Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,639

2 members and 2,637 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Yafe - Albino Carpet - FINAL - Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Wait, he got a clean bill of health? Are you saying that the RI is done and gone?

That would be wonderful!

If that is explained in the video I apologize as I'm at work and can't watch it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Great news! So glad to hear the vet gave him a clean bill of health.
    I want to be really clear here.

He is currently symptom free, he ate Saturday, he's held down the meal, and he is looking and acting like a normal snake!

Having said that, the vet is open the possibility (with low probability) that symptoms return, but that it's likely just residual gunk that needs to clear out. She doesn't think even that happens at this point. She thinks we were dealing with a difficult and resistant RI.

She believes the bacteria is dead and that he will be fine now, especially if he keeps eating and has energy and his immune system is/continue to recover.

On the odd chance his symptoms return, and persist, she will re-culture, and we will re-evaluate. She refuses, will not even consider, more antibiotics now, as a preventative measure, as he's had more than enough already.

So, bottom line, he should be fine from here on out and looks and sounds great and is eating. However, there is a little room for things to get worse again.

So, "clean bill of health" may have been an overstatement, but could also be completely accurate. I just don't want to mislead anyone. I am feeling great about him right now and will feel even better if he eats Thursday night (two nights from now).

Having said all that, I do feel it was time to move on to this thread and start his progression thread as he eats, grows, sheds, etc. and (hopefully) continues to live a happy and healthy life with us.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2018),Dianne (11-28-2018),EL-Ziggy (11-28-2018),JRLongton (11-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Congrats all around ...

well done
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I’m going with the positive thinking mantra....he’s symptom free, so he is healthy.

He couldn’t ask for better advocates than you and Katie, so I choose to believe the worst is behind all 3 of you. 💜
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Congrats all around ...

well done
    Thanks bro. Your support every step of the way helped a lot! Much love and appreciation brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I’m going with the positive thinking mantra....he’s symptom free, so he is healthy.

He couldn’t ask for better advocates than you and Katie, so I choose to believe the worst is behind all 3 of you. 💜
    Dianne,

I agree. Positive thinking is the way to go.

It means a lot that you, and others here, have said what great advocates and what a great job we did for Yafe. I think so too, but I don't think too much about it. He's a cool guy and in his own way, he appreciates it and he's been kind right back at us. He's had so many opportunities to be difficult or nippy or unpleasant, and he hasn't been any of those things. Not that I would have held that against him, but I can tell, he's a kind soul. He deserved the love and care and as I said earlier, we are going to be buddies for a long time.

I am just glad this is over. I've been so focused on it and wrapped up so tight and so anxious about it. It will be nice to take a deep breath and just watch the poor guy eat and grow and enjoy life.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-28-2018),EL-Ziggy (11-28-2018)

Thanks

Okay, today Yafe seemed calm and docile and is still flicking his tongue. However, he is popping a little bit and when I took him out for a quick once over, he did a few muscle "squeezes" on my arm when he had, what appeared to be, a particularly uncomfortable, pop/clearing out of gunk.

He is resting comfortably in his tank now and his head is level and not up or elevated. Good signs.

The vet said he can have symptoms for a while after the bacteria is gone and not to worry over minor symptoms unless things really regress and for a while. She doesn't want to introduce anymore antibiotics right now anyway.

I was planning to offer food again tomorrow (5 days from last feed, a 9G hopper - a very small meal for him). However, I've decided food is good and can only give him strength. So I am offering a, still, small meal, tonight, but not as small. I normal meal for him is a 15G or so weaned mouse. I will offer a 12G or so hopper tonight and see if he takes it. I do not plan on feeding every 4 days normally, but these are extenuating circumstances. Food = nourishment and strength and can only help him get better. I also don't want to risk symptoms getting worse before he gets more nutrients and strength and potentially does not eat again.

I'll keep everyone posted. I am very optimistic he will eat tonight.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2018),ckuhn003 (11-28-2018),Dianne (11-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Okay, today Yafe seemed calm and docile and is still flicking his tongue. However, he is popping a little bit and when I took him out for a quick once over, he did a few muscle "squeezes" on my arm when he had, what appeared to be, a particularly uncomfortable, pop/clearing out of gunk.

He is resting comfortably in his tank now and his head is level and not up or elevated. Good signs.

The vet said he can have symptoms for a while after the bacteria is gone and not to worry over minor symptoms unless things really regress and for a while. She doesn't want to introduce anymore antibiotics right now anyway.

I was planning to offer food again tomorrow (5 days from last feed, a 9G hopper - a very small meal for him). However, I've decided food is good and can only give him strength. So I am offering a, still, small meal, tonight, but not as small. I normal meal for him is a 15G or so weaned mouse. I will offer a 12G or so hopper tonight and see if he takes it. I do not plan on feeding every 4 days normally, but these are extenuating circumstances. Food = nourishment and strength and can only help him get better. I also don't want to risk symptoms getting worse before he gets more nutrients and strength and potentially does not eat again.

I'll keep everyone posted. I am very optimistic he will eat tonight.
    That's what I'd do too...lighter fare & a little closer together...he really does need to build up his strength now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-28-2018)

Thanks

Well, today is going from bad to worse regarding Yafe.

Not only was he symptomatic again this afternoon, but he refused his meal tonight as well.

I offered and he seemed super interested, but no strike. I left it for about twenty minutes, but no dice.

I took it out, re-warmed it, and re-offered. Again, clear interest, but no strike. I left it again, for an hour and he sat, 1/2 inch away, eyeing it the whole time, but never took it.

Finally, I removed it. I'll offer again Sunday when everyone else eats (4 days from now).

"Okay Dave, deep breathes. It's one day. He had a decent meal 4 days ago. He's still flicking his tongue and he's resting with his head down. No noticeable mucus, no wheezing, no snot bubbles, etc. STAY CALM and wait this out. Things could get better or worse, but worrying about it isn't helping at all. The vet said give it a couple of weeks and that she doesn't want to do anything before then. The bacteria can be gone, but it can still take time for everything to clear out. DEEP BREATHES. You are doing everything you can for him."

Last edited by dakski; 11-28-2018 at 11:50 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2018),Dianne (11-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm so sorry, that is discouraging. But you only fed him 4 days ago, after HOW LONG with no food? So his stomach might need a slower start, now that I think
    about it. Still, I didn't want to hear about his symptoms coming back, no matter how minor... that truly stinks.
    (starting this thread may have jinxed it?)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-29-2018 at 12:05 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-29-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm so sorry, that is discouraging. But you only fed him 4 days ago, after HOW LONG with no food? So his stomach might need a slower start, now that I think
    about it. Still, I didn't want to hear about his symptoms coming back, no matter how minor... that truly stinks.
    (starting this thread may have jinxed it?)
    Thanks Bogertophis.

Yeah, not pleased about the symptoms. DEEP BREATHES. I'll offer food Sunday, and in the meantime, keep the temps dialed in (what else is new) and humidity closer to 65-70% (which I've been doing) as opposed to 55-65%, which is normal for him. I am hoping the higher humidity helps clear out what's left. Again, holding on to the positives; tongue flicks, good activity levels, head flat and not elevated, no noticeable mucus, no wheezing, he did eat 4 days ago and for the first time in 8 weeks, etc. Overall, things are looking up.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-29-2018),Dianne (11-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Thanks Bogertophis.

Yeah, not pleased about the symptoms. DEEP BREATHES. I'll offer food Sunday, and in the meantime, keep the temps dialed in (what else is new) and humidity closer to 65-70% (which I've been doing) as opposed to 55-65%, which is normal for him. I am hoping the higher humidity helps clear out what's left. Again, holding on to the positives; tongue flicks, good activity levels, head flat and not elevated, no noticeable mucus, no wheezing, he did eat 4 days ago and for the first time in 8 weeks, etc. Overall, things are looking up.
    When I’ve had snakes go an extended period without food, I will often offer smaller prey and sometimes allow a little extra time in between...say every 10 days instead of every 7 for hatchlings/neonates. I did this with Merlin (Solomon Island) when I first got him. I had a very difficult time getting him to feed because he was wild caught. He’s the only snake I’ve had to resort to assist feeding in 27 years of keeping snakes. Granted this was more stressful for both of us, but I felt he needed the time in between to digest and recuperate. I’ve also done this with Eli (normal bp) when he has gone on extended fasts, offering mice before moving back up to rats. It’s the same practice with neglected fur babies, small meals to prevent regurgitation and to allow their shrunken stomach to adjust to food again.

I think the RI and treatments have probably taken quite the toll on little Yafe...not to mention you and Katie. Since he just ate after an extended fast for his age/size, he may need a bit more down time. Keep up the great care you are providing, keep the faith, and try again in a few days. I’m rooting for all of you to make it through this healthy, happy, and soon to be stress free.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-29-2018),dakski (11-29-2018),zina10 (11-29-2018)

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast