Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,384

1 members and 1,383 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Getting a shy BP used to handling.

SO that albino I got about a month ago has been quite the cute little hissing shy python I don't really blame him due to conditions of his purchase. But I would like to try and gain some trust with my snakes I was blessed with the most chill normal BP for my first and this guy is proving difficult he strikes and coils and hisses not all at once.

But each of the few if I get too terribly close to his hide and he sees me coming without food(when feeding he takes the prey and leaves no attention to anything else except to drag the rat through the hide.) Now I would like to hear what you all do to help ease the shyness out of your reptile family.

Also once out of his enclosure, he is a wonderful handle it is getting him out If I approach from the entrance he freaks but if a lift the hide and grab typically he is alright as long as I am away from his head.

So I think he may have a massive case of head shyness from being in the middle of a pet store intersection with LOTS of traffic and only a half-log to hide in. While in a glass terrarium low enough of children to poke at him all day.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Time is what it needs. Handle in short sessions, 2x a week and not on the day before feeding unless you have to (Prevent your hand from being mistaken for food) and not 48 hours after feeding. And not back to back handling days. I handle mine when he was hissing and pissed at me by blocking his view using his plastic hide (6 inch flower dish) so he can't see me picking him up. Over time, once he feels comfortable enough, you can go without blocking his view. Don't loom over him or get him from the top. Go from the side.

It took about 2 months until Banana is comfortable with me so I can go and pick him up without any hissing or issues. Now it has been almost 10 months, he trusts me enough where I can pet his head for a few seconds.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Getting a shy BP used to handling.

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    SO that albino I got about a month ago
    You say 'a month' like it is a long time-Give it a few months. Not only will the snake learn your habits: you will learn theirs as well.

Also: I don't touch my snakes on the head (they are not cats/dogs), a lot of them don't like it: I don't see what is gained by pressing the issue. Respect.
    *.* TNTC

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Time & lots of patience for sure. Remember how HUGE we are to a frightened little snake...it may help to handle them "under cover" of a hand towel for a while,
    so they learn they are warm & safe with your scent & with you touching them, without having to see this scary "giant" hovering over them.

While snakes feel threatened when you try to "pet their head" (news flash, even dogs aren't crazy about that), once they relax when I handle mine, I make a point
    of casually touching their heads as they crawl thru my hands. Same thing for tails, another "flash point". This way they usually do learn that we aren't a threat,
    even if touching their more sensitive areas. BTW, they don't seem to mine a chin stroke, going front to back only (w/ direction of scales) but don't hurry this
    process...we are over-coming their natural instincts where normally only a predator picks them up, and NOT for social reasons, much less help of any kind.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-18-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thank you all for the information, I am not in a hurry I will wait a bit more as he just started shedding again(Another post about this later).

I just want him to enjoy himself and others and let others do the same. Well that and a nagging sister who insists on holding the "Yellow snake." xD

I shall start the process of handle training is what I shall call it. Unless there is already a name for it.

Once his shed is over which going by progress should be about the time I feed this week.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    FYI: the time you are MOST likely to get bit is when you approach your snake. There are good reasons for this: we are big scary GIANTS, and remember that
    while snakes use vision to chase motion (catch their prey) they DO NOT see well enough to identify what's heading their way...for identification, they need scent
    and touch to recognize, so do your best to communicate in ways they can understand. In time, most snakes become calmer when they learn they have nothing
    to fear, and you sure don't want to get bit either by mistake (food?) or because of their fear & panic.

"Hook training" allows you to touch the snake (using a snake hook or similar safe thing to reach him with) keeping your hand out of reach while the snake realizes
    you aren't food & in time, remembers you. For most of my snakes, I blow air across the palm of my hand thru the screen top* toward them...they flick their tongues
    to get my scent & quickly know I'm not food, & then they back up. (*I don't currently keep BPs, I have mostly colubrids.) There are other variations, just use what
    works for you & your snake to communicate & avoid bites. Don't take it "personally" if your new snake coils or hisses upon your approach...he's just terrified and
    defending himself as best he can...it's not "aggression".