Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,987

2 members and 2,985 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Breeding Rats for BP’s

Hello!
    I’ve bred hundreds of mice in the past for various reasons, and now I own 3 ball pythons and would really like to breed my own rats. I’ve done all the research I believe is possible, but the one answer I cannot find is what you do with your adult breeder rats when they are ready to retire that are too big to feed off to a ball python, when you only own ball pythons. TIA!

Thanks
    Either keep them as pets or sell them to those with snakes that can eat them.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Breeding Rats for BP’s

Quote Originally Posted by Rockelle View Post
    Hello!
    I’ve bred hundreds of mice in the past for various reasons, and now I own 3 ball pythons and would really like to breed my own rats. I’ve done all the research I believe is possible, but the one answer I cannot find is what you do with your adult breeder rats when they are ready to retire that are too big to feed off to a ball python, when you only own ball pythons. TIA!
    When you have 3 snakes and want to breed you want to make sure your snakes are switch to F/T because at 6 weeks of age your rats will be to hold to feed to your BP and considering are notorious BP are when it comes to fast you will have period where you will produce rats and no one will eat. So once they reach 6 weeks old euthanize the rats and freeze them, that will allow you to have food available and not have any waste.

When it comes to retire breeders you either give them away or sell them to people who have bigger snakes, or you feed wildlife.

I live on 4 acres and chose to feed wildlife.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-06-2018)