Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

1 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Shedding Question ( False Alarm Shed?)

Hi!

My BP has been showing signs of going into shed for the last two weeks, going on three, this week. he refused feeding twice in a row ( I feed on Sundays ) and I figured it was for sure because he was going to shed. His skin is dull, there are noticeable wrinkles, and I catch him often trying to rub the sides of his face on rough spots in the tank. Last week there were very tiny flakes on his skin and he would catch himself on the carpet because I could hear him slither. They aren't there anymore. I'm not able to tell when his eyes go "dull/milky".

Yesterday because he was roaming and yawning so much, I decided to try feeding him off schedule, and he took it easily, and quickly. I got him some shed ease and rubbed it into his skin tonight ( He was OK to handle, as he typically digests the small mice within 12-24 hours, and he comes out on his own) to see if it would help him with the face rubbing. The bottle said it was safe to use even if he wasn't in shed so I figured there was no harm in trying.

I wanted to know if there was anything I should keep an eye out for. If he's not ready i'm not going to soak him ( he doesn't really like baths much in general, but he takes to my face steamer well if I turn it on for him ).

His temps are at optimal level that range between 81-89, and his humidity stays at a steady 67, but the last week I popped it up to 71-73 thinking it would help him out. He had a bowel movement last week. When he's handled, he isn't skittish, but rubs his face on my fingers and sides of my hand. He has no mites. He buries in coconut substrate and has lots of places to rub his little face on.

Any suggestions to help the little guy? He just seems like he's trying but isn't getting anywhere.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Re: Shedding Question ( False Alarm Shed?)

Are you sure his humidity is that high? Thats pretty hard to maintain in a fish tank without it being pretty modified so Id just double check it with a different hygrometer. Im not usually a fan of soaks but sounds like your guy might benefit from one. Make sure you temp gun the water since warm to us is hot to them.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Yeah .... what kind of hygrometer are you using in incidentally?

One similar to this one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    I'm using a digital thermometer with hygrometer ( I use the same one in my lab). I did use a second one last week to double check, and the ranges were the same.

Its not a fish tank. Its an acrylic tank with coconut substrate. Its for sure correct and accurate, so i'm not sure if he'll benefit if I get the humidity higher.

Should I try giving him a soak, or leave him alone for another few days and keep an eye on him?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdee View Post
    I'm using a digital thermometer with hygrometer ( I use the same one in my lab). I did use a second one last week to double check, and the ranges were the same.

Its not a fish tank. Its an acrylic tank with coconut substrate. Its for sure correct and accurate, so i'm not sure if he'll benefit if I get the humidity higher.

Should I try giving him a soak, or leave him alone for another few days and keep an eye on him?
    If you are positive your humidity is on, I would just keep an eye on him.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks

I'd check in his usual hang out spots to see if maybe the shed is in there. I'd also dig around in the substrate as well. Sometimes it can be a little but of a pain to find. Are his scales shiny? Do his eyes look hazy?

Thanks
    Erugh I really can’t eye out hazy eyes. He’s shed in my keep before, and then too, I missed it. I’ve gone through his tank to look around for a shed but there’s no sign of any. His scales are more dull than shiny especially around his neck, but he’s also just .. prickly? Like one or two scales every so often seem almost flakey. I bought some shed aid and conditioned him in it, so I’m hoping it’ll help. Thanks for all the advice!