Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,775

0 members and 2,775 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Girth

Thanks

National Girth

Ach! I’m out of power again because the wind blew. 🙄. Even though Louie was on the cool side of the tank this eve, I don’t trust him to get too cold. Temps have really dropped here in New England. I’ve ordered some heat warmers for just such an occasion but, or course, they’re not here yet. So I put him in a pillow case and have him under the covers with me to keep him warm.

Would my my boss think I was completely nuts if I was late for work because I had to keep my snake warm? Yes.

he's wiggling around in there and it feels weird.

hope this post post doesn’t sound a bit off... I’ve been up sine about 0100

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Damselle For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-16-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: National Girth

Good idea putting him in the pillow case. Ive thought about this situation and have a kerosene heater to help in the snake room.. The only thing that bothers me about it is the smell & Vapors...not sure how bad that is. I wouldn’t have a door closed. But the pillow case has always been a safe alternative. Hope you get power back soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Yes, thanks.

Update. Kept the little guy warm. The line guys were out here at about 0700... It turns out that it was my own lines down. My power is restored.

I wish there here was a way to reassure Louie that everything is ok. It's not like dogs or cats, with some soothing words and warm gestures. He's back in his enclosure, under his hide, on the warm side. Looking defensive. I wish I could give him a treat... Can't imagine what kind of little treat to give a snake, just to tell him, he's a good boy, and he's ok.

in the meantime, the line men left the telephone line down... And when I call to ask " is this a live wire? Is it ok to let my dogs out?" The snarky operator will only say they would have let the telephone co. Know about it... Who are out of business... And they will send someone out "sometime this morning"
    buggers.
    Last edited by dr del; 10-16-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: removing censor trip

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damselle View Post
    Yes, thanks.

Update. Kept the little guy warm. The line guys were out here at about 0700... It turns out that it was my own lines down. My power is restored.

I wish there here was a way to reassure Louie that everything is ok. It's not like dogs or cats, with some soothing words and warm gestures. He's back in his enclosure, under his hide, on the warm side. Looking defensive. I wish I could give him a treat... Can't imagine what kind of little treat to give a snake, just to tell him, he's a good boy, and he's ok.

in the meantime, the line men left the telephone line down... And when I call to ask " is this a live wire? Is it ok to let my dogs out?" The snarky operator will only say they would have let the telephone co. Know about it... Who are out of business... And they will send someone out "sometime this morning"

buggers.
    I'm glad your power is back on. I'm in MA and it was hella windy here. My American flag actually was blown off its pole. I wasn't happy to see Old Glory touching the ground when I woke up. But it's been reinforced and is good to go.

Funny how they say "sometime this morning", but something tells me it wouldn't be acceptable to tell them they'll get their payment "sometime this month".
    Last edited by dr del; 10-16-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: editing quote to remove censor trip

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-16-2018),Damselle (10-17-2018),EL-Ziggy (10-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Good job keeping your little one warm overnight. My only suggestion is to put the pillow case into a plastic tub for added security, so you don't inadvertently roll onto the snake in your sleep (or in my case, so the dogs don't step on it), and so that if your snake makes a mess it won't get all over your bed sheets.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-16-2018),Damselle (10-16-2018)

Thanks

It's cool, but I do appreciate your feedback. I was on the couch and the dogs were not allowed without my permission. Probably the biggest concern here is that he would have been overheated by my body temps. He's a BRB, not a ball python. And I woke up with my hand over him... Luckily... I'm petite... Also, dehydration. How long can a snake with high humidity needs go with low humidity,

in in the morning when I woke, I put him, and the pillow case, in a plastics bag with a wet paper towel. Then back under the covers...

In in the future, what are better alternatives?

I did post for feedback. So it’s cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    That was good thinking to put snake in pillowcase & use your own body warmth...been there, done exactly that! (only with a BUNCH of snakes, each in
    separate pillow cases & each in a protective ventilated plastic "critter cottage" under my down comforter with me. I lost power for DAYS in the '09 ice storm,
    but naively I assumed my power would be back on much sooner than it was, as I live "right in town". It was actually weeks without power for many in this
    area, as so many trees were down that blocked roads...crews couldn't get thru quickly to fix power lines...so I was actually "lucky" that my outage was 4 days!

Anyway, I first did as you did, but then had to go to "plan B" as I couldn't stay in bed all day (outage was at night); my hot water heater runs on gas, so I had
    hot water (but just no power to keep my F/A heat on). I put my bagged snakes into ice chests (or styrofoam boxes, like they ship food in), only 1 to 3 per chest,
    depending on size of snakes...not crowded or on top of each other...then into each ice chest a large jar of the hottest hot water, which I had to change only about
    every 8-9 hours to keep my snakes a balmy 80* (roughly), and none ever got sick after this was all over...they did great! (I used 2 jars for my BCI, who needed
    more warmth, but you get the idea?)

Heat packs are handy to have on hand too (I didn't at that time but I do now). Hoping you have a gas hot water heater (not needing electric)?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Damselle (10-16-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That was good thinking to put snake in pillowcase & use your own body warmth...been there, done exactly that! (only with a BUNCH of snakes, each in
    separate pillow cases & each in a protective ventilated plastic "critter cottage" under my down comforter with me. I lost power for DAYS in the '09 ice storm,
    but naively I assumed my power would be back on much sooner than it was, as I live "right in town". It was actually weeks without power for many in this
    area, as so many trees were down that blocked roads...crews couldn't get thru quickly to fix power lines...so I was actually "lucky" that my outage was 4 days!

Anyway, I first did as you did, but then had to go to "plan B" as I couldn't stay in bed all day (outage was at night); my hot water heater runs on gas, so I had
    hot water (but just no power to keep my F/A heat on). I put my bagged snakes into ice chests (or styrofoam boxes, like they ship food in), only 1 to 3 per chest,
    depending on size of snakes...not crowded or on top of each other...then into each ice chest a large jar of the hottest hot water, which I had to change only about
    every 8-9 hours to keep my snakes a balmy 80* (roughly), and none ever got sick after this was all over...they did great! (I used 2 jars for my BCI, who needed
    more warmth, but you get the idea?)

Heat packs are handy to have on hand too (I didn't at that time but I do now). Hoping you have a gas hot water heater (not needing electric)?
    it was that storm indeed that I had in mind when I just ordered 30 heat packs from Amazon!

Awful for me, but interestingly, the dogs loved it! It was so quiet. And we slept on the floor in front of my wood insert every night. They thought we were having a party! Lol.

But it that insert, and the wood burner in the basement, plus closing off my bedroom and office at the end of the hall, kept my house at 60 degrees for ten days with no power.

thus, my healthy dislike for our local power service...

Thanks

And the need for my censor 😘

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I just went through the same issue. Hurricane Michael knocked my power out Thursday night...temps got down to 70-72, not great but ok for very short term. Friday had no power and temps dropped considerably over night...exterior temps in the 40’s with house and cages down to 66F at 3am. I was up at 6:30am Saturday morning and on the hunt for a generator. Bought one and set it up, hooked up the cages and got everyone back to temps in short order. Even though the snakes dropped below minimum temps for just over a day, I’m still watching everyone carefully for any signs of illness. So far, so good.

In the 7 years I’ve lived here, we have never had the power out for more than 24 hours. Typically it has been restored in just a few hours, so I’d not had any contingency plans set up. This time we were told to expect power to be restored on Monday. My stretch of road got power back Saturday night. I think buying the generator did it. On the plus side, I’m set for the next storm. Lesson learned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast