Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,027

1 members and 3,026 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Interesting feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Nice. Love Boa food response. Beasts!

A quick word of advice. Start using tongs/hemostats.

I would want to avoid an adult bite from her. Secondly, you do not want her seeing your hand and thinking food.

I would also hook train, to further disassociate your hand with food and snap her out of food drive when you want to pick her up.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...highlight=hook
    Yeah i am definitely going to pick up some tings every time I go and feed her she always strikes in the weirdest ways so I can never read when she is going to “go for it” one time she was fully extended and striked parallel to her I believe I have a video of that too and I’ve seen the hook training before and will definitely be implementing that soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Boas are generally such good feeders by even bother having them strike feeding ?

I drop feed my Boas / Retics / Burms ... just drop the rat down on a piece of card ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Ive had to do it before with her but I always like to give the mouse a little wiggle to make sure she has “fun” and stays interested in food. My Ball Python went on a 3 month hunger strike and that was no fun so now I’m always paranoid when it comes to feeding time i will be investing in tongs so I can keep the mouse lower to the ground so she doesn’t fall like that but she always makes me pull the mouse up in the air before she strikes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I assume it was fully thawed out? it seemed rather stiff. Probably just the way she grabbed it. I also suggest getting some tongs to avoid a mis-strike hand bite in the future. You could probably switch that boa to rat pups.
    Yes it was fully thawed out I always pat dry the rodents with a paper towel so I know how squishy they are. The only place near me that sells rat pups is an hour away and they’re live but I like your thinking I’ll start feeding her those as often as I can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Loved the narration, really sells the action. That was crazy.
    Haha yeah, I apologize for the cursing she’s just a wild card and always gives me a good scare whenever it comes to feeding this video however takes the cake on our weird feeding adventures.

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Boas really have a great feeding response don't they

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I personally try to make most of my snakes strike and coil - and shake the rat after the coil. Why? Not really sure, but somewhere in my brain it makes sense to facilitate the desire to hunt and kill.

The great thing about forums is seeing the vast array of techniques that all lead to the "right" answer.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Most of my snakes will not take a rat laying on the cage floor. Out of 11, only 2 will reliably eat what is left on the cage floor. Most of the rest of them grab the mouse/rat as I’m moving it into position in front of them, and a couple require the rat dance. Duncan, my adult Colombian redtail, grabs the rat as soon as it’s in striking distance, constricts, and occasionally rolls just like in the OP’s video...very impressive at 7’. I strongly recommend long hemostats - I use 18” for her to keep my hand well out of reach. She’s been eating prekilled or f/t for around 18 years and has never changed her feeding response.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

hahahaha Corny has done this before when he couldn't manage to wrap a coil over the mouse due to an awkward grab. i got so scared he was gona hurt himself! i think they assume their misjudgment is the prey in "struggle" and they fight for their lives; crazy to witness!!! it's cool you got it on camera!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Holy cow!! You shouldn't give drugs to that snake!!!
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Most of my snakes will not take a rat laying on the cage floor. Out of 11, only 2 will reliably eat what is left on the cage floor. Most of the rest of them grab the mouse/rat as I’m moving it into position in front of them, and a couple require the rat dance. Duncan, my adult Colombian redtail, grabs the rat as soon as it’s in striking distance, constricts, and occasionally rolls just like in the OP’s video...very impressive at 7’. I strongly recommend long hemostats - I use 18” for her to keep my hand well out of reach. She’s been eating prekilled or f/t for around 18 years and has never changed her feeding response.
    Interesting... only my Royals require a warmed up rat dangled on tongs ( in front of their hide entrances) ... the Retics , Burms , Boas , Kings , Corns and any others were more than happy to drop feed off a piece of card in the corner ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12