Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,708

0 members and 2,708 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Blood in Urates?

Hi all, as the title suggests, I believe my female western hognose just passed urates with a small amount of blood in it. A little background: she was a rabid eater a few months ago but started to become inconsistent. Over the last three months she's eaten about once a month. She had a 92 degree hotspot with the cool end being around 80 degrees. Since I feel that her feeding response has dipped since being in a larger enclosure, I moved her into a 15qt tub today.

The thing that concerns me a bit is she was 158g (on a full stomach) in April. As of September 30th, she is 134g empty. I did a quick google search which suggests that some snakes pass blood in their urates when they are ovulating, however, I wanted confirmation from the experienced hoggie owners here to see how concerned I should be. Can anyone provide some insight into this and how concerned I should be? Thank you in advance for your responses!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    The fact that her eating has become inconsistent, PLUS seeing blood in her stool, would make ME take a stool sample (& the snake as well) to a
    reptile vet A.S.A.P. If you wait too long, there may be no snake (alive) to treat...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-08-2018 at 03:48 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

cron14 (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Re: Blood in Urates?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The fact that her eating has become inconsistent, PLUS seeing blood in her stool, would make ME take a stool sample (& the snake as well) to a
    reptile vet A.S.A.P. If you wait too long, there may be no snake (alive) to treat...
    This may be a really stupid question, but what if I can't get a stool sample by the time I go to the vet? She only passed urates today. Should I grab those and refrigerate them? They are currently sitting in the garbage just in case anyone thinks I left them sitting in the cage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cron14 View Post
    This may be a really stupid question, but what if I can't get a stool sample by the time I go to the vet? She only passed urates today. Should I grab those and refrigerate them? They are currently sitting in the garbage just in case anyone thinks I left them sitting in the cage.
    Yes, I would try that, it's better than nothing. Not a stupid question either...a snake that's not eating consistently CAN be hard to get a stool sample from, & while fresh is better, at least it's something & may help. This is likely an easily treatable G.I. issue at this point, all the best!

BTW, if this bit of stool is fresh now, see if the vet can check it NOW, even if an actual appointment has to wait. That's what I'd do.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-08-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks

Yes, I would try that, it's better than nothing. Not a stupid question either...a snake that's not eating consistently CAN be hard to get a stool sample from, & while fresh
    is better, at least it's something & may help. This is likely an easily treatable G.I. issue at this point, all the best!
    Thanks a lot! I think I found a good vet nearby so hopefully I can get an appointment for this weekend.

Thanks

Thanks a lot! I think I found a good vet nearby so hopefully I can get an appointment for this weekend.
    BTW, if this bit of stool is fresh now, see if the vet can check it NOW, even if an actual appointment has to wait. That's what I'd do. No harm asking them...

Thanks

Is it fresh (red) blood, or dark/black blood? Or is it pinkish?

Pink can be parasites, so I’ve heard. Red would indicate that maybe it was a large movement and some superficial tearing occurred. Dark would indicate internal bleeding and far more serious.

In any case, your safest bet is to send a fecal to a vet.

Good luck!

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018),cron14 (10-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    Is it fresh (red) blood, or dark/black blood? Or is it pinkish?

Pink can be parasites, so I’ve heard. Red would indicate that maybe it was a large movement and some superficial tearing occurred. Dark would indicate internal bleeding and far more serious.

In any case, your safest bet is to send a fecal to a vet.

Good luck!
    It was definitely red. Hoping to get an appointment for Saturday morning. The urate did look a bit large but it’s definitely worth getting her checked out.

Thanks

It was definitely red. Hoping to get an appointment for Saturday morning. The urate did look a bit large but it’s definitely worth getting her checked out.
    Let's hope it was just a "one off" due to irritation from a large urate (that maybe dried out & was harder than usual), but along with the appetite issue, it's still a good
    idea to get her checked.

Thanks

Let's hope it was just a "one off" due to irritation from a large urate (that maybe dried out & was harder than usual), but along with the appetite issue, it's still a good
    idea to get her checked.
    Just wanted to provide an update. My hognose (Penny) passed another urate that didn't have the slightest hint of red. I was obviously encouraged by this and decided to try to feed her. I offered two fuzzies and she ate both! I am fairly certain now she was just stressed in being in a larger tub. At this point, Deborah has pointed this out several times, I believe she is a hoggie that just prefers snug enclosures. Hoping she is back on track now but will continue to monitor. Thanks for all the advice!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cron14 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-15-2018)