Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

5 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

DIY Thermostat + Incubator

I was putting together my own incubator, I thought it would be fun to make the thermostat myself too. I hooked up humidity/temperature sensors to a Raspberry Pi and programmed it for some simple temperature and fan control. Now I know most of you will be dubious, and I personally was too. But I've thoroughly tested this incubator all summer. We hatched 3 batches of quail eggs with great success! These birds hatched in about 23 days at 100 degrees and 50% humidity. This is quite different from ball pythons but the temperature control was good. This success wasn't without some mishaps though... Early on in my testing, I accidentally soft boiled one batch of quail eggs. Due to a bad line of code, the temperature went up to about 140 degrees for 3 hours. Whoops. I've since fixed that and it won't happen again. What's extra cool about this thermostat is it posts temperature stats and live footage of the incubator online every 3 seconds so I can constantly check it and not have to worry lol

Here's the current setup. I'm running it for a month or two while I wait for my first ball python clutch

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverbill For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (10-11-2018),gunkle (02-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    very cool! so u have an incubator cam as well? that lil Raspberry can sure do alot! i wish i were smrt enough to do something like that.

Edit: could u put up an actual DIY/How to if it's not super complicated?
    Last edited by Ax01; 10-11-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Re: DIY Thermostat + Incubator

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    very cool! so u have an incubator cam as well? that lil Raspberry can sure do alot! i wish i were smrt enough to do something like that.

Edit: could u put up an actual DIY/How to if it's not super complicated?

Yeah, I had a dinky little Pi cam running for my quail eggs. It had its ups and downs. Shoots some decent 480p footage and I got to watch a baby quail hatch while I was at work but it's pretty draining on the Pi itself and has poor visibility unless the room is super bright.

The full DIY is a bit too complex for me to write up from the top of my head right now. But basically the Raspberry Pi is hooked up to the fans, camera, sensor, power relay and is connected to my online dashboard. The flexwatt is plugged into the relay. The sensor checks the temperature every 3 seconds and the Pi makes sure it is within the set threshold. If it's too hot, the Pi sends a signal to the relay and shuts it off. If it's too cold then it gets turned on. Through the dashboard, you can check temperature and humidity stats graphed within the last 12 hours. You can also see the live footage, change your set temperature or manually turn the relay on/off. It also sends warning notifications to my phone should something go horribly wrong like too high/low of temperature or sensor malfunction.

Thanks
    Thats pretty neat, I thought about getting a PI awhile ago to just mess around with maybe I'll get one..

Registered User SiXandSeven8ths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Could you post the code? I'd like to have a look at it and see if I can't adapt this into my next project.