Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,099

0 members and 3,099 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Smeagols diet!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Smeagols diet!

When I first got Smeagol as a tiny little gecko, I used to worry so much about what he would eat. I would constantly see that you should feed them Crested Gecko Diet smoothies, since they are a balanced diet. And to stay away from insects until they eat those smoothies well.

Smeagol did not like the smoothies much at all. And I bought EVERY single flavor there is, of every kind that are balanced.

He would take a couple of licks and then wander off. During my research it said to let them go hungry, for weeks if need be. Well, I decided to try Dubia roaches and OMG he went to town on them. Ate them like candy. LOVED them.

Hopped on my hand in anticipation of his buggies. So I made those roaches as healthy as can be by feeding them fresh and good food, on top of a good Dubia roach meal. They got dusted really well with a quality Mineral supplement before offering to Smeagol. His growing took off and he quickly got a good size on him. I still offered the Crested Diet food and he still grudgingly licked some here and there, but he really wanted his bugs.

After researching that it has been established the young crested geckos eat more insects then anything else in the wild, while the adults feed more on fruits etc, I stopped worrying about it.

Fast forward to a crestie that gained a good amount of weight and growth. He suddenly decided that he likes his smoothies !!! Mind you, he is still picky about which ones, but he will finish almost all of his CGD food every time. Suddenly the Dubias are "meh" to him. He will take one here and there, but his enthusiasm over them is gone at this time.

He continues to look healthy, he continues to be a funny little dude and will still hop on my hand to come out and hang out (even without trying to get to the bugs..) So all in all I worried for nothing.

Yes, I need to make new pictures of the Dude Yesterday he decided to come out of his cage and then just perch on my hand for the longest time. He usually doesn't sit still for long, so I kept wondering what he was up to (mostly I wondered if he is about to have a bowel movement on my hand, haha) Guess he was just enjoying the view.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-22-2018),distaff (10-22-2018),dr del (10-22-2018),Jus1More (10-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Smeagols diet!

Awesome Zina10!

Glad he's dong so well. He's a great little guy!

I would love to give Ezzy some roaches, but Katie doesn't want her eating anything live. She said we could give her a F/T pinkie, and I am all about that. However, I read that more often than not, they will want more yummy food like pinkies, roaches, etc. and may not eat the Gecko Diet powder/gel well. She's been eating that goop her whole life and seems to like it and has been maintaining weight (she's an adult). So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Really happy Smeogol's doing great and you figured out some cool ways to mix up his diet. He sounds like he's your little buddy too. So cool!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

zina10 (10-22-2018)