Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,652

1 members and 2,651 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 30 of 56 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Yafe - Albino Carpet - FINAL - Progression Thread

Yafe is due to eat tonight, as he skipped last week while in shed. He's eating a weaned rat every 2 weeks currently. I think pretty soon I will up him to small rats, not yet.

I weighed him totally dry today he's 405G! He looks great and is back to his calm(ish) self after having been grumpy while in shed. Not aggressive or anything, just grumpy.

I remember tiny, 105G Yafe, who arrived sick with a brutal RI after fed ex lost him, and now look at vibrant and getting hefty Yafe at a healthy and happy, almost 4X that weight! He's also at least 4FT long now.

Katie and I couldn't be happier with how well he is doing!

Here are a few pics of me and Yafe. Don't mind my wet shirt, I had just cleaned everyones water bowls!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-27-2020),Gio (01-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    You guys look great together!

Good pictures, thanks for posting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-26-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    You guys look great together!

Good pictures, thanks for posting.
    Thank you Gio!

It's wonderful to see how well he is doing now. He's really thriving. That versus when we got him and didn't even know if he'd make it. WOW. So gratifying.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,803 Times in 11,832 Posts
    He's got you to thank, I know that for sure.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-27-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    He's got you to thank, I know that for sure.
    I appreciate that. I was determined and dedicated. However, two good vets, Katie who gave injections, and a willing participant (Yafe) who put up with injections and nebulizers, etc. all helped.

It also helped that I had a spare couple grand! Sick animals get expensive in a hurry. I do not want to go down that road again, although we will see RE Behira. I barely knew Yafe and did everything I could for him. I adore Behira and that's making this even more difficult. However, I am not sure her condition is as dire.

I say the above, RE the money, not to brag or anything, believe me, I would have rather spent the money elsewhere, but it's important, IMO, especially when you have a collection, to stay on top of care and deal with animals that do become sick quickly and efficiently.

Yes, Yafe was quarantined, and no one else was at risk. However, these are all living creatures and taking them on means doing whatever we can (within reason) for them.

I am not telling anyone what to do, and it's a balance. Who expects to spend $2K on a new $2k snake?!?! Who has that kind of money put aside? My point is that I was lucky I was able to do that, but everyone should consider that, and do their best to care for their animals. No judgement.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-27-2020)

Thanks
    I've been a silent lurker of your thread(s) tbh. Been reading and lurking and learning more about how to care and handle Mosaic, I especially work with her on hook training based off the things I've read by you. She's a little feisty so I have had to use my hook to make sure I don't get tagged when I gotta get in the cage. She seems to be in food mode 50% of the time.

Your Yafe is about the same age as my Mosaic, a striped Coastal, who I bought as baby in the summer of 2018(wow, its been almost two years already), its interesting to see the similarities in size and growth rate at this time. She's roughly the same weight and length as your Yafe.

He's a beautiful boy, and I can definitely see him putting on that girth and length and I'm glad you have such a calm boy and glad he is doing so well after all the ordeals you had to go through.
    You too also inspired me on Boas with your thread on Behira.

Just felt like leaving a word today. Back to lurking.
    0.1 Bumblebee Ball Python(Rei)
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python(Mosaic)
    1.0 B.E.L Ball Python(Aspen)
    0.1 Hypo Aztec Jungle BCI(Rowan)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ClarinetPhoenix For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-27-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClarinetPhoenix View Post
    I've been a silent lurker of your thread(s) tbh. Been reading and lurking and learning more about how to care and handle Mosaic, I especially work with her on hook training based off the things I've read by you. She's a little feisty so I have had to use my hook to make sure I don't get tagged when I gotta get in the cage. She seems to be in food mode 50% of the time.

Your Yafe is about the same age as my Mosaic, a striped Coastal, who I bought as baby in the summer of 2018(wow, its been almost two years already), its interesting to see the similarities in size and growth rate at this time. She's roughly the same weight and length as your Yafe.

He's a beautiful boy, and I can definitely see him putting on that girth and length and I'm glad you have such a calm boy and glad he is doing so well after all the ordeals you had to go through.
    You too also inspired me on Boas with your thread on Behira.

Just felt like leaving a word today. Back to lurking.
    Awwwww. Thank you so much.

Mosaic is a beauty and I am so glad you got into Boas. Rowan is a looker too!

I think Mosaic will get quite a bit bigger than Yafe will, but it's cool they are on similar growth trajectories.

The hook works great once they get accustomed to it and know what it means - NO FOOD! Having said that, I remove all my bigger snakes and food oriented snakes when I do maintenance in tank. I find that reduces the risk of a bite. Mosaic seems calmer once out, is that correct?

It was a roller coaster ride with Yafe in the beginning, but it's paid off. He's really is an awesome snake and not only is he pretty calm, but he's my only real display snake. He loves being on his perches and checking out what's going on around him.

Let's keep our fingers crossed on Behira, but I am (cautiously) optimistic. I love that she helped inspire you to get a Boa. That's awesome.

Thank you again and I'll continue to keep everyone in the loop. You do the same with your crew!

Thanks
    Perhaps Behira needs a pep talk from Yafe? I mean, it's only fair to warn her that you'll stop at nothing to make her healthy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-27-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Perhaps Behira needs a pep talk from Yafe? I mean, it's only fair to warn her that you'll stop at nothing to make her healthy.
    Thank you. You are 100% correct! I can be very determined when I got my mind set on something.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-27-2020)

Thanks
    Well, we're ALL pulling for you & Behira too...not to mention that as a "community" we'd love to better understand this phenomenon, though there could easily be
    more than one cause.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-27-2020)

Page 30 of 56 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast