Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,910

1 members and 2,909 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Kings and food: how much is enough? :)

Greetings!
    I have a year old MBK, about 100g, eating 2 peach fuzzy mice every 5 days (soon to start so-called normal fuzzies).

I wonder...
    In nature, they would come upon a nest of mice usually containing 5-8 fuzzies... Would they eat all of them? All 8?
    When enough is enough? (maybe strictly rhetorical question with kings though...)

PS: the sucker was trying to ingest my pointer finger for 30 min...
    1.0 Pied (Mortimer)
    1.2 Normal (Basil, Rodie, Annie, Stormi)
    1.0 Cinnamon GS (Devon)
    0.1 Vanilla [?] (Flora)
    0.1 Orange Dream (Rodie)
    1.0 Mex Black Kingsnake (Blackie)
    and various other creatures

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    At 100 grams I would say you could feed larger prey, fuzzies or even hoppers if they're on the smaller side. With juvenile Kings I always shoot for prey that leaves a slightly noticeable lump in the snakes stomach.

Kings have voracious appetites and would eat more, I'm sure. In the case you mentioned in the wild, they would likely gobble up all they can, because they are opportunistic feeders not knowing when their next meal will come. In captivity, we have the luxury to feed them weekly, so we can regulate their intake and feed on a healthier schedule.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-17-2018),Bogertophis (10-17-2018),EL-Ziggy (10-17-2018),Jus1More (10-19-2018),RickyNY (10-16-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (10-17-2018)

Thanks
    I aim for one appropriately sized meal (right about the size of her girth) per week for my adult. Every now and then I give her two as a treat, but not often. She's plenty fat enough lol.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (10-17-2018),Jus1More (10-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Kings and food: how much is enough? :)

So I have Oreo, California King. She is the diameter of a dime. She is 2 and half feet long. Was hoping she would bulk up a little but for now all her growth seams to go into length over mass. She can not eat a huge meal but does eat 3 hopper mice a week. Would she eat more? Absolutely but she is trained to 3. She can count. I offer 1. She eats. Then the second right as she pops her head out. Then the third when she pops her head out a third time. Then she knows more is not coming so she stays inside her hide. The only time I see her out of her hide is when hunting or receiving food. I am sure she drinks daily and does come out when I am sleeping but is rare to see her out. She has such a food drive that she struck a stream of water pouring into her water dish. Yes they will eat and eat.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-17-2018),Jus1More (10-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    So I have Oreo, California King. She is the diameter of a dime. She is 2 and half feet long. Was hoping she would bulk up a little but for now all her growth seams to go into length over mass. She can not eat a huge meal but does eat 3 hopper mice a week. Would she eat more? Absolutely but she is trained to 3. She can count. I offer 1. She eats. Then the second right as she pops her head out. Then the third when she pops her head out a third time. Then she knows more is not coming so she stays inside her hide. The only time I see her out of her hide is when hunting or receiving food. I am sure she drinks daily and does come out when I am sleeping but is rare to see her out. She has such a food drive that she struck a stream of water pouring into her water dish. Yes they will eat and eat.

I got a mature BP that the previous owner was feeding 3 mice a week and would do the same thing. I recently switched her over to a single rat and now after she downs it she goes on the prowl thinking more is on the way.

Thanks
    I feed my kings one prey item that is about the same diameter or a bit more as their body once a week. Most kings will eat until they puke, so one good sized meal a week is a good idea.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-17-2018),Jus1More (10-19-2018)

Thanks

My mbk when i had her was 50 grams and eating a hopper/lrg hopper every 5 to 10 days.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    I feed my kings one prey item that is about the same diameter or a bit more as their body once a week. Most kings will eat until they puke, so one good sized meal a week is a good idea.
    This. I've noticed that my older adults (> 4 years) slow down a bit over the winter. I don't bromate them but they still are aware of the seasonal changes. They more than make up for their mini-fasts in the spring though.

Bear in mind that most colubrids in captivity are overfed, which can lead to an early death due to obesity issues like fatty liver disease. Kings, corn/rat snakes, milk snakes, etc. should retain a more square than round body shape.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-18-2018),Jus1More (10-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    This. I've noticed that my older adults (> 4 years) slow down a bit over the winter. I don't bromate them but they still are aware of the seasonal changes. They more than make up for their mini-fasts in the spring though.

Bear in mind that most colubrids in captivity are overfed, which can lead to an early death due to obesity issues like fatty liver disease. Kings, corn/rat snakes, milk snakes, etc. should retain a more square than round body shape.
    Mine have never fasted, per say, but they do seem a bit less food aggressive in the winter.

And you are right about these guys being prone to obesity, my first king had to be put on a diet because the previous owner was feeding her small rats once a week. Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Eeden is on two hoppers now and at last weigh in was 150g. He is easily over that now if not close to 200g. He will keep eating if I let him. These little guys are so funny when they eat. I give him one, he chugs that sucker down, pops his head up, looks at me like "where is the next one" and I give him the second one and he goes into one of his hides and goes to sleep. He also tried to eat my finger once. He missed the mouse got my finger perfectly and started to try to swallow it. I had to pry his little face off because waiting him out wasn't working lol.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-19-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast