Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,856

1 members and 2,855 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: My Reptile Area is Complete

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Ahhhh, the curtains. Yeah, homemade curtain for Behira. When thinking food, she strikes at anything that moves, especially at night. The curtain is up so I can feed and interact with the other reptiles and not have her hurt her mouth/jaw, etc. nailing the acrylic.

Otherwise, and once rubbed with the hook, she is a total sweetheart. Just don't mess with her dinner!
    I was going to ask the same thing...black-out curtain on a cage? Unique & inspirational...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-17-2018)

Thanks
    Wicked nice! All matching black and the same style! Plus the curtain really is a nice touch and a great idea.

A finished basement is definitely the way to go as the temps tend to be more stable. My basement is partially finished, I don't have heat down there, yet. Plus I don't have AC in the upstairs. So twice a year I end up moving everybody up and down the stairs. Upstairs 'til it gets too hot, downstairs 'til it gets too cold. It seems they like the downstairs better though, darker, quieter.

Looks like you have plenty of space to expand as well!
    \m/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Wicked nice! All matching black and the same style! Plus the curtain really is a nice touch and a great idea.

A finished basement is definitely the way to go as the temps tend to be more stable. My basement is partially finished, I don't have heat down there, yet. Plus I don't have AC in the upstairs. So twice a year I end up moving everybody up and down the stairs. Upstairs 'til it gets too hot, downstairs 'til it gets too cold. It seems they like the downstairs better though, darker, quieter.

Looks like you have plenty of space to expand as well!
    You guys are a bad influence! I am full up on reptiles.

I love the look too.

The curtain is necessary for Behira, .

I love finished basements. Much more stable. We also have heat and AC down there so temp control isn't too bad. The former owners actually lived downstairs (we have a full bath down there too).

Doesn't sound like fun carrying tanks all around the house! Would be impossible for me! Too many tanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I was going to ask the same thing...black-out curtain on a cage? Unique & inspirational...
    Maybe unique and inspirational, but not ideal. I like seeing her and she's actually out much of the time. However, I'd rather have a curtain then her bending teeth again. 2X was enough for me. Luckily, both times they fell out while she was eating next.

Thanks

Daaaaaave, that looks freaking awesome! Congrats, bud!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

looking incredible. heckin' jealous over here!!!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-17-2018)

Thanks

Well, apparently I wasn't done. The reptile room, however, I believe, for now, is COMPLETE! Or, at least will, in about a month when all the tanks arrive.

Yafe's arboreal tank will still go in the corner, kitty cornered, as planned. On top of Yafe's 4'X2'X1.5' arboreal Boaphile will be Feliz's 4'X2'X1' life home. On top of that will be another 4'X2'X1'!

WHAT? Another animal?

Don't get excited folks.

When I bought the original tower, the three female leopard geckos were living in a 4X2' and seemingly, doing okay, although Cleo had started some occasional aggression towards Carra. When I moved them into the 6X2' Boaphile, the aggression got significantly worse. So I split the tank and moved Cleo to one side (3X2') and Kayla and Carra stayed on the other side (3X2'). When I bought them, the breeder said that if all females and they grow up together, they should be fine living together. He had said that "six can live in a 4X2', that's huge." Well, the more I read, and the more I observe their behavior, especially during feeding, the more I disagree. I have tried two feeding dishes, but inevitably, there is a spat here and there at the same dish. Additionally, before last shed, I found a little bite mark on Carra again. No bueno.

So, Carra is moving into Figment's tank (3X2') and Figment is moving into a 4X2' (he's big for a corn - over 5ft and 640G). Figment is fine in a 3X2', but for stacking purposes, all the tanks need to be the same size, so big or not, he, Feliz, and Yafe, will all have 4X2' tanks.

The base of the corner setup is 18" tall. The arboreal tank is 18" tall. The two other tanks are 12" tall. That makes 5'. It's a 6.5' ceiling. Not much room left guys. That's my last possible space in the house.

Dare I say the reptile room is COMPLETE?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Love it. Looks great! I was working on standardizing my caging but put it off. Right now everything is miss matched and all over the place. LOL. Will get there after getting Aurora paid off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Love it. Looks great! I was working on standardizing my caging but put it off. Right now everything is miss matched and all over the place. LOL. Will get there after getting Aurora paid off.
    Thank you.

I hear you. I had the same setup you have now before getting the Boaphiles. Comparatively, it was a nightmare. I've never had cages so easy to maintain temps and humidity in. I upgraded to redundant thermostats. Plus, if you have multiple of the same type of animal, or animals with the same requirements, you can run, I think, up to 25 devices, off Jeff's double thermostats. I am sure other thermostats can do this as well. I just know more about the thermostats he sells than others. He also gives discounts for large orders.

I am incredibly happy with the current setup, as are the reptiles. I could not ask for more.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    ....Dare I say the reptile room is COMPLETE?
    Short answer: No. You really expect us to believe THAT!? Give me a break...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-08-2018)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast