes with my logical brain and my discipline.

He ate Friday night (4 nights ago) and I spoke to the breeder yesterday. He said it's okay to feed on a 4-6 day schedule for a few meals (an appropriate sized meal - not too big) as opposed to a 7 day to catch him up a bit and give him some strength, assuming he appears to have completely digested.

I offered tonight and he happily struck, coiled, and ate another F/T 14G mouse.

That's another thing that I've been anxious about as well. He refused so many meals, I am afraid he's going to refuse every time. The past two times though, he's struck without hesitation (I have a video and will post in a second).

Between his normal behavior, his regular eating, and knowing that he still needs his rest, I will cut back significantly on handling for the next few weeks and keep it at a minimum. Assuming all is well by the new year, I will begin a normal routine with him. I also agree with you that his personality, which is wonderful, is not going to change into something different, and he isn't going to turn into a monster, if I don't handle him regularly over the next couple of weeks. If shots, and nebulizer treatments, and vet visits, etc. didn't make him angry and irritable, I am not sure what will. He's just a sweet guy.

Finally, Zina10, I cannot take what you said as anything other than constructive criticism from a caring friend who wants what's best for me and Yafe.

I think it goes without saying, but I will say it anyway. Zina10, you've proven yourself to be a friend to me by continually and consistently being there for me and for many others on this site. I want, and expect nothing else, other than you honest opinion and candor, especially when one of my beloved animals health is in question. I will never fault you for being critical if I am doing something that could harm one of my animals, even if you know my intentions are good. I cannot promise not to be a jerk about it at first, but I will likely come around pretty quick . I do appreciate your gentle approach however.

I will close in saying, whether you like it or not, you WILL get the same from me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I have a feeling it's being overcome with curiosity & needing to be reassured that the RI hasn't returned...
    Yep. See above!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-12-2018),tttaylorrr (12-12-2018),zina10 (12-12-2018)

Thanks
    We do understand, dakski...now get some rest & let Yafe get some too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHrQC67aPBU
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-12-2018 at 01:02 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-12-2018)

Thanks

As mentioned in the above post, Yafe ate again tonight. He ate happily and willingly and struck with zest and glee!

I have rat fuzzy's and rat pups as well as weaned rats on order. I want to switch Yafe over to rats ASAP now that he's gotten back to eating. I've heard Carpet Python's can imprint on mice and I want to convert him over soon so that doesn't happen.

Video of Yafe striking and coiling his mouse: https://streamable.com/jx30j

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-12-2018),zina10 (12-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    We do understand, dakski...now get some rest & let Yafe get some too.

Oh yeah, I forgot, the whole RI thing took a lot out of me too! I need rest! I need R&R! So does Katie!

Well, I took this week and next week off and this weekend Katie has her birthday and we are having a "Staycation," just the two of us, and she's off Monday too, so it's a three day weekend for her. R&R here we come!

Thanks for the friendly reminder Bogertophis! I guess I'll either be asleep and not on here much, or on here all the time the next two weeks and bored out of my mind .

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I've heard Carpet Python's can imprint on mice and I want to convert him over soon so that doesn't happen.

Video of Yafe striking and coiling his mouse: https://streamable.com/jx30j
    Good plan. They sure can, way more common than people think actually. Riley's Reptiles where I have gotten several of my JCP's from has a few mouser breeders in his collection that refuse to switch, the largest get 5-6 adult mice every 10-14 days. That's a LOT of cash lol
    Last edited by KevinK; 12-12-2018 at 01:07 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You've definitely earned some R & R...you're the best "helicopter parents" I know of....

And I'll make you a bet that Yafe switches easily from mice to rats for you.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I will close in saying, whether you like it or not, you WILL get the same from me!

I expect no less !!!

Thank you for not getting upset.

I have said it before, with our OWN animals it is always different, there is this emotional attachment, the worry, the anxiety, when things are not 100%. Being so close can sometimes give one tunnel vision.

Personally, when its MY animal that something goes wrong with, I know my brain goes into a hundred different directions and its hard to focus and think straight. Its easy to say, just calm down and do the right thing. Throw feelings and emotions into this, and its not just a logical thing anymore.

When I help out others with their sick animals, even in person, I know exactly what to do, who to call, what to write down (lots to do and lots of panic when horses go down, for example). But when its my own, its so much harder to focus through the worry, fear and anxiety. When you throw love and attachment into the mix, it is a whole other level.

So yes, I welcome another view, a reminder, a tip, even criticism when I do something that may not be in my animals best interest. Especially when it comes from people that have my and my animals best interest at heart.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I expect no less !!!

Thank you for not getting upset.

I have said it before, with our OWN animals it is always different, there is this emotional attachment, the worry, the anxiety, when things are not 100%. Being so close can sometimes give one tunnel vision.

Personally, when its MY animal that something goes wrong with, I know my brain goes into a hundred different directions and its hard to focus and think straight. Its easy to say, just calm down and do the right thing. Throw feelings and emotions into this, and its not just a logical thing anymore.

When I help out others with their sick animals, even in person, I know exactly what to do, who to call, what to write down (lots to do and lots of panic when horses go down, for example). But when its my own, its so much harder to focus through the worry, fear and anxiety. When you throw love and attachment into the mix, it is a whole other level.

So yes, I welcome another view, a reminder, a tip, even criticism when I do something that may not be in my animals best interest. Especially when it comes from people that have my and my animals best interest at heart.
    100% on all counts Zina10.

We've talked about before in PM. I, and I am sure others, can get very myopic in my thinking, or as you say, "tunnel vision." To use even another metaphor, "to deep in the forrest to see the trees."

I get fixated on things and then my anxiety takes over and I feel I "need" reassurance. Sometimes I need a gentle reminder like you gave, and sometimes I need a giant kick in the you know what, to snap me out of it and get me refocused on the big picture.

Very easy to be helpful and objective when you are not emotionally involved, i.e. when it's not your animal! Not so easy when it an animal you love and care for and it seems to be taking forever for resolution because you are checking on the poor thing every 2 seconds and there are 86,400 seconds in a day!

Anyway, you are welcome for not getting upset, but it's not in my nature to get upset about someone trying to help me and my buddy Yafe anymore than it's in Yafe's nature to be an angry and aggressive little dude. .

Now, you get some rest Zina10 (and Bogertophis!).

I promise to do the same and to let Yafe happily digest this mouse and get some rest and some meals in him (with minimal handling) for a while.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Two things on Yafe.

First, I have been leaving him alone. However, today he peed a ton, left a lot of urate, and even a little poop. He hasn't pooped much, but I think he's absorbing a lot of the food because he needed it. I took him out, put him in his container, cleaned his tank, and put him back. I did snap a few quick pics with my iPhone before putting him back. They are below. He is definitely getting better body definition. I also think he's going to shed soon. He's a little faded and his skin feels a little rough, but humidity has been pretty consistent.

Secondly, he will a small mouse Sunday, about 15G, and then I will offer again Friday or Saturday, a rat Fuzzy, about the same weight. I was going to try a rat this weekend, but my local guy has 11G Fuzzy's and I think that's too small to entice him to try a new prey item. Also, he's been eating, and he's eaten mice his whole life, I don't think one more mouse is going to make a difference in him switching to rats. I did a big order with perfect prey for him, Feliz, Solana, and Figment. I have a ton of medium rats for Shayna (who's not eating right now anyway) and it will be a while before I offer large rats to Behira. I've got rat fuzzy's pups, weaned, and small, all coming for Yafe and Feliz. Hoppers, weaned/small mice, and adult mice for Solana and Figment on the way as well.

Here the not so good iPhone pictures of Yafe. He's faded and the lighting is bad, etc. However, his body definition is definitely better.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-15-2018),Dianne (12-15-2018),EL-Ziggy (12-15-2018),PiperPython (12-16-2018),richardhind1972 (12-16-2018),RickyNY (12-15-2018),zina10 (12-15-2018)

Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast