Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

1 members and 2,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Was told coconut fiber is dangerous????

So, I'm apart of another ball python group which is normally amazing, so I'm not going to give their name, buy I was just basically attacked over my use of coconut fiber I was talking about my girl 3 month old Lilith (Lily for short) and was randomly asked about my tank set up. I described it and said I use coconut fiber, thought that was the end of it because my temp and humidity levels are pretty good. Nope. Random uses and admins started attacking me, saying it's dangerous, it will clog heat pits and she'll die, she'll swallow it and die... I'm so worried thatI made a mistake by using coconut fiber! Please help! Is it safe????

Thanks

Re: Was told coconut fiber is dangerous????

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki1292 View Post
    So, I'm apart of another ball python group which is normally amazing, so I'm not going to give their name, buy I was just basically attacked over my use of coconut fiber I was talking about my girl 3 month old Lilith (Lily for short) and was randomly asked about my tank set up. I described it and said I use coconut fiber, thought that was the end of it because my temp and humidity levels are pretty good. Nope. Random uses and admins started attacking me, saying it's dangerous, it will clog heat pits and she'll die, she'll swallow it and die... I'm so worried thatI made a mistake by using coconut fiber! Please help! Is it safe????
    It IS very dry and turns to peanut butter like consistency in their mouths and pits. If that’s what you’re using now, use it up, but then switch to coco husk. Or get a bag of husk now and mix it in with the fiber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ErostheSnake For This Useful Post:

Nikki1292 (10-15-2018)

Thanks

Was told coconut fiber is dangerous????

I think it depends on the type of coco fiber.

Tons of people use Reptile Prime which is also a coconut fiber substrate and there are no issues. I personally have been using that and haven’t had a problem. That said, at pet stores, I have seen some coco fiber for sale in the reptile section that is suuuper finely ground almost like coffee grounds or soil.... maybe there might have been a report of an issue with that?

I’m sure your snake is fine - especially if it is acting in perfect health and temps and humidity are good. Don’t let them freak you out over nothing. On the flip side, there’s also no harm in switching to something thicker cut like a coco husk if you’re that worried about it. Peace of mind goes a long way sometimes.

Last edited by alittleFREE; 10-15-2018 at 12:09 AM.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

Nikki1292 (10-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Soooo snakes eat dirt and twigs in the wild. And I would ask who in the group has had a snake that died from it. Get some facts out of them. You should never have it wet enough to turn i to peanut butter....that's just a no. Is this another fb group who knows nothing? Wow...way to,scare the crap out of snake owners. If you mist it correctly it won't liquefy.

- - - Updated - - -

I also use reptile prime. At work I use eco earth in the blocks.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-15-2018),BR8080 (10-21-2018),Hmoore1984 (10-15-2018),Nikki1292 (10-15-2018)

Thanks

Lol ive used coco husk for years with my boas, retics and balls. No issues. I now use coco chips no issues and it actually seems like they like it even better. Do what you feel but this is why I only do a few groups. Your snake will be fine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Soooo snakes eat dirt and twigs in the wild. And I would ask who in the group has had a snake that died from it. Get some facts out of them. You should never have it wet enough to turn i to peanut butter....that's just a no. Is this another fb group who knows nothing? Wow...way to,scare the crap out of snake owners. If you mist it correctly it won't liquefy.

- - - Updated - - -

I also use reptile prime. At work I use eco earth in the blocks.
    Yeah, an fb group. They've been great more or less but I mentioned coconut fiber (eco earth) just a while ago and dear lord I felt like I was about to be shot I don't have to mist at all, tank is at a good humidity with a large water dish, top half covered, and a single layer of damp paper towels under the covering that I change out each morning. She's seems like she's doing just fine, nothing in her heat pits either.

Thanks

I've been using coconut fiber/cocopeat as substrate for nearly a year now, and I haven't had any problems with it. Like alittleFREE said, it depends on the type of cocofiber. I use the type that's unfiltered and actually has fibers in it, and not just the shavings that look like dirt. I will say though that it really depends on your local climate and conditions if you want to use it for substrate. I live in Indonesia, and the humidity and ambient temperature here is really similar to the recommended humidity and temperature for optimal ball python care, and since coconut fiber does a really good job at maintaining humidity, I haven't had problems with it. However, if you happen to live in a very humid area, then I really wouldn't use it if I were you. I've also had my BP ingest quite a bit of it on multiple occasions, and she's completely fine right now, so it's not lethal if ingested
    TL;DR - Coconut fiber is completely fine in my experience, but the usage depends on your local climate and conditions.
    Last edited by Tonald Drump; 10-15-2018 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Forgot to list a few points :P

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonald Drump For This Useful Post:

Nikki1292 (10-15-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Had to do a quick google to see just how rampant this issue is. I like to research and make educated decisions. Very little on this but some issues. Not enough to make me change. Sometimes things just happen. I use a coconut fiber substrate, Reptile Prime. Not dust free as claimed however it’s minimal. I have zero experience with it being a peanut butter consistency but I suppose if I really ground it down it’s possible. The only real problem was initially my banana would burrow and had some minor scuffing on top of his head although minimal and no longer an issue. I do spray it every day, not so much to make mud but keep humidity in check. Looks good and keeps waste odors to a minimum.
    Just my experience and perhaps the eco earth has these issues. Not sure don’t and have not used it. Coco husk runs a risk of impaction although it’s probably minimal as well. As far as swallowing substrate, my guess is unless it’s just a mouth full of rodent free substrate, Mother Nature designed in a failsafe. This is going next to the “feed in another tub” file as not to terribly useful to me.
    I do feel compelled to research more, just seems not much will come from it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

Nikki1292 (10-15-2018)