Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

5 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeling Like a Failure (Feeding)

Sorry if the title is a bit melodramatic, lol. Just a bit defeated after a second consecutive failed feeding attempt.

Quick backstory: Got Syd at the end of July. According to the breeder she was a fabulous eater, and her body composition showed that (compared to other snakes he had hatched out at the same time that were more picky and much smaller and less robust).

I took her home and gave her a week to settle in. When the week was up, she took a F/T rat pup for me (prepared by thawing in warm water for around an hour, then boosting temp with hair dryer, and dangling in front of her). I offered at night in a dark room.

Every week thereafter she took like clockwork using the same method. In September, I bumped her up to weaned rats, which she has been taking fine.

Then she went into shed at the end of September, and during her shed, she refused. I left it in her cage overnight just in case but she never ate it. However, I knew she was in the middle of shedding, so I didn’t think anything of it.

After her shed on the 29th, she ate like normal on the 30th.

Then last week, she refused. As far as I know I did the exact same thing I’ve always done but she just wouldn’t go for it. I thought she was interested but after dangling and blow drying and dangling and blow drying over and over for god knows how long I finally gave up. I figured maybe she just needed a little Break and she would be extra hungry and ready to eat next week. I decided not to handle her at all until her next feeding day to try to reduce stress.

Fast forward to tonight.... and no luck. Same thing that happened last week.

For reference, she is ~350g and I am offering weaned rats (weighing 35-45g on average). Her ambient is 79-81*F and her warm hide is 88-89*F. During shed I bumped her humidity to 60-70%, but 45-55% is it’s typical range and what it’s sitting at now. Her shed was perfect. She last had a bowel movement on September 30 after her shed before she ate, although she has passed urates since then.

She is in a 10 gallon, reptile prime for substrate, she has 2 of the same hide, water bowl, foliage for cover, and the sides are covered. Top has aluminum foil over it to keep heat and humidity in. She has a heating pad regulated with a thermostat on the warm side and a low wattage CHE on a dimmer to bump ambients up a few degrees.

So I just don’t know what to do. Logically I know that sometimes they just go off feed of their own accord, but as a human that likes to eat frequently and is responsible for her care, it’s hard to not feel like I’m doing something wrong and failing her in some way. The problem is, I can’t pinpoint anything that would have changed since the last time she ate.

I’m a fixer, so my inclination is to start messing with stuff to get her eating again, even though I know that is probably counterintuitive as it would just stress her out. I could always move her over to a tub (have nothing against them - the boyfriend just likes tanks so we compromised), or put her in a different room or something...... but again, I feel it is probably smarter to keep things consistent? Right?

What would you do if you were me? Does anything stand out that I should be doing different? Just wanted to get some advice. This is my 4th ball python and the only one that has ever refused a meal for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Sounds like you're doing everything right to me...maybe she is sensing the change of seasons though, shorter days (even if temps in her cage haven't changed)
    can tip our snakes off that winter is coming. Don't worry too much...this is what BPs do, & don't offer food more than once/week, as that is just stressing them.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

alittleFREE (10-15-2018),GoingPostal (10-16-2018)

Thanks

Re: Feeling Like a Failure (Feeding)

This is more so an anecdote that (might?) soothe your fears.

Firstly, you're so lucky!! That your other 3 balls haven't gone off feed. I remember the first year my girl fasted. I worried like crazy. It started in November. She only fasted a couple months then, but the next year she fasted for FIVE months. This will be her (she hasn't started yet, but it's not quite time yet) 4th year fasting over the winter. She fasts like clockwork, it always starts in the period of the same two weeks. I live in a basement too - she gets artificial lighting, so I assume they must have this incredible instinct that can tell the changing seasons.

I do still get anxious about it. But during that time, I'll offer food once every two weeks. I just check that she's otherwise still normal and healthy. As long as she's drinking water and not showing signs of other sicknesses e.g. wheezing or mites or etc. and if she doesn't appear to be hunting aggressively at night, then she might just be fasting! She'll come out of it when she's ready.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilith14 For This Useful Post:

alittleFREE (10-15-2018),Bogertophis (10-15-2018),Zincubus (10-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Haven't time to read all through the thread but just thought I'd throw this in ... it's just that I had a female Albino Royal who fed well but then fasted for NINE MONTHS !! Anyways when she resumed she went onto eat perfectly again BUT only every TWO weeks ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 10-15-2018 at 07:22 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

alittleFREE (10-15-2018),Bogertophis (10-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I have 2 BPs. Both right at a year old. Bob is around 850g and Shiva is around 1000g. 2 months ago they both refused for the first time ever. Weekly feedings till then. Now they only eat once a month despite being offered weekly. Neither of them are loosing weight and both still show normal behavior for them. No change in husbandry. Just change in their desire to feed. Winter is on the way and they know I am sure.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement!

I know I was lucky with my first BPs and definitely took their willingness to eat year-round for granted.

She’s still alert and acting the same as always. As far as I can tell she hasn’t lost any weight, but I don’t take weights until after she’s pooped and she hasn’t pooped since her last meal yet, thus it’s hard to say for sure. So we will see. But she looks the same and is acting normal aside from the food refusals.

- Summer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I don't have any advice, it sounds like you're doing everything I would try.

If you wanted another disaster story to make you feel better, I had opted for my first ball python to be an adult (i.e. established eater) in my attempt to avoid dealing with the fasting straight away or difficulties getting a baby adapted and eating. So, I went to an expo, got an adult male, brought him home in October. I had seen the winter fasting, but thought I would have at least 3 or 4 feedings before then, not realizing how randomly they decide it is winter. (I'm in Texas, so winter isn't too evident until November-December most years as far as temps go.)

So he fasted on me for the first 5 months I had him. Since he had supposedly been fed live and frozen, when I offered live, he would take a mouse or small rat (what the local place I could get live feeders from happened to have) every 3 or 4 weeks. So maybe half as much food as he should have had weekly he ate every month.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Around this time of the year, all reptiles are starting to eating less and sleeping more. My snakes including my bp is still eating (>500g) for now but I won't be surprised if he starts turning down meals soon. My king is showing less interest in food and being less active. She has been like this pre-shedding. I am hoping she will want to eat after her shed but as an adult female of unknown age, I don't mind if she cuts back as long as her weight remain about the same. My lizards are already showing less interest in their food or eating less, including my food obsessed blue tongue skink.

I think age plays a factor but even the young ones will follow suit if they feel winter is coming. I would not worry about your snake not eating for several weeks. Try once every 2 weeks. As long as the weight is not lost by much and they appear in good health, these guys know what they are doing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

It's a bit early to panic but have you considered alternative prey?
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

alittleFREE (10-21-2018)

Thanks

Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement.

Tonight was feeding night, and unfortunately she didn’t eat. So that makes this her 3rd skipped meal. The thing that is really frustrating is that she SEEMS hungry; she hangs out with her head out of the hide every night, she goes out to explore in the middle of the night (I’ve caught her in the act, and she ritualistically knocks over her thermometer which I have to reposition every morning). She sniffs the rat and follows it around with her head. But nothing.

Regarding husbandry... everything is the same.

However, I failed to mention this in the OP, but I have noticed that she seems to only ever be on her cool side. She’s basically been spending her entire day on the cool side ever since she went into shed. I’m guessing maybe she is going to warm side when I’m asleep. Or maybe since she hasn’t eaten in a while she doesn’t need the higher temps.

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    It's a bit early to panic but have you considered alternative prey?
    I have considered that. I’m willing to do whatever. I prefer F/T for convenience, safety, and the fact that I hate seeing an animal suffer, however, I’ve fed live in the past and will do it again if necessary. I know you can also get other food types like chicks and gerbils and all that stuff if rats don’t do the trick, and I’d be willing to do that as well.

I’m also seriously considering switching her over to a tub. She ate fine for 2 months in this tank though (it’s only 10 gal and cluttered), which is why I’m hesitant to change anything. I’m getting pretty sad because she was such a breeze when I first got her. Now she’s really stressing me out

Last edited by alittleFREE; 10-21-2018 at 10:48 PM.

- Summer

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast