Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,858

0 members and 2,858 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Plug in dimmers

Thanks

Plug in dimmers

Folks, just a heads up to anyone using "plug-in dimmers" or "lamp dimmers" to control their CHE units or heat lamps -- they CAN go bad. Today I had to replace one of them.

It had started getting chilly in the house and i couldn't understand why the heat was so low in one of the terrariums. I touched one of the CHEs and . . nothing. No heat from it at all. I plugged it directly into the ac strip and it began to warm up. I tested the dimmer out on lamps and it was dead as the proverbial door-nail.

So, if you do plan to use a dimmer for regulating overhead heat to an enclosure, may I suggest that you make sure that it has a locator button on it. The locator button remains lit as long as the unit is getting power. The one that died didn't have one. Otherwise, you'll need to periodically touch the heat source to verify that the dimmer is still operational. Lesson learned.

<><Peace
    5.1 "chitlins"
    0.0.2 Royal Pythons
    0.1 German Shepherds
    6.0 black short-haired cats
    1.0 long-haired grey tabby cat
    1.1 grey short-haired "ding-bat" kittens
    0.2 black long-haired cats

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dadofsix For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-16-2018),CALM Pythons (10-16-2018),Gemini Pythons (10-17-2018),MissterDog (10-16-2018),Sonny1318 (10-17-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Plug in dimmers

Quote Originally Posted by dadofsix View Post
    Folks, just a heads up to anyone using "plug-in dimmers" or "lamp dimmers" to control their CHE units or heat lamps -- they CAN go bad. Today I had to replace one of them.

It had started getting chilly in the house and i couldn't understand why the heat was so low in one of the terrariums. I touched one of the CHEs and . . nothing. No heat from it at all. I plugged it directly into the ac strip and it began to warm up. I tested the dimmer out on lamps and it was dead as the proverbial door-nail.

So, if you do plan to use a dimmer for regulating overhead heat to an enclosure, may I suggest that you make sure that it has a locator button on it. The locator button remains lit as long as the unit is getting power. The one that died didn't have one. Otherwise, you'll need to periodically touch the heat source to verify that the dimmer is still operational. Lesson learned.

<><Peace
    Good info.. I use one in the quarantine tank so I should look for a new one with a light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dadofsix View Post
    Folks, just a heads up to anyone using "plug-in dimmers" or "lamp dimmers" to control their CHE units or heat lamps -- they CAN go bad. Today I had to replace one of them.....
    About how long had you been using it? Just wondering, as I use a number of dimmers on my lamps+ and I can't recall more than one ever failing...in many years.
    (maybe I'm way over-due? -lol) I don't run high wattages though, maybe that makes them fail sooner?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Thanks, but I’ve always used the ones with lights because I thought they looked cool, lmao. But that’s a very good point, I don’t even think they cost that much more.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Any electrical device can fail. At least when the dimmers do fail they seem to turn off not full on.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-17-2018),dr del (10-19-2018),Sonny1318 (10-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    About how long had you been using it? Just wondering, as I use a number of dimmers on my lamps+ and I can't recall more than one ever failing...in many years.
    (maybe I'm way over-due? -lol) I don't run high wattages though, maybe that makes them fail sooner?
    The power went out during a bad storm a few weeks back. The neighborhood lost a transformer that was close by my house. I suspect that that's when it stopped working. For all I know, it may have had
    an internal fuse that blew.

<><Peace
    5.1 "chitlins"
    0.0.2 Royal Pythons
    0.1 German Shepherds
    6.0 black short-haired cats
    1.0 long-haired grey tabby cat
    1.1 grey short-haired "ding-bat" kittens
    0.2 black long-haired cats