Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,781

0 members and 2,781 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Can I use the equipment for quarantined snakes after the quarantine period is over?

As the title says can I keep using the equipment after the 3-6 months of quarantine,or should I throw them away. The equipment includes cleaning products, feeding tongs, and tubs.

Thank you in advance.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Yes you can. As long as you're maintaining proper cleanliness and the animal is healthy the equipment is fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

KevinK (10-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Well you need to thoroughly sterilize them, obviously. That's easier with metal*tongs, of course; plastic (spray bottles or tubs- where you can't use heat)
    should be soaked with disinfectant solutions, & personally, I'd do it several times with different solutions each time, just as I've done in the past with a
    used glass tank. (diluted bleach solution, F10, Nolvasan/chlorhexidine, isopropyl alcohol- that's because each has their "strong points" in terms of what
    pathogens they kill; and remember, you need to WAIT for them to act, it's not a wipe on & off quickly kind of thing) If that's too much trouble, I'm sure
    some just toss them, but I personally see that as both wasteful & possibly spreading the contamination (in the wild) depending upon where your trash ends up.

*Metal items you can bake/boil effectively, though I'd still probably soak w/ bleach solution too, as it won't penetrate at all (as it can with plastics if too strong,
    & bleach is still the best "killer" as far as I know.

Obviously, I've assumed the worst about your quarantine...up to you to decide if it's over-kill, but from your question, I made assumptions. It also depends
    on how many animals you have & how you value them (money invested- intending to breed & sell). I've seen posts from such owners who don't even risk
    quarantining their new acquisitions in the same building (house or whatever), so that's what I'm getting at.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-14-2018 at 12:26 PM.