Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,526

1 members and 2,525 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: A Boa of my own!

Ouch poor thing, looks so thin and that lump definitely isn't right, you done the best thing as explained by everyone above, they often poop when soaked ,if it is that .

At least you getting into the vets Saturday
    Fingers crossed for you

Alot of us use Tapatalk a free app to upload pics
    All the best and good luck

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Bad news, very bad

The situation so far. I spoke to the vet and they can't see Raz until Monday morning the earliest, and even then they are making a bit of an exception.

The word crypto has been mentioned.

Now I'm terrified. I don't keep a lot of snakes, but those I do I am very attached to. Please allay my fears.

Raz and Helena (Helena is my new BEL BP) have been in a separate quarantine room since I picked them both up less than a week ago (Sunday, October 7). Their enclosures were side by side for convenience with the thermostat. Interaction has been extremely limited as they are new. Helena has not been handled past being placed in her enclosure, having water changed and temps checked with a heat gun. Raz has been detailed above. I will note that in the few handling sessions that have occurred, Raz was always handled second and last. Nothing has been moved from one enclosure to the other.

Helena has now been moved out of the same room and is in my bedroom. Very luckily I had three thermostats, I keep a Jumpstart on hand just in case. Raz has been moved even further away from everyone else and is now in my partially finished basement. If he does have crypto I will consider everything he has come in contact with, enclosure, RHP, thermostat probe as lost causes and they will be discarded.

Is my dear little BEL in danger?

Worse, what risk have I exposed my other snakes to? Could I transmit crypto to them somehow?

I couldn't even imagine such an awful thing happening.....
    \m/

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    oh poor baby! That does not look normal and does not look like a poo-constipated lump to me. I'm glad you're going to the vet, I'd suggest a check for internal parasites. I hope everything works out okay!
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Bad news, very bad

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    The situation so far. I spoke to the vet and they can't see Raz until Monday morning the earliest, and even then they are making a bit of an exception.

The word crypto has been mentioned.

Now I'm terrified. I don't keep a lot of snakes, but those I do I am very attached to. Please allay my fears.

Raz and Helena (Helena is my new BEL BP) have been in a separate quarantine room since I picked them both up less than a week ago (Sunday, October 7). Their enclosures were side by side for convenience with the thermostat. Interaction has been extremely limited as they are new. Helena has not been handled past being placed in her enclosure, having water changed and temps checked with a heat gun. Raz has been detailed above. I will note that in the few handling sessions that have occurred, Raz was always handled second and last. Nothing has been moved from one enclosure to the other.

Helena has now been moved out of the same room and is in my bedroom. Very luckily I had three thermostats, I keep a Jumpstart on hand just in case. Raz has been moved even further away from everyone else and is now in my partially finished basement. If he does have crypto I will consider everything he has come in contact with, enclosure, RHP, thermostat probe as lost causes and they will be discarded.

Is my dear little BEL in danger?

Worse, what risk have I exposed my other snakes to? Could I transmit crypto to them somehow?

I couldn't even imagine such an awful thing happening.....
    A few things and I will be 100% straight with you.

1. You don't know that Raz has Crypto, I would assume he does, for the safety of everyone else, but I wouldn't sell the farm until your know 100% that he does.

2. Breathe, there is nothing you can do now except get him to the vet and see what they say.

3. Tufts has an ER VET in Grafton, MA, which is where I took Yafe. They are open 24 hours and although it's $180 to show up, everything else was priced fairly and they did a great job. You might want to consider that. Not sure where in MA you are, but that's an option. Also, feel free to PM me and I can give you more information.

I am going to write the next thing for the benefit of everyone else reading this and for future reference.

Proper Quarantine Procedure:

1. Separate tank and separate room, or not near other animals.

2. Separate tools; hemostats for feeding, hooks, hides, etc. All unique to quarantined animal.

3. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! Paper Substrate, cleaned immediately and well with F10SC and allowed to sit to fully disinfect.

4. Quarantined animal is handled last. NO other animal is touched after quarantined animal on the same day. Hands are thoroughly washed and disinfected after contact with quarantined animal. Clothes are changed as well before touching any other animal in collection.

This lasts 60-90 days, preferably 90 days, and longer, if there are concerns.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (10-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Any news?

What did you decide to do?

Did you go to ER Vet at Tufts? Are you waiting until Monday?

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    F10SC does not kill Crypto so if the plan is worst case scenario the recommendation is at least 3% hydrogen peroxide and it’s not a guarantee it will kill it. Bleach and alcohol are also of no use. It’s highly contagious.
    Last edited by Jakethesnake69; 10-13-2018 at 09:26 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (10-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    F10SC does not kill Crypto so if the plan is worst case scenario the recommendation is at least 3% hydrogen peroxide and it’s not a guarantee it will kill it. Bleach and alcohol are also of no use. It’s highly contagious.
    I know. As far as I can find, only ammonia can kill crypto.

Dakski is right that I don't know what is going on, but I need to assume worst case. I apologize that I haven't given updates today, but I've been quite busy. I've been cleaning and doing what ever I could to do the best for my BEL. Her enclosure has been scrubbed, cleaned, aired out, and refurbished. A stressful day for her, and myself.

I haven't gone to Grafton and don't plan on it. I know about ER VET in Grafton, Mass. They actually did a vasectomy on one of my cats; not neuter, a vasectomy (long story). But In Weymouth, Mass., we have the Oddpet Vet. They focus on snakes and other reptiles and the doctor I'm seeing specializes in boas. So, I'll wait to see him rather than take a risk with whoever happens to be on duty. I've had enough experience with vets to understand that just anyone is not good enough. But I thank Dakski for the suggestion.

And I want to thank you all for your support and advice. The internet can be an ugly place, but this forum is a rare gem of friendship and comfort.

Finally, I want to stop posting on this thread. The title is too optimistic for the current circumstances and it stabs at me. I'll start a new thread tomorrow, or perhaps the day after so that I can keep you all abreast of the situation as it develops. Of course, I'll stay subscribed so I can read your comments.

Again, you all have my deepest gratitude.
    \m/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-15-2018)

Thanks

Any updates on Raz? Hoping you were able to see the Vet this morning and it wasn't as bad as many of us thought.
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 10-15-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

Its worse than anyone thought......

I'm afraid that the situation is now over.... I would prefer not to go into details at this time. I'm sure you all understand.

When I'm ready, I'll be creating a thread on the progression of my dear little BEL, Helena. She is the one most at risk of exposure and is the focus of my concern, but she's doing well. I convinced her to eat a frozen thawed rat pup, she had been on live, and she has kept it down for over two days now. So there is a ray of light shining out of this nightmare...
    Last edited by JRLongton; 10-16-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    \m/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-16-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Really sorry to hear that, really glad your python switched to frozen thawed

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 10-16-2018 at 01:25 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (10-16-2018)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast