Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,479

2 members and 1,477 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Yafe - Albino Carpet - FINAL - Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    So glad to hear that it sounds like he's completely healed! Fingers crossed he gets his appetite up soon!

One thing I'm wondering is if maybe the prey you've been offering is too small for him to be truly interested? I completely understand why you want to start him off slowly, and it makes sense to offer smaller meals that are easier to digest.

One of our BP's, who is typically a reliable eater, went on a short little 3 week food strike a while back. The only thing that was different is that he had been eating weaned rats, but we switched to trying to offer 2 rat pups to use them up before placing another order. He wouldn't even flick his tongue at those rat pups. I didn't make the connection until we got in more weaned rats a few weeks later and he struck so hard and so fast he scared the crap out of my husband. 😀

I'm sure you probably found this in your research on his breeder (both of our carpets are from them) but figured I'd post it just in case. They have a very particular protocol for the prey they offer since they have so many snakes.

https://www.carpetpythons.com/feedin...t-pythons.html
    WhompingWillow,

I'd had this thought, but then got fixated on offering a different prey item - rat fuzzy's.

I am in the process of defrosting a small mouse - 19G (Yafe is 120-125G now). I'll advise shortly if he takes it. He's cruising the tank now. Maybe this is it? He needs bigger prey?

The biggest prey item I've offered to date was a 12G small mouse, but I was mostly offering 9-10G hoppers. The only thing he took was a 9G hopper. That could have been out of pure desperation.

This is a substantial increase in size.

Stay tuned........

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (12-07-2018)