Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,202

2 members and 3,200 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Stuck on what to do for housing...

So we use a plastic tub for our BP. The issue is that we need to use a heat lamp to bump ambient temps, and even with it suspended and dimmed way low, the plastic tub lid dips and gets soft. Not melted, but not ideal. Additionally, the lid has gotten weak over time and the locking handles no longer stay secure so the lid has to be secured with weights(until we get some clips). The last issue is our new cat LOVES hopping on top of the tub which isn't helping with the dipping.

Does anyone have ideas for how to fix up a different type of lid for a tub? I just wish I could get a hard, solid lid with a metal mesh portion for the heat lamp. Does anyone have ideas for how to rig this? Am I better off just buying a pricey tank instead? I'd love to hear some ideas.

Thanks

Re: Stuck on what to do for housing...

Yep, that is the issue with plastic totes. My suggestion is getting a UTH and putting it on a thermostat ( this one set to 90). Because you having issues with ambient temps too, your going to want to get another UTH and put it on 80, that's your cool side. Another solution is to cut a hole into the lid, then putting mesh, which you can get at home depot, and glueing it to the inside of the lid so the lamp can sit on it. Any heqtspurce you have should have a thermostat. Luckily there are ones online you can get for 20 dollars. Both of mine from Amazon.

Btw binder clips are an amazing choice for clipping the sides of the bin.
    Last edited by Techbunneh; 10-13-2018 at 05:40 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Techbunneh For This Useful Post:

sufficio (10-13-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    A cheap fix that may work is getting some dowel from a hardware store the extends over the edges of the lid. Using soldering iron or drill make holes and with zipp ties attach to the lid on outside on top giving support like ceiling beams in a house. Maybe a zipp tie every 2 or 3 inches. This could suck it up enough that the heat from lamp is a non issue and latches may work again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

sufficio (10-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Techbunneh View Post
    Yep, that is the issue with plastic totes. My suggestion is getting a UTH and putting it on a thermostat ( this one set to 90). Because you having issues with ambient temps too, your going to want to get another UTH and put it on 80, that's your cool side. Another solution is to cut a hole into the lid, then putting mesh, which you can get at home depot, and glueing it to the inside of the lid so the lamp can sit on it. Any heqtspurce you have should have a thermostat. Luckily there are ones online you can get for 20 dollars. Both of mine from Amazon.

Btw binder clips are an amazing choice for clipping the sides of the bin.
    Oh we do have an UTH with thermostat- we live in a cold drafty basement so without the heat lamp, the ambient temp falls way low.

Yeah we were thinking about the mesh idea- I think that honestly may just be our best bet at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    A cheap fix that may work is getting some dowel from a hardware store the extends over the edges of the lid. Using soldering iron or drill make holes and with zipp ties attach to the lid on outside on top giving support like ceiling beams in a house. Maybe a zipp tie every 2 or 3 inches. This could suck it up enough that the heat from lamp is a non issue and latches may work again.
    Oh that's an interesting idea... Are you meaning that the lamp would sit directly on the dowels or what? The lamp is already on a suspended hook ~3 inches above the tub so I don't know if dowels above the lid would work much better than the current scenario.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!

Account Disabled
    Thanks

I would assume that the lamp is on one end and get one close enough that it does not burn although maybe wrapping the dowel with a few wraps if foil might keep it from burning. Just shooting from the hip here and allowing my cheapness to show through.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

sufficio (10-13-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

I bet an old wire hanger cut to length could do the same job

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

sufficio (10-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I would put a second UTH and thermostat on the other side of the tub, set to 82-83*F while the hot side is 90-92*F. Heat lamps were never meant to work with tubs.

You can also put the tub into a bedroom with a small space heater and close the door, leaving the rest of the house cool.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-13-2018),sufficio (10-13-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    That works and I’m able to do that for my Boa in his tub however if the room isn’t a dedicated snake room the room temp at 75+ may be a bit much for human comfort. I only see ambient temps in my tub at 8o-81 on a good day. My tub is maybe 5 inches deep, room temp is 76 and any warmer I would not be able to sleep. Sadly, This is in a second floor apartment with better insulation than a drafty basement I’m guessing. My BP,s are in glass tanks so better in that sense.
    An after thought I guess is how deep is this tub suffico. The lamps should be far enough away to keep the snake safe. You could use a CHE with a dimmer if it regulates temps like it would a UTH.
    Last edited by Jakethesnake69; 10-13-2018 at 06:47 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

sufficio (10-13-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

The entire bottom is covered with two separate heat mats one at 80 and one at 90 degrees ambient is 77 with my room temp at 78. Its adequate however I'm not impressed with tubs, at least in the sense they get tons if hype. It does keep humidity great but room temp is very important.
    First picture, that tub never seen good ambient temps and was replaced with the second and although it's good the room is quite balmy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

sufficio (10-13-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You could try a radiant heat panel, which runs at a lower temperature than the CHE so maybe it won't be too bad. You could even just make a new lid out of plywood to attach it to if necessary.

There are also folks who use CHE's and heat lamps with tubs by cutting the lid around the hood of the lamp and covering the hole with screen. I think there are pictures of that in the DIY forum section.

But as someone who also keeps a snake in a house that can get very cold, at a certain point you need more wattage to raise the temperatures than you're going to get from UTH's, and higher wattage heat sources take a lot more work to use with tubs. The plastic sides of a tub are a bit better than glass when it comes to heat retention, but they're still pretty thin. You might improve matters by putting lots of insulation around the tub (even put the whole thing into a big box full of styrofoam peanuts).

I would start looking at wood or PVC vivariums. They're more expensive than a tub, but you can also build your own and sometimes find good deals on Craigslist or wherever. The walls are thicker so they retain heat better, and they will give you a lot more options for heating equipment.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Jakethesnake69 (10-13-2018),sufficio (10-13-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast