Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,782

2 members and 2,780 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quick genetics question on albino’s

Really thinking hard about getting a Coral Albino Jungle Kahl and have one question. It’s mainly about the coloring and will it wash out as the snake gets larger and older. I want to say I’ve read the Sharp Albinos lose the orange in the saddles or maybe it’s better to say they wash out or fade. This is my last really must have and I am looking for Albino and Jungle. Does the coral do about the same as the hypo gene? Not necessarily a Junglow but the Coral Albino Jungle with the Kahl looks like what I want. Genetics are confusing.
    Last edited by Jakethesnake69; 10-08-2018 at 12:37 AM.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    All albinos fade out, some more than others, of both strains but sharps tend to hold their color more in general. Boas gain yellow as they age which is what washes out the pinks. The coral line tends to also gain pink as it ages usually making for a more colorful adult. It's a line bred trait so the amount of pink gained varies (look at the parents to get a decent idea of what to expect! I cannot stress this enough).
    Hypo doesn't gain color, it's just a reduction of black letting more pinks/reds show through and generally can add pinched saddles (bowties) and sometimes tail striping (tail stripes are also part of the normal boa variation).
    I hope that helps a little?
    For the Horde!

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    I have my eye on a Coral Albino Jungle Kahl and I think I’m going to go ahead and get him. I have communicated with the breeder and it’s really just a matter of making up my mind. Since I’m never going to breed it’s just a matter of what catches my eye and this little guy I’m looking at does that for sure.
    Thank you for the input it helps some.