Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,664

3 members and 1,661 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lol Hides

Thanks

Lol Hides

So I was looking for some appropriately sized hides at the dollar store and only found giant bowls for my lil guy so just to make him feel better I trimmed up a couple tiny Dixie cups and tossed them in as well.

Apparently he prefers them because they are the perfect fit.

He seems to be adjusting well. I regularly find him in the corners of his tank just sitting before he heads back to hide.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elekia For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (10-24-2018)

Thanks

Re: Lol Hides

I used those same dollar store bowls! I found my guy preferred hides with steeper sides that he could curl up against, but even those were sometimes too light for him. He would quite often "fall out" of those blue cereal bowls. He does the same thing with the rectangular hides I've got him now though. I much prefer dollar store hides to the commercial ones since you can adjust the size of their opening and he'll eventually outgrow it anyway!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to elleon For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I use these because they are low and give security on all sides,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plant-Sau...vcrU:rk:7:pf:0

They do degrade though - I just prefer the slightly greater weight of them.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-22-2018)

Thanks

Okay so Dixie cups were a terrible idea. Little monster thinks he's Houdini. My husband watched him coil up on the Dixie cups and head to the lid. Sorry for the glare on the second pic but I was border line freaking out and didnt have time to get a good pic before I put him back where he belongs.

So I was going to keep him on paper towels til his quarantine was over but he got really mad at me for removing the Dixie cups so I gave him aspen and he drove in so happily. He was trucking around like a graboid when I left for work.

Last edited by dr del; 10-24-2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: removing censor trip

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

That sort of cage lip-exploring is pretty par for the course. That's why you have to make sure you have screen lid clips, at least 2, but preferably 4.

I had a 15g kingsnake at 11-13" long get up onto an edge of a tub that was 12" tall... nothing in his cage at the time stood more than 1-2" off the ground and nothing against the walls, so I am still baffled how he did it without any height assistance from decor.

But point being... they will do that, especially as they get big enough to reach on their own, so securing the lid is most important. Corns seem to really like the tight space it provides far better than any hides, so that will probably happen again at some point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    That sort of cage lip-exploring is pretty par for the course. That's why you have to make sure you have screen lid clips, at least 2, but preferably 4.

I had a 15g kingsnake at 11-13" long get up onto an edge of a tub that was 12" tall... nothing in his cage at the time stood more than 1-2" off the ground and nothing against the walls, so I am still baffled how he did it without any height assistance from decor.

But point being... they will do that, especially as they get big enough to reach on their own, so securing the lid is most important. Corns seem to really like the tight space it provides far better than any hides, so that will probably happen again at some point.

The tank is a temporary measure til my flexwatt tape comes in and I can get my rack set up. Still waiting on the last few pieces that should come in by the end of the week. But it's good to know that he will do it to the tubs as well.

I know they are escape artists but seeing it happen and having a surprise noodle fall out at you was far more startling than I care to admit. Thankfully he didn't fall and my kitten wasnt around. -_-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elekia View Post
    The tank is a temporary measure til my flexwatt tape comes in and I can get my rack set up. Still waiting on the last few pieces that should come in by the end of the week. But it's good to know that he will do it to the tubs as well.

I know they are escape artists but seeing it happen and having a surprise noodle fall out at you was far more startling than I care to admit. Thankfully he didn't fall and my kitten wasnt around. -_-

If you don't want to get clips, at least plop a good 5 to 10 pounds on the short edges (~5 each). That should be plenty of weight to keep it secure short term. Just don't forget to put them back after opening the tank up. Textbooks or cookbooks should work for that, if you don't have any weights. Try to center it so the glass tank is supporting the weight rather than the screen part of the lid.

I used a gasket file box for that king so it had a handy lip for him to squeeze into. I was using it as a stand alone tub, and not in a rack, so ymmv with rack tubs. They usually don't have a handy lip on them I don't think.

The king in question actually slipped out of a DIY frugal herper rack at 2x the size of a corn I raised in it and went missing for 4.5 months at 11grams last January, so be super careful about ventilation hole size and the gap along the top. I'm still not sure what got him out since all of those should have been plenty small.... (and I confirmed the tub was not open front or back).

I don't have a picture of the king doing it, but my milksnake liked up high tight spots too.. like behind his tube light for a few weeks while he fit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    If you don't want to get clips, at least plop a good 5 to 10 pounds on the short edges (~5 each). That should be plenty of weight to keep it secure short term. Just don't forget to put them back after opening the tank up. Textbooks or cookbooks should work for that, if you don't have any weights. Try to center it so the glass tank is supporting the weight rather than the screen part of the lid.

I used a gasket file box for that king so it had a handy lip for him to squeeze into. I was using it as a stand alone tub, and not in a rack, so ymmv with rack tubs. They usually don't have a handy lip on them I don't think.

The king in question actually slipped out of a DIY frugal herper rack at 2x the size of a corn I raised in it and went missing for 4.5 months at 11grams last January, so be super careful about ventilation hole size and the gap along the top. I'm still not sure what got him out since all of those should have been plenty small.... (and I confirmed the tub was not open front or back).

I don't have a picture of the king doing it, but my milksnake liked up high tight spots too.. like behind his tube light for a few weeks while he fit.

Wow that's crazy!! And I've seen several posts where snakes have gone missing after being introduced to new tubs etc. Its really tempting to put screen over the vent holes just as a double precaution til he gets bigger.

As I have 3 cats in my house I am not sure how successful an escape attempt would go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elekia View Post
    Wow that's crazy!! And I've seen several posts where snakes have gone missing after being introduced to new tubs etc. Its really tempting to put screen over the vent holes just as a double precaution til he gets bigger.

As I have 3 cats in my house I am not sure how successful an escape attempt would go.

If you secured it well, you could make larger holes and cover with window screen mesh (silicone in place or hot glue), the plastic type, to use as ventilation. Tubs tend to hold humidity high anyway, and if the plan is corn snakes that isnt needed.

I've got a high prey drive dog in the house who didn't manage to find him for almost 5 months, so it may not be too bleak if you track an escapee down quickly. Depends how much clutter he has to hide in that cats can't navigate easily. Or it'll tip you off if a cat is digging somewhere weird.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    MY pueblan is almost 200g and he still lid surfs. I have a huge block of marble that sits on the top.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-24-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast