Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,954

0 members and 2,954 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Tank requirment questions

I have a 54 long x22 wide x25 high terrarium for my ball pytjon i also have a 48x 18x18 which the lid is not secure reason to whynim using the other one. My temps arnt to bad and humidity seem to be fine the only problem is these tanks are big heavy and akward the main problem with the 54x is that when i have to install like heatingnpads lets say its a pain in the rear and it only covers a tiny tiny area since the tank is so big lol should i replace this tank with something smaller? Or is it okay to have them in such a big enclosure i want to make sure i never have to upgrade again reason i purchased the tank i now have no one told me what size tank i should have they said big isnt a problem but from what ive heard here which i just found these forums big enclosures arnt that great of an idea any advice would be appreciated thanks

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Tank requirment questions

Also i hear things about a tub do you guys mean like a plastic rubber maid bin type deal if so how would you produce belly heat in one of those with a uth? How wouldnu even set one of those up i only have the 1 ball python and im not planning on getting anymore so if its kore of a rack system i wont be needing any sortnof rack system

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I just uploaded my tutorial. Just put your baby into a tub while you convert it over. It takes a few hours but they will be fine. It also gives you a change to run everything through the dishwasher lol.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

dr del (10-16-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    I just uploaded my tutorial. Just put your baby into a tub while you convert it over. It takes a few hours but they will be fine. It also gives you a change to run everything through the dishwasher lol.
    My temps in my tank are constantly going up and down is that normal? My thermometor on cool side is reading 76.5 warmer side 77.2 but when i check temps with temp gun im getting 83-85 on warm side and 77 78 80 range with one tiny spot at like 73ish and thats the corner lol

Thanks

During the day usually temps on cool side are like 78 79 80 on the thermometor but seems like night time they drop alot more i have 2 ligjts in there both exo terra 1 150w on warm 100w on cool end

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    So about 1/3 of bottom should have heat although I go about 1/2. This gives you the temp ranges that allow the snake to thermo regulate. The belly heat comes from the UTH. In a tub, depending on room temps and drafts, etc it my be hard to get decent ambient temps. I have my Boa in a 40qt bin using a UTH set at 90 and a second for the cool side at 80 and see ambient temps at about 80. Tubs really maintain humidity well but heat is tricky at least for me. I have to keep the room temp at 75 minimum.
    I am looking into ways to insulate the tub and keeping a minimal layer of substrate helps also. Sterility or Rubbermaid are popular and there is a sticky going over tub set up that is worth looking at.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    So about 1/3 of bottom should have heat although I go about 1/2. This gives you the temp ranges that allow the snake to thermo regulate. The belly heat comes from the UTH. In a tub, depending on room temps and drafts, etc it my be hard to get decent ambient temps. I have my Boa in a 40qt bin using a UTH set at 90 and a second for the cool side at 80 and see ambient temps at about 80. Tubs really maintain humidity well but heat is tricky at least for me. I have to keep the room temp at 75 minimum.
    I am looking into ways to insulate the tub and keeping a minimal layer of substrate helps also. Sterility or Rubbermaid are popular and there is a sticky going over tub set up that is worth looking at.
    I just put a space heater in my room to bring up tempatures seeing as my room is 71 to 72f so my temp gun reads at the wall i love this tank butnim starting to think it might be more of a pain in the ass then its worth i onlynpaid 150 for the tank it self so i dont really want to re sell it but at this point im kind of loss and i got a 17x11 exo terra large heating pad on the buttom so about 11 in in length ojt of 54 is covered so its just where his or her hide is that is pretty much heated and a little bigger area at the sides of hide

Thanks

Also jow do you check ambient tempatures exactly do you just go off the coldest spot in the tank with temp gun do u check with thermometor exactly how do you check the ambient temp?

Thanks

Entire enclosure. Where u see that line is from that line to the back of the hide rock is the uth i have setup

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    If I were you I would just work with it. Tanks are a little more attention in terms of humidity but I like the display aspect. If my Boa were closer to full grown I would have her in a PVC or similar enclosure. Until then it’s a matter of economics. My Pastel is in a 40 gallon and most likely it’s big enough for her even full grown. I beleive it measures 36”x18”x16”. It’s wrapped in foam board and top covered. Temps are awsome and it just needs a spray down once a day.
    I have an ultratherm 11” x 17” heat pad and a CHE 150 watt both on thermostats. Once it was set up it’s really not a big issue.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast