Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,038

0 members and 2,038 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Where do I buy feeder breeders?

It looks like I get too move into a larger place and I've been looking into breeding feeder rats for myself and the local reptile rescue and a few friends so we dont have to rely on the local terrible pet store.

Also, I want to know how do i ensure that my colony is parasite free? Stool samples to a vet before breeding starts?

Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have build my feeder colony with rats from Petco, not by choice but it worked out.

The important is to get small rats 4 to 6 weeks old and raise them to size. No adult as they are often past their prime

Pre-treat your enclosures with Provent a mite just in case (works well with snakes and breeder rats (do not use with rats you plan on feeding off immiditaly only those kept long term)

Watch for excessive sneezing, stool head, tilt.

I have never took a breeder rat to a vet.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-12-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I got mine from the neighbor, who also breeds for snakes.
    Works out well, as we can still feed our snakes if one or the other of us is out of a needed size.

I never thought about internal parasites. I have treated for mites with a drop of Ivermectin. Not recommended, and off label, but it has worked (do your own research).

I treat the breeders like pets, but none of them will ever see the vet. If one gets sick, it gets put down and buried in the compost. (not the sort of practice I would disclose on a pet rat site.)

Do get your breeders as youngsters, and handle them gently - NOT by the tail!
    Last edited by distaff; 10-12-2018 at 07:32 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-12-2018)

Thanks

Re: Where do I buy feeder breeders?

Looks like I'm trying to get them from a town 80 miles away or so. Neither Petco nor Petsmart carry rats anymore. So I'm going through (hopefully) someone who breeds for pets.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks

I have a local reptile store that sells live feeders in many sizes. You could try to look for something like that.

Thanks
    I did a little googling and found a breeders site and then starting looking for ones near me. I got 2.2 that way and I'm pretty sure I'm about to have a lot more.

The rat breeder did tell me to get an extra male so Big Papa would have a playmate. Might have just been a good upsell, but I did it anyway. I paid $20 ea for them I think.

Petco selling hopper mice for $5 has to be swimming in gold coins Scrooge McDuck style, I'm obviously in the wrong line of work.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drew5337 View Post
    I did a little googling and found a breeders site and then starting looking for ones near me. I got 2.2 that way and I'm pretty sure I'm about to have a lot more.

The rat breeder did tell me to get an extra male so Big Papa would have a playmate. Might have just been a good upsell, but I did it anyway. I paid $20 ea for them I think.

Petco selling hopper mice for $5 has to be swimming in gold coins Scrooge McDuck style, I'm obviously in the wrong line of work.
    Once males are paired to females do not put males together after that, it will not end well. Males are only fine together at a young age and until paired for the first time.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Location? Free rats, bunnies an the like, your local Craigslist. My (backyard) rodent breeder charges $2 for rats an ASH an .50 for mice. I bought 2/1 ASH for the kids to grow their own.

Thanks
    Im afraid the answer is really wherever you can find them. All of the above are good suggestions. Look for feeders at a pet store and ask for one male two females and raise them up, look for a local "pet" breeder, looks like thats what you did. I did the same and was comfortable with it because I felt like I got quality animals to start with. Good luck. They are fun to breed.

Thanks
    Breeders are the best source of rats. I've also bought from stores and taken in a few rescues, but none of those were as healthy or as well tempered as rats from another breeder. 80 miles is a long way to go for rats, but it sounds like it will be worth it.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast