Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,346

0 members and 1,346 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Live or Frozen

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Live

7 14.58%
  • Frozen

41 85.42%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frozen VS Live

Thanks

Re: Frozen VS Live

I’m of the belief that all snakes will eat f/t if it’s done correctly. Live is only fun for us to watch until the snake gets a nasty bite. The only thing I will feed live is baby rodents that can’t do much damage.

Thanks
    I only feed mine live. My BP is 5 years old and has always been on a live diet. The previous owners said they tried everything and she just won't touch anything that is pre-killed. I haven't tried to switch to f/t since I made the decision to stick with live anyway. I don't look away for a second when feeding and I'm at the ready to intervene if needed. I kinda feel like that's the gift mother nature gave her and I don't wanna take that away from her. She eats like a fat kid going after cake so I just let her do her thing. That's just my opinion and I know I'm part of the minority. At the end of the day I know the risks involved and do what I can to keep it safe as possible. As long as individuals are being responsible and not doing it for sadistic reasons then I say to each their own. This is the kind of topic that if you ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers lol.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helonwheelz383 For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (10-19-2018),Pengil (10-20-2018)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    . I've seen it and I'm sure that the poor creature suffers. Snakes need to eat, and I have no great sympathy for rats, but all life deserves respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooda954 View Post
    I’m of the belief that all snakes will eat f/t if it’s done correctly. Live is only fun for us to watch until the snake gets a nasty bite.
    I am a firm believer in live feeding though for my convenience I have been working on switching everyone over to F/T for a long while now.
    I am also a believer in respecting life. Problem with F/T is people never think twice about the waste of a life when they throw out a second time thawed out rodent. Sounds like a waste and disrespect to that animal.
    Interesting that this topic came up today and I actually saw it. I came home to the smell of death in my house after work today. One of my first rescues was dead in her tub. Granted she was close to 12 years old and I have had her for more than half of that. She never skipped a meal when I was breeding my own rodents and feeding live, I never could get her to switch or even show interest to anything not breathing. She wouldnt even touch prekilled. I highly doubt there were any other underlying issues other than her refusal to eat over the last 18 months.
    In that time I have tried several methods and did cave a couple times with live. The whole situation suck and if my life wasnt so twisted at the moment I would go back to breeding and selling live rodents.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (10-19-2018),Pengil (10-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    I am also a believer in respecting life. Problem with F/T is people never think twice about the waste of a life when they throw out a second time thawed out rodent. Sounds like a waste and disrespect to that animal.
    This is actually an interesting comment, and something all of us that feed p/k or f/t face at some time...what to do with a left over rodent. I think many of us that have multiple animals will offer the prey item to another snake, assuming the original snake isn’t in quarantine. I don’t refreeze if the rodent isn’t eaten on the first thaw. I just prefer not to take that risk. I don’t refreeze my thawed meat, so theirs is treated the same way.

That said, nothing goes to waste. I’m fortunate enough to live in a rural area, so left over rodents get put on a piece of slate next to my flower bed. If I put it out at night, the skunk, oppossum, or raccon has an easy meal. If I put it out in the morning, the crows or red shouldered hawk get a snack. The local critters have learned to take a detour through the yard, initially attracked by the tasty bugs and bulbs in my flower bed. The crows are always on the lookout, and have usually landed by the time I’m closing the back door. I’ve even had a buzzard drop by when my burm didn’t eat her guinea pig.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-19-2018),Bogertophis (10-17-2018),distaff (10-18-2018),JRLongton (10-19-2018)

Thanks

I am currently feeding live adult mice to my little guy. He didn't eat for 3 weeks after I first got him and his weight was dropping so I buckled. He has since eaten 3 live mice for me. Once he gets back up to weight I intend to switch him over to f/t if possible. I especially wouldn't want to feed him live adult rats. I live in a place where it would be extremely difficult to get live rats anyways unless I bred them, which I have no intention of doing.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Frozen VS Live

I used to feel pretty strong about feeding live. Kind of like fresh meat and vegetables vs frozen for myself. I won’t eat frozen meat or vegetables, there must be lost nutrients there right? If not, then it’s in my head, besides the yucky taste of frozen.

After hearing first hand horror stories on live feeding even while supervised, I decided to switch to frozen.

Best decision ever cost wise and convenience as well!

With the exception of hatchlings, I don’t buy into “they can not be switched”. I was told that by previous owners of half of my snakes. I switched them with no problem whatsoever, and I’m not some kind of a Zenmaster.

Last edited by Reinz; 10-18-2018 at 09:55 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-19-2018),Dianne (10-18-2018),EL-Ziggy (10-19-2018),jmcrook (10-19-2018),JRLongton (10-19-2018),Kira (10-19-2018),Sonny1318 (10-19-2018),Zincubus (10-18-2018)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (10-19-2018)

Thanks
    To me, it depends on the owner's situation and the snake. I have a local pet store 10 minutes from me that always have live mice/rats for feeders. They are cheap too so that is a plus. Another plus is they don't explode like every other frozen mouse that I buy from local chain pet stores; in turn wasting money.
    I'm not favoring one over the other as I do use both ways, just have/had more luck with live prey.
    1.0 Spider Ball
    Albino Ball
    Cinnamon Mojav​e Ball
    1.0 Red Blood '18

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Those are from complete idiots leaving rodents in for extended time periods.
    They have been floating over the internet for year.
    Live feeding wasnt the problem in those photos..... you cant fix stupid.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

dr del (10-19-2018),Pengil (10-20-2018),Sonny1318 (10-19-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (10-19-2018),the_rotten1 (10-19-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    After hearing first hand horror stories on live feeding even while supervised, I decided to switch to frozen.
    I am one of those people that had this happen in 1999. Luckily my boa wasn't badly injured and it prompted me to ask on forums and that's when I found out you could feed pre-killed and later heard about frozen/thawed.

I have yet to meet a snake that I cannot convert to f/t and hopefully it stays that way.
    The least amount of suffering for the prey plus cheaper, no hassle feeding for my snakies, that's how I like it.

I've even got a bunch of my ball pythons taking f/t rabbit kits which I honestly did not expect would happen.
    I have enough snake species that there is always someone who can take a refused rodent if/when it happens or as others have stated, toss into a field for the local wildlife to scavenge.
    For the Horde!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (10-19-2018),Reinz (10-19-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast