Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,066

3 members and 2,063 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Can I still feed this mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    The green is not the same as a block it is suppose to be a treat in the food with multi vitamins. So all the mice go after the green first. It is totally normal. Mine poop green too if I have just fed them.
    ...and that's the main reason blocks are better than mixes. Rodents will always pick out the treats first and eat the nutritious stuff last. My rodents don't have stools that loose unless they are sick and it's never that color because there are no added dyes in their food.

I know that a lot of these animals are bred as feeders and that pets stores don't particularly care about the health of their animals, but I still think they deserve adequate nutrition. AFRMA (the American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association) recommends lab lock or high quality dog food as a staple for a reason. It's better for them. Poop like that is only normal if they're eating food that contains a lot of unnecessary supplements (to make up for the nutrition it lacks) and food coloring (to make it look nice for the humans who will buy it). It's not good for the animals.

Kaytee in particular is known in fancy rat/mouse circles for making awful food.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    And Petco feeds rat blocks with the green treats mixed in. And I do care about my animals. Even the mice. Grrrrrrrr

let me clarify. We don't use mixes with nuts, or seeds. We use rat blocks. But maybe I should take out the green pieces since it is such a huge issue apparently.
    Last edited by Sunnieskys; 10-14-2018 at 12:27 AM.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    I apologize if I upset you. I didn't mean to insinuate that you personally don't care for the mice. It's just that the stores have certain policies in regards to animal care and sometimes they try to get away with doing the bare minimum.

It does sound like the green pieces are the problem. Diarrhea can happen even in rodents that are fed a completely natural diet, but usually it's a sign they've had too much fruit or vegetables. A little bit of fresh produce is fine and won't change their poop at all, but too much and they poop liquid. Whatever is in the green pieces seems to have a similar effect.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: Can I still feed this mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    ... But maybe I should take out the green pieces since it is such a huge issue apparently.
    But if that's where they put much of the supplemental nutrients...? They do that with some dog foods too, I don't like it when the chow (or pellets) aren't all the same-
    maybe it's cheaper for them to manufacture that way (?) but the nutrients aren't evenly distributed then & the smaller bits tend to congregate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12