Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,868

0 members and 2,868 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Hissing is imho not always aggression or defensiveness.

Its simply an expression. They do not have to many, and that is one of them. I never worry about hissing, unless its in conjunction with an upraised upper body or neck, head facing me, staring me down, tight s-curve. Then I may think, hm, I may get tagged.

A hissing while getting disturbed is akin to us saying "aaaaaawwwwww man" while someone shakes us to wake us up, and we don't feel like getting up. I don't even pay attention to it. They certainly have a right to voice their opinion, LOL.

I've been bitten 4 times since owning snakes (never by Ball Pythons). 2 out of them were nothing. Tiny Green Tree Python hatchlings that were taking a pop at me. Didn't even feel it, even though it left tiny marks. One was a carpet python. I felt that one. But again, no big deal. The 4th one Redtail Boa. OUCH. Definitely felt that one!!!

Neither of those hissed. Struck and bit faster then a speeding bullet

A bit of complaining doesn't bother me at all. I find it sort of cute when they talk back a bit
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-05-2019),Dianne (01-05-2019),pretends2bnormal (01-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Yafe - Albino Carpet - FINAL - Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post

Its simply an expression. They do not have to many, and that is one of them. I never worry about hissing, unless its in conjunction with an upraised upper body or neck, head facing me, staring me down, tight s-curve. Then I may think, hm, I may get tagged.

A hissing while getting disturbed is akin to us saying "aaaaaawwwwww man" while someone shakes us to wake us up, and we don't feel like getting up. I don't even pay attention to it. They certainly have a right to voice their opinion, LOL.

I've been bitten 4 times since owning snakes (never by Ball Pythons). 2 out of them were nothing. Tiny Green Tree Python hatchlings that were taking a pop at me. Didn't even feel it, even though it left tiny marks. One was a carpet python. I felt that one. But again, no big deal. The 4th one Redtail Boa. OUCH. Definitely felt that one!!!

A bit of complaining doesn't bother me at all. I find it sort of cute when they talk back a bit
    ^^ This ^^

I've had a few Burms over the years including a Half Dwarf Hypo ... anyways they're were all puppy tame and each one used to HISS whenever I reached in to touch them ... it seemed to be default reaction to being disturbed . They never bit or even struck though ..
    Just hissed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-05-2019),zina10 (01-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    ^^ This ^^

I've had a few Burms over the years including a Half Dwarf Hypo ... anyways they're were all puppy tame and each one used to HISS whenever I reached in to touch them ... it seemed to be default reaction to being disturbed . They never bit or even struck though ..
    Just hissed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you both. I never thought of that, for some reason!

It was hardly aggressive, so you may have a really good point.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (01-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    No, it's not "aggressive", just expressing his opinion. "I vant to be alone & I just got comfortable, for Pete's sake."

You can't blame him for asscociating you with treatments- I think it might wear off in time, assuming the best, of course.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-05-2019 at 02:26 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-05-2019),zina10 (01-05-2019)

Thanks

A little less hissing today and a happy Yafe, with much less popping and puffing noises when he came out. He wasn't out long, again, but he peed again. Boy did he pee! 10G worth of pee and urate. He was 150G yesterday and 140G today!

Here is a video of him going back in his tank: https://streamable.com/yz4f3

Here is a picture of him showing of his "carpet python" skills! "Look Dad! You know I can hang on one branch. But, did you know I can hang on both at the same time?"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Such talent! Where's the Hollywood agents when you need them? He's looking great! "Happy tongue" indeed...

Those perches just lift out, don't they? Why not put something on them for more traction? (could even be a few replaceable
    rubber bands)

I was just thinking, even parents of HUMAN babies don't weigh their kids before & after poo...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-05-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Such talent! Where's the Hollywood agents when you need them? He's looking great! "Happy tongue" indeed...

Those perches just lift out, don't they? Why not put something on them for more traction? (could even be a few replaceable
    rubber bands)

I was just thinking, even parents of HUMAN babies don't weigh their kids before & after poo...
    LOL. Yeah, he's pretty talented. Really getting the carpet python thing down. He was in a tub previously, but instinct is kicking in!

The perches do lift out, but they are cut to size and fit in pretty well and are roughed up with sand paper. They have yet to turn. However, he is small now. The rubber bands are a great idea, especially as he gets bigger and heavier.

Finally, last time I checked, human babies don't pee and poo once a week or every couple of weeks respectively. Makes weighing a lot easier. Also, I won't be as particular about it when he's totally out of the woods. I literally hadn't weighed him since he started eating (tried to leave him alone to heal). Then 2X in 2 days. Trying to get a baseline. I'm bad, but not that bad. Give me a little credit Bogertophis!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Yafe looks good in the new digs Dave. He's the master of his domain . I love those perches too. Does boaphile sell them separately? I wonder if they'd fit a 4ft AP cage.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Yafe looks good in the new digs Dave. He's the master of his domain . I love those perches too. Does boaphile sell them separately? I wonder if they'd fit a 4ft AP cage.
    Thanks EL-Ziggy. He really does. It's so gratifying to see him happy and enjoying his new home. He's definitely the "Master of His Domain!" Hence hissing at me. "Dad, this is my house! I MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!"

The perches are PVC pipe. Jeff Ronne/The Boaphile sends one size with the tanks, and places the holders wherever you want them (my tank was custom as he generally makes arboreal tanks no bigger than 3FT and only has one PVC pipe holder). However, I got that black PVC, cut to size, for $8 at home depot.

Jeff sent 1 7/8" in white, but I liked the black and grabbed some 2" at home depot. The holders will hold 13/16" all the way to 2 3/8". The holders are roughed up as well as the PVC (I used a quick sand paper job to rough up the new PVC pipe so it wouldn't spin and to give Yafe more grip) and do not spin.

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/arborealcages.html

I imagine Jeff could sell you the holders separately and you could install them in any tank. A couple screws hold them in and then you could get PVC pipe to fit tight in whatever size tank you have.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-06-2019)

Thanks

Yafe ate 5 days ago, but I wanted to get him on a Sunday feeding schedule along with all the other snakes.

I figured I'd offer tonight and if he didn't eat, I'd offer again next Sunday.

Not only did he eat, he ate from his top branch! It was awesome to see him eating like a true Carpet Python! GO YAFE!

He must be feeling much better and getting his strength back!

I am so happy.

He will be on a weekly feeding schedule for a bit and then as he gets bigger, every two weeks, and eventually, possibly every 3 weeks, depending on the size meals I feed him.

Here are pictures of him eating the "Carpet Python Way" and then finishing swallowing and feeling full and happy.

P.S. EL-Ziggy and Bogertophis, notice the rubber bands! The top perch was cut perfectly and fits really snug. The bottom one, not as well. The rubber bands help a lot. The ones I got from Jeff are both very snug and there is no issue. If cut with a table saw, I imagine it would be better, but for $8, home depot cut with a human and a regular saw. I wanted to see how this size fit, but if I get more, I'll have them cut with a table saw, or I'll have my buddy who has one cut them for me.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (01-07-2019),EL-Ziggy (01-07-2019),richardhind1972 (01-09-2019)

Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast