Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

1 members and 3,091 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Getting ready for winter.

I learned a lot about my house last year. No insulation in any part of the house. Last year was an unusually cold winter for where I live. I am looking at options to heat the room with and have to use space heaters. Each electrical zone will only support 1 heater. Will be closing off bedrooms and only heating main part of the house. All but one of my snakes are in the living room at this point. I have also been thinking about other options to heat the areas where they enclosures are. Originally thought about draping a large electric blanket, regulated with thermostat, over Rainbow's large enclosure to help her. Don't like the idea because Electric blankets are dangerous and fail often. I have 1 120W heat panel taking care of ambient temps in the big part and a 40W in her cave. Not sure that will be enough but hope so. My other enclosures have been steady keeping temps with the AC keeping the house between 70F-75F room temps. I am just worried that they will drop as room temps drop to <50F. I have 3 space heaters but going to upgrade them. Looking fur suggestions on good heating for the entire room. Quality, reliability, and affordability. All have to be considered. Last year was around 40F in the house at the worst point with outside below freezing for a couple of weeks. Might try using foam to insulate and see if that works as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Do you own or rent your place? Does your place have a garage or shed for storage? Do you have basic hand tools?

Can all of your snakes be moved into one room that can be closed off from the rest of the house?

Are your snakes consolidated in racks or do you have tanks all over the living room?

Does your house have decent, well-insulated double-pane windows or do they leak like sieves?

Are you looking for a solution to cover you during the winter, or also for when the power is out?
    Last edited by bcr229; 10-16-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks

Re: Getting ready for winter.

1. Renting but shopping for a house to buy. Spring I hope.

2. Is raised 15 feet up to prevent flooding during storms. I live on an island.

3. They are in enclosures that can not all be in the bedroom and the bed be in there.

4. Rainbow in a huge one that will not be moved. 2 stacks of enclosures 4 high.

5. Mostly for the winter. Will be picking up a kerosene heater for power outages but not efficient enough to use for weeks or when not home.

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post

1. Do you own or rent your place?

2. Does your place have a garage or shed for storage? Do you have basic hand tools?

3. Can all of your snakes be moved into one room that can be closed off from the rest of the house?

4. Are your snakes consolidated in racks or do you have tanks all over the living room?

4. Does your house have decent, well-insulated double-pane windows or do they leak like sieves?

5. Are you looking for a solution to cover you during the winter, or also for when the power is out?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Ok if you're renting there's not a lot you can or want to do structurally for upgrades, like installing more efficient windows or adding a ton of insulation. Save those efforts for your own place.

Last year I picked up a few rolls of this and some clear packing tape, cut out pieces large enough to fit over my windows and the outer framing, and taped them up. Cost less than $10 total and there was a very noticeable reduction in cold drafts, but because it's clear plastic it still lets in plenty of light. Make sure you get the 2-MIL not the 0.5-MIL if you do it, the 0.5-MIL tears easily.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Plastic-9-f...-Cloth/3553998

Now the living room - are there actual entrances leading to the room, or is it simply a designated area that is otherwise open to the rest of the house?

Keroscene for emergency heat is good, just remember you'll want several storage containers for it since in an emergency it may not be resupplied quickly. Have a spare siphon too, those are cheap and if one will fail it will usually be at the worst possible time.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-16-2018),JRLongton (10-16-2018)

Thanks

Re: Getting ready for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Ok if you're renting there's not a lot you can or want to do structurally for upgrades, like installing more efficient windows or adding a ton of insulation. Save those efforts for your own place.

Last year I picked up a few rolls of this and some clear packing tape, cut out pieces large enough to fit over my windows and the outer framing, and taped them up. Cost less than $10 total and there was a very noticeable reduction in cold drafts, but because it's clear plastic it still lets in plenty of light. Make sure you get the 2-MIL not the 0.5-MIL if you do it, the 0.5-MIL tears easily.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Plastic-9-f...-Cloth/3553998

Now the living room - are there actual entrances leading to the room, or is it simply a designated area that is otherwise open to the rest of the house?

Keroscene for emergency heat is good, just remember you'll want several storage containers for it since in an emergency it may not be resupplied quickly. Have a spare siphon too, those are cheap and if one will fail it will usually be at the worst possible time.
    The living room is connected to the kitchen and dinning room with Rainbows enclosure being a huge divider. Her enclosure acts like a 4 ft wall.

I will pick up some of the drop cloth you suggested. Will also be boxing off the window units with foam board to insulate them till next spring.