Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,909

1 members and 2,908 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Boils down to lack of respect, putting a snake that size around your neck is as brilliant as sticking your head in an alligators mouth. I had a neighbor that told me if some one starts out a conversation with “Watch This!” Something stupid is about to happen. It’s held true for the most part. Knowing the risks and doing it anyway seems far to common these days.
    What is sad is that bad decision effects not only him but his loved ones. It makes snake owners look bad and creates an environment of misinformation and hatred towards an animal that probably was just holding on out of insecurity.
    I hope this guys family can get through this but it really is a senseless death and very preventable. I didn’t down load the app to read it but I am truely sad that his family is dealing with this and that picture is tough to swallow.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-08-2018),Bogertophis (10-08-2018),Craiga 01453 (10-08-2018),Sonny1318 (10-08-2018),zina10 (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Re: Python killed guy?

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    Looks like a juvenile Rock python? Not sure though. This story is lacking some serious detail.... I hate that stuff with such little research effort is allowed to be passed off as journalism.

Based on the pictures, video, and the details given... seems like the guy had it around his neck while he was riding a motorcyle, then he wrecked, the snake tightened out of fear.... and the guy passed out and no one helped him because they were scared of getting bit. Of course the snake was on the defense - he'd just been in an accident. Also, who knows whether the snake actually was the sole cause of death.... this guy just had a wreck and could have sustained additional internal injuries.

That said, I do believe a snake that size COULD kill someone; however, as evidenced by this event, it would be largely due to "user error," if you will. A responsible owner wouldn't allow a snake of that size to be coiled around his neck so many times seemingly with no other anchor. Non the less while you're riding a motorcycle and can't easily intervene if something goes awry.

Drape a snake across your shoulders, sure, but always make sure you have two hands on its body supporting the snake elsewhere so you can prevent wrapping. And the handling of a snake this size should always be your focus, not an afterthought while you multitask.
    Maybe he wrecked because the snake tightened up? Quite possible as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupČry

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018),Sonny1318 (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Don't underestimate the power of a snake around your neck. It was "demonstrated" to me personally by a seldom-handled adult bull snake that was given to me
    many years ago. It wasn't "feed" mode either, just nervousness on her part I think, and the fact that my long hair became tangled with the snake making it VERY
    hard to find the tail to unwrap quickly. She was a good pet for many years after with me, but also a very good "teacher" at the start.

And my large adult Florida rat snakes may be slender compared to boas & pythons, but at roughly 7' (the males) are surprisingly strong, very hard to remove when
    they don't want to let go. They normally handle VERY well, but one time, my one guy would NOT let go of my arm... No bite, just hung on...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-08-2018 at 12:15 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (10-08-2018),Sonny1318 (10-08-2018),zina10 (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knowell View Post
    I would think it wouldn't be that easy for a python that size to kill someone. What type of python is that? Do you think this is fake?

Ghanaian man strangled to death by his pet python (Video) https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0GN4t...a4&pd=95303471

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    I do think it's real, & by the way, the average height of a Ghanaian man is only 5'2"...so that is also a factor. Very sad article, but owner made big mistakes.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (10-08-2018),zina10 (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I do think it's real, & by the way, the average height of a Ghanaian man is only 5'2"...so that is also a factor. Very sad article, but owner made big mistakes.
    It looks well before an autopsy I wonder if anyone considered that he died from natural causes and just so happened to have a snake around his neck.

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.0 nuclear (butter,fire)
    0.1 lavender albino het pied
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knowell View Post
    It looks well before an autopsy I wonder if anyone considered that he died from natural causes and just so happened to have a snake around his neck.

Very possible, and also possible that riding a motorcycle freaked the snake out a little & it tightened up. I've had a snake panic & nip when all I did was walk in front
    of a mirror when I was holding it...the sudden appearance (to the snake) of movement from the side caused its fear, so imagine the stress that a motorcycle ride might
    cause, with things (visually) "flying past" on all sides simultaneously. The guy made some big mistakes, either way: that's NOT the safe way to transport a snake, ever!
    (And for all we know, he might have hit a bump or swerved to avoid something & crashed, & THAT'S what caused the snake to tighten? We'll never know.)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Very possible, and also possible that riding a motorcycle freaked the snake out a little & it tightened up. I've had a snake panic & nip when all I did was walk in front
    of a mirror when I was holding it...the sudden appearance (to the snake) of movement from the side caused its fear, so imagine the stress that a motorcycle ride might
    cause, with things (visually) "flying past" on all sides simultaneously. The guy made some big mistakes, either way: that's NOT the safe way to transport a snake, ever!
    (And for all we know, he might have hit a bump or swerved to avoid something & crashed, & THAT'S what caused the snake to tighten? We'll never know.)
    I completely agree

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.0 nuclear (butter,fire)
    0.1 lavender albino het pied
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    ...the staff at N.E.R.D., along with a team of scientists, did testing on the construction strength of large pythons for a
    documentary....
    I honestly never knew that snakes were into construction at all...I learn SO much on this forum! I guess they only work in warm weather though...?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-08-2018 at 03:35 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-09-2018),Knowell (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Python killed guy?

“From 1979 to 2003, 504 people in the USA died from dog bites.”

“4.5-4.6 million people in the USA are bitten by dogs every year.”

“From 1990 to 2013, only 10 people died in the USA by captive constrictors (aka non-venomous snakes). That means on average, 0.43 people die in USA per year as a result of non venomous snake attack.”

I rest my case.

Everybody has a dog and thinks nothing if it..
    “Dogs are just cute and good pets”, “pythons are terrible and will choke you to death!”

I don’t like many dogs as pets, I love dogs, but the majority of dog owners are idiots imo.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 10-08-2018 at 05:13 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Knowell (10-08-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12