Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,927

0 members and 2,927 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Thanks

Hello

Hey all, I posted an introduction in the regional forum as well before I saw this one pop up but I've been lurking around for several weeks before actually posting. I plan on buying a ball python or two in November at the Billing Reptile Expo with my husband. I've been doing my research for about a month now and am in the process of building the tanks. Any others from Montana here?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elekia For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Not from Montana, but anyway. And glad to hear you're doing research first...you'll also want to test out your enclosures for temperature & humidity
    for several days to a week BEFORE you bring home any snakes. It's the pits to have to fix it with a new & very stressed snake already moved in, especially if for
    some reason something doesn't work right & you actually need to buy something else...the Expo would be an excellent place for that too, most likely.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-08-2018),dakski (10-07-2018),Elekia (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Hello

Welcome!

Great you are doing your research and setting up tank(s) before getting your snake(s)!

You are off to a great start!

Please let us know if you have questions, comments, or concerns. We are here to help.

Additionally, once your snake(s) are home, pictures are a must.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Welcome aboard! You’ll be glad you set everything up in advance...much less stress on your new pet and yourself.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-08-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome to the forum and (soon) the wonderful world of snake keeping.

Like others have said, great job doing your research! Keep reading, read read read and read some more, and ask questions. We're happy to help and the more we know about our pets the better we can care for them

Also, one thing to consider, if you do bring two home you'll want to follow proper quarantine practices.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks all! And pics will happen, its another hobby and I'm constantly photographing my babies. I plan on setting the tanks up after I get back from hunting, so last week of October, so that gives me about two, two and a half weeks of monitoring and making sure my temperatures and humility are working out correctly. I'll also post photos in the husbandry forums to make sure they are cluttered enough since I plan on getting 30 gal tanks so they can grow into them. Don't want to cause any more unnecessary stress than they already are going through.

Question about quarantine practices, since they are getting their own tanks, possibly in separate rooms, and I have no other reptiles (only cats), is it necessary to keep them in a plain jane tank before introducing them to their permanent habitat? I have volunteered at our local reptile rescue and have helped with cleaning out a mite out break so I know what to look for avoid that, and how to pick a healthy looking animal. So we are just on the lookout for parasites/diseases.

Thanks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elekia For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elekia View Post
    .....Question about quarantine practices, since they are getting their own tanks, possibly in separate rooms, and I have no other reptiles (only cats), is it necessary to keep them in a plain jane tank before introducing them to their permanent habitat? I have volunteered at our local reptile rescue and have helped with cleaning out a mite out break so I know what to look for avoid that, and how to pick a healthy looking animal. So we are just on the lookout for parasites/diseases. Thanks!
    It's really easy to miss a mite or two, & very hard to spot them until their population suddenly increases unless on boring white paper towels; also hard to see issues
    in stool on natural substrates (such as a tinge of blood or mucus), so I would still encourage you not to waste the nice decor for several weeks, but it's up to you. You
    wouldn't be the first to have to throw all the decor away & start over when unforeseen issues show up.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    You already got great advice...

mine comes from a different direction.

Make sure you want ball pythons! Not to deter you, I have 3 myself... that being said. I now have many other snakes and types because of the differences and care levels.

Research what’s out there and what appeals to you as well as husbandry. Ball pythons aren’t the ideal “starter” snake as many believe and if healthy and in a good enclosure you won’t see much of them unless crusing at night or you take them out to handle.

I love mine and have 3 great ones but pretty sure I’m done with them.

This hobby is addicting so think of space and how many you really want early on
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018),Elekia (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    You already got great advice...

mine comes from a different direction.

Make sure you want ball pythons! Not to deter you, I have 3 myself... that being said. I now have many other snakes and types because of the differences and care levels.

Research what’s out there and what appeals to you as well as husbandry. Ball pythons aren’t the ideal “starter” snake as many believe and if healthy and in a good enclosure you won’t see much of them unless crusing at night or you take them out to handle.

I love mine and have 3 great ones but pretty sure I’m done with them.

This hobby is addicting so think of space and how many you really want early on
    Great advice! I don't think a lot of people expect their pythons to be as laid back and sneaky but this is why we are going with ball pythons. We are often gone for long periods during the day and are only really home and active at night, so the nocturnal nature is perfect for us. (Husband is also an insomniac) And I was looking for a snake with a long life span and a laid back personality. I considered a red-tailed boa for a while but I simply don't have the room to give an adult the habitat it deserves even if I'm buying a young one now.

I had initially wanted a corn snake but after handling a friends ball python I fell in love with how relaxed and chill he was. After a few days of research into the species and care I was hooked. My husband hasn't decided on which species hes going to get. He may still get a corn, he's undecided.

In theory I am prepared for the picky eating nature. I also have my friends who are experienced owners of ball pythons of several years. But of course plans never hold together in the face of action. I do appreciate everyone's advice here and I'm continuing my research here and on other places.

I actually bought a book; Ball Python's in Captivity by Kevin McCurley that I'm reading through as well. I'll save all the decorations and substrate during the quarantine process. I have a huge supply of paper towels. So that's finally going to come in handy. Once again, thanks everyone for all the help!!! <3

Thanks

Nothing against corn snakes (I have 5 currently) but you might look into a Trans Pecos rat snake (Bogertophis subocularis) instead; they are very mellow, nocturnal,
    curious, easy to feed on f/t, easy to care for (I recommend 40 g. glass tank for an adult), and they stay about 4' max. They are fun to watch as they'll gracefully use
    branches & platforms in their cages; I wire a basket into their branches in addition to cool & warm side hides on the cage floor. A plus is their big eyes, very personable
    & genuinely nosy (I have 3 currently)- have your husband take a look or better yet, actually meet one. BTW, I've kept BPs in the past too, but my fave by far are TPs.

BPs are attractive & a nice size, but "picky eaters" get tiresome if you're a busy person...also it's a bigger challenge to maintain the heat & humidity they need to stay
    healthy. TPs typically can live to about 20 years. They are a SW desert species, need UTH & good air circulation (screen tops preferred).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-08-2018 at 07:06 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Elekia (10-08-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast