Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

0 members and 3,278 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I agree. Feed a medium every two weeks.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    The weird thing is that she used to happily eat once a week earlier this year.

I'm sure a bigger break between feeds won't hurt but I can't help feel like certain times she smells it but can't quit figure out what it is and how to strike.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Trying to figure out why she randomly won't eat

Their feeding level does tend to vary thoughout the year - when breeding time rolls around mine are ravenous and will eat as often as offered - once it passes they slow down a bit. I'f found I get more consistent feedings with small rats only bumping up to mediums or large if I'm planning to breed that year. I don't want them getting overweight but obviously if you intend to breed the demands on their body are going to be greater.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-16-2018),Rusky (10-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Their feeding level does tend to vary thoughout the year - when breeding time rolls around mine are ravenous and will eat as often as offered - once it passes they slow down a bit. I'f found I get more consistent feedings with small rats only bumping up to mediums or large if I'm planning to breed that year. I don't want them getting overweight but obviously if you intend to breed the demands on their body are going to be greater.
    Yeah that makes sense. I guess in my head I wanted her to get big cause the bigger the snake the more I have to love haha. But I'll scale the feedings down and see how it goes.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why my ball will sometimes strike at the food and sometimes not

My method is to thaw the rat in the fridge overnight and into the evening of the next day
    Then I'll take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temp
    Then blast it with a hair dryer until the skin registers 100+ with a temp gun
    Towards the end of warming it up I'll open my bedroom door so she can smell it and get in feeding mode
    I'll know she does because she'll perk her head up and start sniffing the air much more aggressively
    The I'll bring the rat into my room and lower it into her tank using long metal forceps

Sometimes she will strike at it as I'm lowering it into the cage
    Sometimes I will lower it in, wiggle it a bit and she strikes it
    But sometimes I lower it in, she expressed much interest in the rat coiling up into an S-shape but never striking at it. Sometimes I'll re-heat it and try again with success but most of the time at this point she doesn't go for it

Maybe there are some other factors I'm not noticing but I think I keep all other factors the same. I wonder if it's related to how I warm it up or how I hold it or something totally different...any thoughts?
    Just one thing ... some just do so much better with WARM food up but by the time you've warmed the rat up , opened the room door , gone in , opened the viv etc etc I'm guessing the rat temperature will be very low again ...

I feed evenings as you do ... low or dim lighting . Wait until the Royal /Ball has been settled under a hide for a while then warm the rat up right NEXT to the viv with the viv door open .. blast with hairdryer SD you do but offer INSTANTLY.. dangling the still warm rat in front of the hide entrance..

Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Rusky (10-17-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12