Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

1 members and 2,881 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: What's your occupation/job?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Aged 60 !!

Just started my 25th year working with autistic and Asperger teenagers .. helping them get through the trauma of high school life ...

I sometimes feel a bit of a cheat as I'm Aspergers myself and in a way it makes the job so much easier ... although on the other hand being an 'aspie' also makes some aspects of my role so much harder of course ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That is very cool! My other half’s daughter is autistic, significantly enough that she will never lead a normal life and will always need care. There are far more programs and support groups now than there used to be when she was diagnosed. So often those kids need an extra hand in navigating ‘normal’ society, and it’s great to hear that is being provided these days.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    53, was a Mold Maker, CNC programmer. Did that for twenty years, then worked as truck driver for DHL for around 3 1/2 years (a division of that moved very, very big things on planes). Got hurt long story, short answer bad enough to be considered severely disabled. Now I just fight to stay healthy.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2018),Dianne (10-07-2018),Jus1More (10-07-2018),Reinz (10-07-2018),Traceur (10-07-2018),Zincubus (10-07-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm 34. For over 8 years, I am a paralegal registered with the state. The field I am currently in is auto insurance defense but I started out on the Plaintiff side of things. Some of my former coworkers refer me as to having join the 'dark side' lol but both sides have its pros and cons.

I don't love it. It is rare to find anyone, including lawyers (outside of their own egos), to love this work after doing it for so long. Like most jobs, it is almost like a game of ping pong where both players on each side is required to continue this game for both sakes. I would say I'm good at it, it pays the bills plus more, and I like it when my own knowledge and experience can help others.

For anyone who is interested or curious about becoming a lawyer, best to get your feet wet as an assistant before incurring thousands of dollars in law school, enter into an already lawyer saturated market, and end up hating what you become.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 10-07-2018 at 12:29 PM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-07-2018),Bogertophis (10-07-2018),Jus1More (10-07-2018),Traceur (10-07-2018),Zincubus (10-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I’m Exhibitions Coordinator and a Foundations Course Instructor in the Art Department at Mississippi State University. Basically I teach one drawing/design class per semester and install 10-12 art exhibitions a year. I ensure the safe handling, packing, shipping, display, and lighting of the work in two galleries on campus and then patch and paint the walls between shows, build displays, coordinate a statewide juried student art competition and coordinate a summer camp for at risk youth in June. It’s enjoyable for the most part and allows me a decent amount of time to work on my own art in my studio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2018),Dianne (10-07-2018),Jus1More (10-07-2018),Traceur (10-07-2018),Zincubus (10-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I’m Exhibitions Coordinator and a Foundations Course Instructor in the Art Department at Mississippi State University. Basically I teach one drawing/design class per semester and install 10-12 art exhibitions a year. I ensure the safe handling, packing, shipping, display, and lighting of the work in two galleries on campus and then patch and paint the walls between shows, build displays, coordinate a statewide juried student art competition and coordinate a summer camp for at risk youth in June. It’s enjoyable for the most part and allows me a decent amount of time to work on my own art in my studio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's amazing! I'm an artist myself, and knowing some workers in the art department, it must be cool working with that kind of stuff, huh?
    My best friend is a cat.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-07-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    49 here, spent my entire life manufacturing after getting out of 4 years in Marine Corps. Built cabinets and moved on to high dollar windows, doors and hatches for yachts. High dollar as in $10,000 for a interior door. Was a CNC machinist at that job for 15 years. Moved on to a large airplane manufacturer and was hurt doing someones job they refused to do and ultimately am facing something new. Was told everything I have ever done is only going to aggravate my injury and make my quality of life worse than it is now.
    So what do I do now, I’m not sure yet. Hope to go back to school but not sure how this injury deal will play out. Miss the going to work every day routine and OT, was a workaholic.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2018),Dianne (10-07-2018),Jus1More (10-07-2018),Sonny1318 (10-08-2018),Traceur (10-07-2018),Zincubus (10-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I'm 34. For over 8 years, I am a paralegal registered with the state. The field I am currently in is auto insurance defense but I started out on the Plaintiff side of things. Some of my former coworkers refer me as to having join the 'dark side' lol but both sides have its pros and cons.

I don't love it. It is rare to find anyone, including lawyers (outside of their own egos), to love this work after doing it for so long. Like most jobs, it is almost like a game of ping pong where both players on each side is required to continue this game for both sakes. I would say I'm good at it, it pays the bills plus more, and I like it when my own knowledge and experience can help others.

For anyone who is interested or curious about becoming a lawyer, best to get your feet wet as an assistant before incurring thousands of dollars in law school, enter into an already lawyer saturated market, and end up hating what you become.
    What's your take on the Kavanagh situation ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    49 here, spent my entire life manufacturing after getting out of 4 years in Marine Corps. Built cabinets and moved on to high dollar windows, doors and hatches for yachts. High dollar as in $10,000 for a interior door. Was a CNC machinist at that job for 15 years. Moved on to a large airplane manufacturer and was hurt doing someones job they refused to do and ultimately am facing something new. Was told everything I have ever done is only going to aggravate my injury and make my quality of life worse than it is now.
    So what do I do now, I’m not sure yet. Hope to go back to school but not sure how this injury deal will play out. Miss the going to work every day routine and OT, was a workaholic.
    Amazing! Really makes me happy to hear how much you've done in your years! Hope that injury situation gets sorted out soon and you pick a new route.

Best of luck to you!
    My best friend is a cat.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    19 at taco bell

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VereMyth For This Useful Post:

Traceur (10-07-2018),Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    I just turned 30, and I'm a librarian.

It sounds quiet, and relaxing, but it's actually the exact opposite. They don't tell you in school that you are essentially functioning as a social worker on a daily basis, despite our education being in research. Many patrons, for a variety of reasons, come to us as a last resort, so we get a lot of questions that you might not expect, ranging from simply finding a book, checking on the stock market, or learning how to use a computer, to locating resources that will help them find affordable housing for low income seniors, or how to apply for SNAP benefits.

I do enjoy the true reference aspect, and I like the collection and acquisitions process, but the patron interactions can become emotionally and mentally draining. A lot of people are kind and grateful for our help, but some others often forget that the person sitting at the desk across from them is a human being, and not just a government robot programmed to take unlimited amounts of venting and verbal abuse.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moshimaru For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2018),Jus1More (10-07-2018),Traceur (10-07-2018),Zincubus (10-08-2018)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast