Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,172

1 members and 3,171 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tanks vs tubs?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    What is better? Tank, Cage, Tub?

That question is just about as old as keeping reptiles as pets. Truth is all 3 can be done right and can be done wrong. On each side of the argument you will have people that believe that their way is the only right way, and the arguments get heated.

IMHO it strongly depends on the species as well. For instance, BP's do exceptionally well in tubs. I believe that "enrichment" for a Ball Python is a extremely private, dark and tight place to be. I've had all versions of reptile enclosures and I've kept BP's for about 19 years now. That doesn't make me an expert, and there are people that kept them for longer. But it did give me a good chance to observe the animals in different settings and notice where they seemed to thrive the most, and which setup seemed the most ideal FOR THIS SPECIES.

I'm extremely OCD when it comes to animals, esp. my animals. I re-search thoroughly and all the time. I observe. I am a stickler for having things just right. I also used to rehab severely ill, emaciated and imported Ball Pythons, true challenges.

When it comes to Ball Pythons, I'm strictly in the "Tub" camp. That said, I do have one large BP male in a beautiful display cage. However, this gorgeous eye candy setup is really more for my enjoyment, then it is for his. I'm 100% sure that he would be just as happy (if not happier) in a tub.

There are many species I wouldn't set up in tubs. The ones that like a lot of space, use it all, climb and observe. Those are the ones that take the most advantage of such a setup, and you will enjoy seeing the snakes out in the open. I only have 6 BP's. 5 in a rack. I could get a stack of 5 cages, I have the funds, I have the space. But I feel they are perfectly happy where they are and I'm leaving them housed the way they are for THEIR sake. I might at some point add display cages, but most likely they would be for another species.

Glass Tanks are imho the worst for a species such as the BP. You can make them work, of course. But it takes the most effort to make them work for a species that need to have specific humidity, tons of privacy and a controlled ambient temperature. Glass tanks are great for certain lizards, or for snakes that need it dry and either burrow or don't mind the more "exposed" feel of the glass tank.

That brings me to PVC cages. All the rage. And after all, most racks are made out of PVC as well. But...PVC IS the most toxic plastic out there. That's just a fact. It out gasses throughout its life (more in the beginning of course) and heating it or having higher humidity increases the toxins.
    Now, you will hear everyone say, its worked for me for years. My animals are fine. Etc etc. But PVC is PVC. We take those risks, as many feel that the benefits outweigh the risks.

http://www.coverttruth.com/posts/pvc-outgassing

Then you have some manufacturer that use some form of plastics that is less toxic then PVC. Neodesha comes to mind (love those) Not sure what showcages.com uses, but they are also great cages.

Long story short, there are benefits and negatives to all of the different options. All can be done right, or wrong. One should keep the species and its needs in mind, as well.

To me the only wrong thing is to believe that there is only one right way.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (10-20-2018),distaff (10-20-2018),dr del (10-22-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Tanks vs tubs?

Zina makes a good point about species specific enclosure considerations.
    This is a BP board, and maybe there is not much air circulation inside a termite mound.

The author of my book on the Bogertophis genus, The Complete Suboc, by Dusty Rhoades (pen name?), cautions against enclosures with limited air circulation for Bogertophis. Given that, if I were going to use tubs for my Trans Pecos rats, or Rosalies, I would use a circular drill bit on the tub, and install those circular snap-on screen vents that insect breeders commonly use.

I've been intending to get garters for years. I'd prefer a set-up that has lots of vertical climbing branches, and a lighted basking area.

Thanks

Re: Tanks vs tubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    What type/s of snakes ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    They're all BPs.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post: