Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,085

1 members and 2,084 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Hello from Colorado!

Hi there! I'm Trinity, and for the past week or so I've gained an interest in snakes, Ball Pythons specifically. I was originally into parrots, and I still really am. I researched and studied on them for three years, before I finally came to the realization that I just wouldn't have enough time to properly care for a bird that needs 6+ hours of attention daily, on top of my two dogs, school, and sports. I happened across an article on BPs. They seemed really interesting, and a great pet for my lifestyle. I've never owned a snake before, and the closest I've come is pet-sitting a friend's pair of leopard geckos. My mom had to feed them, as I hold a strong dislike for insects. I have no problem with mice or rats though, and I'm fine with feeding them to a snake. Apparently most Ball Pythons tolerate being petted and held, but don't need constant attention like a bird or dog. This works out perfectly, as I would like a pet that I can pet and hang around, but won't beg for attention when I'm already tired after school, karate, and caring for two dogs. (A cat isn't an option, half my family is allergic )

The only obstacle is convincing my parents, who think that even small constrictors are dangerous. Yes, I know BPs can get up to 5 feet, but that's still a small constrictor. They won't be too hard to convince, as their fear is from a lack of experience and not a bad one. I'm waiting at least a few months before even MENTIONING I want a snake, though, as I want to make sure I still want one after some time. In that time, I'll be trying to learn as much as possible! It's so nice to meet you all!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to New2Noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-21-2018),dr del (10-22-2018),Michelle-07 (10-21-2018),MR Snakes (11-27-2018)

Thanks

Re: Hello from Colorado!

Hi, greetings from Czech Republic and welcome! It's nice to have someone new who is like me, just waiting few months even to read everything and saving money for bp...
    Originally i wanted a chinchilla, but.. My bf has a strong allergy to like anything with fur And I was in love with snakes all my life but mum was like NO, that's too hard to care for... So I ended up with 2 cats, 2 dogs, 1 mouse (yes, I do like mice as pets but has no problem with feeding them to snakes, everyone has to eat and snakes don't do it for fun, unlike people sometimes do...) and I'm almost 18 now, so she has agreed very soon. She thinks it's really responsibl to choose animal that is not keen on some attention daily, because I have school, job, student work for school in lab,... Yeah. I think you've made a right decision!!

Also, the fact you're going to search everything months before is great! I'm researching everything for a few months now, still has a lot to learn... Feel free to PM me and we can talk about anything

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michelle-07 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-21-2018),dr del (10-22-2018),New2Noodles (10-21-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome to the forum!!

You've come to a great place to learn while deciding if a anake is right for you.

Some things to consider:
    - male BPs stay smaller and most don't get more than 3 feet in length, so if you want to stay on the smaller side go for a male.

- BPs are extremely docile, which makes them a fantastic pet. However, they "tolerate" handling and, like you said, wont seek out atrention. That being said, theyre great for jyst relaxing with, but aren't typically comfortable being handled more than a few times a week and for typically about a half hour.

- also, do your home work on their finicky appetites and eating habits. It's not something that should worry you, as ling as you've done research and expect it without worrying too much.

- ask all the questions you may have, we're happy to help. Read, read, read and read some more. The more we know about our pets the better we can care for them.

Good luck! You're in a great place to learn!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-29-2018),dr del (10-22-2018),New2Noodles (10-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    As others already said, it's great that you're researching & thinking about this for a while first. Many make mistakes by "impulse-buying" pets.

There are also many kinds of snakes that make good pets, don't get too big and are not as finicky as ball pythons when it comes to food...also, BPs need
    warmer enclosures with more humidity than many other snakes do; while they're not the "easiest" to care for, you'll have more interest in & probably take
    better care of whatever kind of snake appeals most to you. We'll be happy to suggest other kinds if you'd like...we don't just stick to BPs here, despite the
    forum name. We like them all...for many of us, snakes are like "potato chips", lol.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-29-2018),dr del (10-22-2018),New2Noodles (10-21-2018)

Thanks
    Welcome! And where in Colorado are you? Lived in CO from 99' to 03'.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Belated WELCOME !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Is the OP still with us?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    Is the OP still with us?
    Let's hope so. But from her first post, she's not in a rush (hooray!) & planning to research for a couple months before trying to get approval, & to make sure she still
    has the interest to go forward...so I'd assume she's just reading up for a while? That's the best approach anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Let's hope so. But from her first post, she's not in a rush (hooray!) & planning to research for a couple months before trying to get approval, & to make sure she still
    has the interest to go forward...so I'd assume she's just reading up for a while? That's the best approach anyway.
    OK, she gets a pass.............for now.

Thanks

Hello and welcome, fellow Coloradoan! Props for taking the time to do research and plan first before deciding to bring home a new friend. That alone Will pay dividends, whether or not you end up acquring one.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry