Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,919

1 members and 2,918 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What's your occupation/job?

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    19 at taco bell
    Lol, that's a big mood XD
    My best friend is a cat.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moshimaru View Post
    I just turned 30, and I'm a librarian.

It sounds quiet, and relaxing, but it's actually the exact opposite. They don't tell you in school that you are essentially functioning as a social worker on a daily basis, despite our education being in research. Many patrons, for a variety of reasons, come to us as a last resort, so we get a lot of questions that you might not expect, ranging from simply finding a book, checking on the stock market, or learning how to use a computer, to locating resources that will help them find affordable housing for low income seniors, or how to apply for SNAP benefits.

I do enjoy the true reference aspect, and I like the collection and acquisitions process, but the patron interactions can become emotionally and mentally draining. A lot of people are kind and grateful for our help, but some others often forget that the person sitting at the desk across from them is a human being, and not just a government robot programmed to take unlimited amounts of venting and verbal abuse.
    Dang, sounds like it can be rough at times. It seems like it can be tolerable for the most part, but it's just those flaws that can really make an impact, huh?
    My best friend is a cat.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Moshimaru (10-07-2018),Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    Might as well share where you sometimes go off to when you're away from your reptile friend XD Knowing a lot of you users range from being in your 20s-30s, I'm kind of curious to know what you guys actually work as.

Also, do you love or hate your job? Why?
    You know it's illegal to start a thread like this without telling everyone what your job is...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SquirmyPug For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2018),jmcrook (10-07-2018),PitOnTheProwl (10-07-2018),Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Portfolio Manager by day (finance) and herpetologist at night (just kidding - that's just a hobby - I pay to be a herpetologist, not the other way around).

Also, I am not saying I am Batman, but no one has ever seen me and Batman at the same place and at the same time.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2018),Jus1More (10-07-2018),Reinz (10-07-2018),richardhind1972 (10-10-2018),Traceur (10-07-2018),Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    You know it's illegal to start a thread like this without telling everyone what your job is...
    Lol, my bad XD

But I work at an animal shelter. I clean kennels and move cats around. I also socialize shy/nervous cats. We also do little side jobs like doing the laundry and making sure the dishes get cleaned. Sometimes I work in the dog section, but I'm mostly in cats
    Its a lot of fun! It can be overwhelming, but it really is a joy to know that even a fresh bowl of food can make a cat happy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Portfolio Manager by day (finance) and herpetologist at night (just kidding - that's just a hobby - I pay to be a herpetologist, not the other way around).

Also, I am not saying I am Batman, but no one has ever seen me and Batman at the same place and at the same time.
    Lol, I love it!! XD Sounds like fun!
    My best friend is a cat.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    Lol, my bad XD

But I work at an animal shelter. I clean kennels and move cats around. I also socialize shy/nervous cats. We also do little side jobs like doing the laundry and making sure the dishes get cleaned. Sometimes I work in the dog section, but I'm mostly in cats
    Its a lot of fun! It can be overwhelming, but it really is a joy to know that even a fresh bowl of food can make a cat happy

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, I love it!! XD Sounds like fun!
    That's awesome, I actually just adopted a kitten last Saturday from the humane society

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SquirmyPug For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moshimaru View Post
    I just turned 30, and I'm a librarian.

It sounds quiet, and relaxing, but it's actually the exact opposite. They don't tell you in school that you are essentially functioning as a social worker on a daily basis, despite our education being in research. Many patrons, for a variety of reasons, come to us as a last resort, so we get a lot of questions that you might not expect, ranging from simply finding a book, checking on the stock market, or learning how to use a computer, to locating resources that will help them find affordable housing for low income seniors, or how to apply for SNAP benefits.

I do enjoy the true reference aspect, and I like the collection and acquisitions process, but the patron interactions can become emotionally and mentally draining. A lot of people are kind and grateful for our help, but some others often forget that the person sitting at the desk across from them is a human being, and not just a government robot programmed to take unlimited amounts of venting and verbal abuse.
    It's always so interesting to compare our expectations of a job to what someone actually sees who is in that position. I think this is what makes it so hard to choose a
    career when we're young & in high school or college-age: you really need to walk a mile in someone else's shoes before following their career path. Nothing like actual
    experience.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    That's awesome, I actually just adopted a kitten last Saturday from the humane society
    Yup, humane society is what it is Kittens are fun to transfer around the shelter. But gosh, you think you know them when you actually have to scrape their poop off litter boxes and kennel walls. Their kennels take longer to clean because of their messes. And it's beyond CHAOTIC when kitten season comes around.
    My best friend is a cat.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    43 and over 20 years in automotive. Mechanic/ grease monkey and 2 weeks into starting a new shop with a friend.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2018),Jus1More (10-07-2018),Traceur (10-07-2018),Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Thanks

35, work at Staples as an Operations Supervisor for 10 years. Though I am hoping to make a jump into the government as an administrative assistant. Hit that invisible glass ceiling of middle management.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Elekia For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast