Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,245

0 members and 3,245 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How many babies do you sell?

Hey, my boyfriend and I are starting to look into breeding. I have a 3 year old female butter who is 1345 grams this year, so I am hoping she will be up to a good weight by 2019 season. Current plan is to try to produce BELs with her, and then in a couple years also breed my younger het pied girl to a visual pied to produce piebalds.

My question is, how many babies on average do you guys produce in a season, and how many of those do you sell? We are starting small but we want an idea of the scope that we can scale up to in future years. Ultimately, I would like this hobby to at least break even if not make a little bit of side money.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Re: How many babies do you sell?

I produced 74 hatchlings this season. Of those I'm keeping 4. I have like 14 left available at the moment.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

I dont think a general hatchling count would be a good judge for your future business plans. I think some of the most important factors are you have to plan and research more for how your local mark is and how you'll get your name out there as someone trustworthy with quality animals, especially if you want to produce hets. Ive produced the least amount of babies ever this year but because they're higher valued Ill come out ahead pretty decent. Id definitely make sure you have the room and food supply to feed anything you produce for atleast several months since sales can be slow at times depending on supply and demand. The BP market is so oversaturated with breeders as is so make sure this is something youre really passionate about if youve only owned one for 3 years since it's definitley a labor of love and not a get rich quick plan.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

B.P.'s 4me (10-20-2018),bcr229 (10-16-2018),Craiga 01453 (10-16-2018)

Thanks

I've heard a lot that the ball python market is "oversaturated", but haven't seen much evidence of it. It seems that there is enough demand to meet the supply of new babies. I may be wrong though, this is just based on what I see. Do you have any specific experience of why you think the market is oversaturated?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HannaKessler View Post
    I've heard a lot that the ball python market is "oversaturated", but haven't seen much evidence of it. It seems that there is enough demand to meet the supply of new babies. I may be wrong though, this is just based on what I see. Do you have any specific experience of why you think the market is oversaturated?
    the market is saturated in such a way that multi-gene animals that should be bringing decent amount of profit to a breeder are bringing almost nothing not saying you can't sell them you just don't make money I don't do it for the money I do it because there are snakes that I want and it's more fun to produce them yourself then it is to buy them

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Morphmarket currently has over 13,000 BPs listed, many that have been up for months. Just read how many other posts like this there are of people with minimal experience that plan to breed. When I vend reptile expos, just about everyone buying also breeds. Im not saying don't follow your dreams, I just hope you'll really come up with a marketing plan for babies before they're here and be able to support them if things don't go as planned.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-16-2018),GoingPostal (10-16-2018)

Thanks

I see, well that is kind of why I was asking. I plan to try to vend expos as well. Do you usually sell most of what you bring?

Thanks

I see, well that is kind of why I was asking. I plan to try to vend expos as well. Do you usually sell most of what you bring?
    Very very very rarely when you take snakes to the Expo there's 25 other people selling snakes in an expo if you sell 5 you've done really well

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I produce between 100+ to 200 animals a year and I am sold out every year now because I am sold out every year does not mean everyone is or will be, if you want to be successful it's like any other business you MUST have a plan, you MUST know YOUR market etc

Shows are hit and miss, most of the time they are miss, you can go to a show and sell nothing again you need to know YOUR market what sells and where it sells if it does.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    My experience is that you have to first prove yourself to others as a safe and reputable person to buy from. Do not think that your pied will bring as much as a pied from A big known breeder. Being new your animals will either need to be super unique or super cheap unless you plan to sit on them for a long while. Be sure to invest in a great camera and brush up on your photography skills. Use a nice background for your photos too. Once you build a reputation, you can join the big boys. When I was in, I had around 30 babies a year. I did sell all of those intended but they usually ended up either as a trade or for 25-50% less then their true value. FYI: I never bothered selling hets. People always think you might be fibbing them. Instead, I sold them as a visual whatever they were and after the sale mentioned the bonus to the new owner. This scored me a couple repeat customers.
    Nothing

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ladybugzcrunch For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-17-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast