Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,006

1 members and 3,005 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Ambient heat question!

Hello, I'm a bit new to snake keeping, and have successfully kept a baby BCI for about a year now, but I've moved houses and some new questions have popped up for me. So, I've kept my BCI in a plastic tub for awhile with two heat pads for the cold and hot spaces. The hot space is set at 90 degrees while the cold spot hovers around 78-80 degrees. Both have separate thermostats. My problem is the new house I stay at, the room temperature hovers around 60-70 degrees I'll have to keep the BCI in, and I'll be getting a T-8 from animal plastics. My question is if I have heat mats to keep the cold side and warm side at proper temps if the ambient temp will be a problem, or if I should get a RHP or a CHE to boost ambient temps?

The cage he'll be staying in will be in a carpeted room, and the substrate I use is aspen wood shavings. I have no problems with humidity, as the place I live in already has very high humidity on it's own and it's very easy to raise the humidity in his cage.

(Sorry if this question has been asked before!)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You're probably going to need some other heat source, for two reasons: One, the heat mats you have are pretty low wattage (they have to be, otherwise the floor would get too hot) and probably don't produce enough heat, period, for a colder room. And the second is that the bottom of the AP cage is thicker than your plastic tub and will not let as much heat through from the heat mats. Either a CHE or an RHP will do the job. Of the two, the RHP is probably easier and more efficient since it doesn't get hot enough to burn from momentary contact, and it mounts inside the cage. With the CHE you'd have to either cut a hole and cover it with screen and put the CHE fixture above the cage, or put the CHE inside the cage with a safety cage around it. The t8 doesn't have all that much head room, so putting a fixture inside that sticks down that far is probably not ideal. Putting the fixture above the cage means you'll lose more heat to the room, and you don't have the option of putting anything on top of or above the cage.