Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,248

0 members and 1,248 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

Re: Help! Odyn stopped eating

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    How often are you offering? Sometimes offering food too often leads to more refusals.

He hasn't lost much weight so try not to stress too much!
    every two weeks right now since he is an adult.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Sunnieskys,

I think this has come in other threads about BP's not eating and you said if it happened to you, you would freak out. Am I correct?

Okay, first, a few deep breathes. Know we are all here for you and it will be okay.

Now, please remind us why he went to the vet and had anesthesia and his weight and age when possible.

If he's as old/big as I think he is, there is nothing to worry about at all.

BP's skip meals as they get older and when they are adults, it's what most of them do, especially males. Additionally, this is the time of year that many BP's start fasting. Shayna, my BP, started fasting in year 2 of her life and has done it every year since (4 years now). She starts around now and generally goes about 5 months. She loses 5-8% of her body weight and then starts eating again. She gains it all back within 2-3 months.

If you have been successfully feeding frozen/thawed, do not deviate. Keep offering F/T. He's probably just doing a BP fast thing.

How often are you offering food normally? Weekly, every other week, etc? What food items are you offering?

If he's refusing and you are offering every week. Go to every two weeks offering. If he refuses two meals in a row. Go to every month offering until he eats again. It may be a while, but HE WILL EAT AGAIN!

Remember, this BP food refusal and fasting behavior is much. much, harder on us as keepers/Snarents than on them.

Let us know some more info when you can, but I think I will stand by what I just said (unless he's 3 months old and 200G).

Deep breathes and it will be okay!

UPDATE: Just saw your response above. You must have written while I was typing mine. If he's an adult. You may be in for a 5-6 month+ fast, but everything I said above is applicable. He can probably go a year without food before I'd worry. I wouldn't even question it unless he loses more than 10% of his body weight.
    Last edited by dakski; 10-09-2018 at 11:58 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-09-2018),Coluber42 (10-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    I don't know if this helps, but try waving it in front of whatever hide he is in. I had to do that with my albino he would not take because he was laying on his head(lol). so I waved it a few times to try and get the scent into the hide then left it. for a few and he bit. Other than that all I can give is what I have seen other people say such as try the hair dryer while being in the room maybe with the enclosure door open to scent it further. Or over the screen top/opening if you have one.

Sorry for not being much help
    I have been doing that and he won't take it. My hair dryer died but I make sure the rat is over 100 degrees. I defrosted on top of the screen today as well.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I honestly don't know anything about anesthesia so I can't help there.

But, I would imagine he's just doing what BPs do.

How much does he weigh?
    How often are you offering?
    812g and offering every two weeks since he is a big boy now.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    If I remember correctly from prior posts, the injury/surgery was an attempt to remove fused/retained eye caps, and not something that would otherwise impact eating like stitches or a burn wound. Feeding for those other injuries would certainly be risky, but I think this time it isn't the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I'll second that ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

And to be clear, when I agreed that the OP might try a live "appetizer", that's an option that's debatable...you hate to regress, but it often does work.
    When I kept BPs, I also raised rodents, so easy availability (& variety) was always there, but it isn't ideal for many keepers, & depending on the size/age
    of the BP, this refusal may have nothing to do with the vet visit at all. He's most likely just being a typical BP. (It's also why I love my rat snakes, lol...)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-09-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Big boy! I stick by what I said. I wouldn't even begin to worry until he's lost 10% of his body weight. If he gets below 730G, you can start to be concerned, but even then, if he's body shape is good, he's probably fine. He will eat again.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-09-2018),pretends2bnormal (10-09-2018)

Thanks
    Ok. Boop ate his rat last night so I will wait another two weeks to offer and give boop his rat again if he refuses. He has always been such a great eater. He really isn't even coming out of his hides like he used too. He just sulks.

and no I'm not giving boop two rats. She only got his. I actually thinks she likes small rats better than the mediums. Weird.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Glad he ate for you. They'll sometimes slow down or stop feeding altogether especially during the colder months.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 10-09-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-09-2018),dakski (10-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Ball pythons are like kids...you can't live with 'em but you can't live without 'em... Don't let their head-games make you second-guess your skills.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-09-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Ok, sounds perfect. I wouldn't worry or change a thing.

Tyson took his first "break" starting in Feb and ended in June. He went 2/2 - 6/5 without a meal and take a guess what his weight was....yup 810 when he started.

So based on past experience, all that I've read, and my current experience with Tyson, I would wager that Odyn is taking a break and will eat when he's ready. It'll likely be a few months. Try not to worry (I know, easier said than done). Like Dakski said, as long as he doesn't drop below 730 grams or so I wouldn't worry. Keep offering every few weeks.
    As of now, I would say it's annoying, but not a health concern, just a BP being a BP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast