Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,070

0 members and 1,070 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

Snappy BP's...help!

Omg my BP's at work will NOT calm down! They are all snappy! All.of.them! What can I do to help them chill out? In three years this is my first batch that will NOT settle! Ugh! Help me!

They are are all eating fine.
    All between 160-200g
    shed fine

i even changed their enclosure to have a hit hide and a cool hide. Ambient temps I adjusted too so they have a hot side and a cool side. Added more plants. Went in today and snapped at me again. They are just being jerks!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Snappy BP's...help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Omg my BP's at work will NOT calm down! They are all snappy! All.of.them! What can I do to help them chill out? In three years this is my first batch that will NOT settle! Ugh! Help me!

All between 160-200g
    shed fine

i even changed their enclosure to have a hit hide and a cool hide. Ambient temps I adjusted too so they have a hot side and a cool side. Added more plants. Went in today and snapped at me again. They are just being jerks!
    Changed to having two hides warm and cool .... what did they have before ??

Best give a quick breakdown of the setups ... a photo or two is also worth a thousand words sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (10-20-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

My smaller ones calm down quite a bit if i totally stuff them full of food.
    *.* TNTC

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

dr del (10-22-2018),Sunnieskys (10-20-2018)

Thanks

My Banana YB female that I got from Dynasty is the only snappy one. She’s been like that since I got her at 270g and is around 1200g now and still can be. I originally attributed it to Chun having such a large operation that the bp’s don’t really get handled. This is what I’ve done and it has seemed to help but still a work in progress.

Slightly more frequent handling sessions, but much shorter duration. This varies and is dependent upon her mood/ behavior on a given day. Some days she is handled 3-5mins and others she is cool for 10 mins or so. Don’t push it and see what they tolerate. Build trust by showing her she will not get hurt when handled.

If she snaps, I don’t put her right back in her tub. I set her on the carpet and when she snaps I cover her head from behind so she balls up and hold there until I feel her relax.

I always put her back when she is calm. End handling on a good/ positive note when they are relaxed.

Like the previous poster mentioned, she seems less prone to snap when she is given a larger meal.

She is the only one of my 4 who is like that and I’m not sure it will ever fully get out of her, but she has improved drastically. It just doesn’t happen overnight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons
    0.1 Spinner -“Cuddle Bug”
    0.1 Banana YB - “Chiquita Bonita”
    0.1 Super Lesser BEL - “Daenerys - Mother of Dragons”
    1.0 Pastel Highway - “Lt. Pete ‘Maverick’ Mitchell

1.0 Super Citrus Bearded Dragon hopefully shipping mid-March, name pending.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt7212 For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (10-20-2018)

Thanks

Mine aren't very snappy at all, but I do have a few that are a bit overly eager about feeding, lol. I've found that if one snaps at me, the others all wake up and go into feeding mode, because they heard a strike and think it's dinner time.

Are they showing defensive behavior other than the striking? Being tense, puffing up, hissing, etc?

If it's just a feeding response, a light touch on the top or back of the head will almost always put a stop to it. I usually just use my hand, but a snake hook or empty paper towel roll will work just as well.

If they're truly defensive, they will probably need to be handled more. Might also help to offer them more hides if possible. Even adding some cage clutter, like clumps of sphagnum moss, may help them feel more secure and hopefully calm them down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by greco; 10-20-2018 at 09:28 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greco For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (10-20-2018),Zincubus (10-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post

All between 160-200g
    shed fine

Are they housed together in one enclosure? If so,how many to an enclosure?

They could be competing for the most ideal spots and be defensive and grumpy from not being allowed to fully relax. Most snappy ones I've come across were either defensive little ones or overly hungry ones. Rarely have I seen a truly aggressive BP. I'm sure they exist, but if the entire group is acting that way, then its either 1. Husbandry 2. genetics?

If possible and if they are together, separate. Since they are eating well, start handling. Short but often. If they get into a striking position (huffy, tense, s-coil) then gently tap them on the head (GENTLY) with a empty paper towel roll or something like that. You can use your hand. Come from ABOVE if possible, not from the front. They should pull their head in and retreat from the crabbyness. Right then you just swoop in and pick them up. Don't hesitate, use deliberate but gentle movements. If they get tense and crabby again in the hand, cover their heads and body with your other hand and apply VERY GENTLE pressure, until you feel them relax, then remove the other hand and let them look around, explore, etc. Keep it SHORT AND SWEET and return them gently to the enclosure before they have a chance to get over stressed or crabby again. When returning, put your hand into the enclosure and let them slither off. Don't just "dump" them in quickly. Everything needs to be deliberate but calm and gentle.

The defensive ones give up that stink eye behavior really quickly. But you HAVE to give them the correct husbandry, that is a stress free environment, so that they can relax between handling sessions.

I've had a couple of really defensive hatchlings last year, they were also my best eaters. They gave up that behavior within a few days and turned out to be the BEST pet BP's you could ask for. One worker where I board my horse at has one of them, so I hear about Monty all the time. Monty was the least fearful BP of all my hatchlings, always exploring, you could touch his head and he never jerked back. To this day his owner is in love with him and tells me how great he is. That snake knows no fear or stress and eats every time. As chill a snake as a snake can be You just have to set them up right and take a bit of time. I by NO MEANS over handled my hatchlings, either. He calmed down simply from getting used to being taken out to do maintenance and a few times in between to get him to realize nothing bad is going to happen. The gentle "cupping" technique worked wonders and only had to be done two or three times.

The "bold" BP's can turn out to be the best ones, I feel that the shy, fearful ones need a LOT more time and patience. Unfortunately most people are drawn to the fearful/shy ones, because they appear "tame". Which can quickly turn into being handled way to much, then come the feeding problems, etc etc...

Good luck with the little dragons
    Last edited by zina10; 10-20-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2018),Damselle (10-20-2018),Dianne (10-20-2018),distaff (10-20-2018),Sunnieskys (10-20-2018),SVT Wylde (10-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    I have a hunch it might be genetic, with all the selective breeding of BPs...especially since the OP has plenty of experience.
    There are some others around like this: I remember reading about one in a rescue, but I think one of the morphs also has this tendency...wasn't it cinnamon?

Like zina10 just said, I don't mind snappy baby snakes as they're bold enough to feed & I sure don't fear taming them...unfortunately, the typical buyer is
    a beginner that may not "enjoy" these little "snapdragons" as much as I would.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (10-20-2018),Sunnieskys (10-20-2018),zina10 (10-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I have three in one enclosure. Yes...yes I know. They send three at a time, I have no choice or I would only order one.

"proper protocol" is to have one log hide (except it is stone) up against the front glass and only one one side. Water dish on the other side with one plant in the back middle. I have always hated this set up and the only time I do this is if I'm having an animal walk and then I change it when they leave.

I changed it to turning the hide so it is against the back wall opening facing the middle. Added another hide to the other side again facing the middle. That way people are not tapping the glass and sticking their faces up to the glass to bother them. I moved the water dish to the front middle. Added plants in the front of the glass next to the water bowl on each side for more privacy. Also a plant in the back middle between the hides. I lowered the temp on one side so they can thermoregulate.

They are are all on adult mice and eat well. I handle them often to try to calm them down. I have tried everything people have suggested. They are still snappy.

Like i said this is the first batch in three years like this. All my other snakes I could take out, give to people to hold, kiss their faces even. Not with these jerks. I can barely stick my hand in their cage. I have tried holding and covering. How the heck can I sell them as snappy things!

They also have a double enclosure so like a 20L roughly.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

i know you know you're stuff so ill keep this simple:

short yet frequent handling sessions. >5 minute sessions like every other day, and always ending on a "positive" e.g. they've finally started trying to get away from you instead of staying in a defensive pose.

tell your customers this: snappy babies usually make the best feeders! keep us posted on them!!!
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 10-20-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2018),Sunnieskys (10-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

I've never known a feisty Royal just aggressive feeders !?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast