Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,107

0 members and 3,107 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the deaths of my hermit crabs: Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel. All went into molt at the same time, Lucy before the rest. She emerged weak and with limbs missing, likely from stress. The other three were hungry during molt and ate each other.

Lucy is especially important to me. She actually saved my life. I struggle with really bad depression, and there was a day when I was prepared to kill myself. I looked over and saw that their bedding needed to be changed. I knew that nobody would find me for several days, and that I couldn't leave them like that, so I changed it. I took all of them out, their decor, did a bedding change, wiped everything down, replaced the decor, and started putting the crabs back. Lucy, the smallest by far, was the last to be put in. I was sitting there, still depressed, just... staring at this tiny little life resting in the palm of my hand. And she chose that moment to start singing and chirping. If no one has ever heard it before, hermit crab songs are very cute and also oddly beautiful in a way.

It was a really beautiful moment. I broke down and started crying. I knew better than to try and hug her (I had never been pinched before then; since the Ricardos and the Mertzes have passed, I actually have been, and it's deterred me from replacing them). That little crab saved my life. It's amazing what a little shellbug named for a sitcom character can do.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arirang For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-17-2018),tttaylorrr (10-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I've never had the pleasure of knowing a hermit crab, & I had no idea (before your post) that they can "sing" or make any sounds-
    that's really cool to know, but then again, I think most all life-forms are pretty miraculous. I hope you'll remember that you too are a precious life-form and
    if not a hermit crab, find another pet to give you a reason to stay upbeat & feeling needed. Maybe find a local group of others to talk with, there are so many
    others who suffer with depression...please do get some real help?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel

hey friend.

i'm so incredibly sorry for your loss. my animals have almost certainly saved my life when i felt i didn't have the strength, despite their simple existence and tolerance of me.

people who don't keep pets like ours find it hard to empathize.

years ago i actually planned my date and was ready to leave (before i had any animals), but something kept me wondering what i'd miss...and i realized i was just desperate for relief. lots of help and self-love and -focus brought me to an amazing place where i could expend the energy to care for more than myself.

just know you're not alone, even here. we talk about depression and mental health quite a bit here actually, so don't be afraid to find those threads and reach out; we're a community here.

EDIT:
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 10-18-2018 at 12:37 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-18-2018),Dianne (10-18-2018)

Thanks
    Yes, I'm seeing a therapist now. That was actually what prompted me to do so. My depression is much better now.

I'm thinking of using their tank for a White's treefrog. Cute little bumbies. Friendly, too.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arirang For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-18-2018),Dianne (10-18-2018),tttaylorrr (10-18-2018)