Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,027

0 members and 3,027 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Sally, lavender SD retic

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeboyaz View Post
    That's a good size. I'd think that the d/sd animals have been around long enough now that the good breeeders should have a pretty good idea of adult sizes. Like you said though, there's no guarantee. I was using the hook every time I got them out or went into the cage until I watched garrets video on tap training recently. Now I just make sure they're aware of me so I don't startle them and reach in. My male is extremely food drivin though and sometimes I still have to tap him with the hook then he's all good. Kind of forces you to have to read the animal better which I like.
    Has he been through breeding mode with you yet?

Thanks

Not really sure honestly. There was a short period, maybe 1 1/2-2 month not to long ago where he would try to throw me off if I touched him but was fine once I got him out. He hatched early last year, not sure if he's of age or what breeding behavior is like.
    1.0 platinum retic "woody"
    0.1 purple albino retic "Jessie"
    0.1 albino corn "evie"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    She has been really mellow during her handling sessions. Very relaxed yet inquisitive. Several days ago when I went to feed her, I basically had to rub the rat across her nose. She just slowly opened her mouth and gently took the prey from the tongs.

Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-19-2018),Justin83 (11-20-2018),Kam (01-10-2021),MissterDog (11-20-2018)

Thanks

Stunning. Go ahead and get 2ft tongs now. Her feeding response will increase with size. Will never forget the first time Rainbow was super hungry and slammed into her glass to get at food before I was close enough to offer. The power of these guys is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    She has been really mellow during her handling sessions. Very relaxed yet inquisitive. Several days ago when I went to feed her, I basically had to rub the rat across her nose. She just slowly opened her mouth and gently took the prey from the tongs.

Thanks
    Gorgeous girl there, reach out reptiles are a fantastic company. I love his videos, very knowledgeable guy who seems totally genuine. That's why his snakes cost so much.
    1.0 75% SD retic .... 6ft Hector cb17 1.1kg
    0.1 coastal X ij carpet... Hielo cb15 8kg

1.1 crested gecko Vinnie + Mable

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Stunning. Go ahead and get 2ft tongs now. Her feeding response will increase with size. Will never forget the first time Rainbow was super hungry and slammed into her glass to get at food before I was close enough to offer. The power of these guys is amazing.
    Honestly none of my snakes typically get fed from tongs for that sole reason. Normally I'll pull the snake from the enclosure, then with a free hand I put the feeder into the enclosure. Next the snake goes back into the enclosure and magically finds food waiting for it. They learn that you approaching doesn't mean they will be eating, you are just the person that handles them. It has also eliminated the need for hook training. I only used tongs this one time since an hour after putting her back in the enclosure with food she still hadn't found it.

Now my friends retics I only see once a week and on feeding day. Yeah those I hook trained and feed from tongs.

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines

Thanks

Honestly none of my snakes typically get fed from tongs for that sole reason. Normally I'll pull the snake from the enclosure, then with a free hand I put the feeder into the enclosure. Next the snake goes back into the enclosure and magically finds food waiting for it. They learn that you approaching doesn't mean they will be eating, you are just the person that handles them. It has also eliminated the need for hook training. I only used tongs this one time since an hour after putting her back in the enclosure with food she still hadn't found it.

Now my friends retics I only see once a week and on feeding day. Yeah those I hook trained and feed from tongs.
    I have handled Rainbow when hungry but Monty? Never. I would never handle food and snake at same time. Retic in one hand and prey in the other will eventually equal bite or eating while still in your hand. They take eating seriously! I can handle my BPs right before feeding. King snake, yep. Corn snake, yep. Any of my boas except Luna my baby BRB, yep. Retic? NOPE! I hope you never learn the hard way. Also keep in mind if you do get bit this way, the snake just missed the food and is not trying to eat you. Feeding bites are way worse than defensive ones.

I gave myself a crash course in Retics and have learned so much. Not advisable for most though.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 11-20-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks
    You are correct a retic is no joke. Typically with the retics I'll place them on a perch outside of the enclosure and put the food in when they aren't looking. Wash my hands so I don't smell like prey, then move the snake back into the enclosure. As they as going back into the enclosure I shut the door enough so that they can't turn around and feed strike at my heat source.

How is Monty doing? Has he settled down any? Is he staying with you or eventually going back to the friend?

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes

Thanks

How is Monty doing? Has he settled down any? Is he staying with you or eventually going back to the friend?
    At this point he is staying I think. The breeder lost interest in dealing with him. I think is more of a business for him and he wants easy to handle over big personality. Monty is doing ok. Eating like a horse. If he is not hungry he is calm and somewhat easy to handle once out of his enclosure. I think him being only a year old??, he is still young and scared of most things. If hungry, look out! He will strike at anything till he is fed. I hope as he grows he will calm down. He is not pushing but does strike the glass from time to time. He is brightening up quite a bit and almost glitters as the platinum comes out right after shedding. I will never be able to hand him to anyone with trust but I do work with him still. Even when out he can be iffy. Once he wrapped my arm tightly and just started striking randomly everywhere. I wonder if he can see? He has a hard time finding his food and still misses when striking it. At a year I would think he would be better at finding food. I have been debating on taking him to the vet to check his eyes. Something seams off to me about his ability to detect things either way. I think this scares him and is why he behaves the way he does.

Thanks

Happy holHISSdays!

She's wrinkly and will probably shed soon.

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (12-07-2018),Justin83 (12-08-2018),Kam (01-10-2021),MR Snakes (12-08-2018)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast