Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,838

5 members and 2,833 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: good starter jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Direpython View Post
    Do you have any scaled friends of your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sorta but not, i have a western hognose, she helped me out a lot as just a good distraction whenever i needed it, but in order to get away from my parents i had to move in with my grandma who has an absolute no reptile policy. so my hognose is staying at a friends house until im capable of moving out

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

thankfully i never had to work in the food industry. i never took an internship either! but i went to school and have lotsa employable skills (and debt), but i make decent money and work hard and try to freelance on the side too.

trade schools are very affordable places for learning a highly sought-after skill. college might not be the way for everyone, and that's fine! but trade schools are a great alternative.

you could try being a vet tech or something like that! check your local community colleges and see what they offer.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 10-05-2018 at 09:35 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

I’ll share a couple pictures of mine
    My hatchling red tail boa Luna

Hermonie my adult female redtail

Yellowbelly female

Mojave male

Prego pastel female

Esmerelda my female pinstripe lesser pastel

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Direpython For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (03-13-2019),Reinz (10-05-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    thankfully i never had to work in the food industry. i never took an internship either! but i went to school and have lotsa employable skills (and debt), but i make decent money and work hard and try to freelance on the side too.

trade schools are very affordable places for learning a highly sought-after skill. college might not be the way for everyone, and that's fine! but trade schools are a great alternative.

you could try being a vet tech or something like that! check your local community colleges and see what they offer.
    my ~dream~ is to have a good paying manual labor job (which is very easily obtainable in the maintenance industry, i have second hand experience) and then i want to breed BPs on the side

Thanks

I’ll share a couple pictures of mine
    My hatchling red tail boa Luna

Hermonie my adult female redtail

Yellowbelly female

Mojave male

Prego pastel female

Esmerelda my female pinstripe lesser pastel

boas are so beautiful but im still apprehensive of them due to their size (im not sure why) but your snakes are all so beautiful! i want a BEL so bad, its unbelievable.

also side note, my hognoses name is luna!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Call a local technical school. Most high schools partner with them nowadays . Your still young enough to go back and probably for free!!

That's along the lines I would suggest as well. First get that GED, & find a trade/technical skill that suits you...something that has a future & pays, not all good jobs
    require college. While it seems like a nice idea to work in a pet store, you won't be the boss, and even if you find one that "cares" now, managers often change for
    the worse; it's unlikely that will work as a career. ALL jobs can have "employee drama"...that's life (& luck of the draw). If nothing else, take a food service job for a
    while...it won't kill you...whatever you do, do a GOOD job & that job will help you get the next BETTER one. References go a long way...remember that. Sorry about
    your home life was a wreck...so was mine...just don't let it stop you, or keep you in self-pity, because we all get a bad hand some of the time, it's what we make of it.
    Good careers working with animals are highly competitive & often don't pay well because they don't have to in order to keep people there...I can remember wanting
    to be a zoo-keeper, but my choice of an unrelated & well-paying job let me do my own thing with the animals of my choice...a far better option for me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (03-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's along the lines I would suggest as well. First get that GED, & find a trade/technical skill that suits you...something that has a future & pays, not all good jobs
    require college. While it seems like a nice idea to work in a pet store, you won't be the boss, and even if you find one that "cares" now, managers often change for
    the worse; it's unlikely that will work as a career. ALL jobs can have "employee drama"...that's life (& luck of the draw). If nothing else, take a food service job for a
    while...it won't kill you...whatever you do, do a GOOD job & that job will help you get the next BETTER one. References go a long way...remember that. Sorry about
    your home life was a wreck...so was mine...just don't let it stop you, or keep you in self-pity, because we all get a bad hand some of the time, it's what we make of it.
    Good careers working with animals are highly competitive & often don't pay well because they don't have to in order to keep people there...I can remember wanting
    to be a zoo-keeper, but my choice of an unrelated & well-paying job let me do my own thing with the animals of my choice...a far better option for me.
    trade wise i already have experience in the apartment maintenance field, my dad trained me to do most things, and if you go to the right place you can make $19+ an hour and i really enjoy the work. plus it pays off to be a people person in that line of work, which i am! so thats been my plan for awhile, just gotta start somewhere. hes gone in 5 years from making 10.50 an hour to making now $27 an hour, all working up through the apartment business and going wherever the money is

10. The Following User Says Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-05-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    my ~dream~ is to have a good paying manual labor job (which is very easily obtainable in the maintenance industry, i have second hand experience) and then i want to breed BPs on the side

Something that's ALWAYS in demand & pays well is a good plumber. There's all sorts of other avenues too, like house-painting & garage-door installations, & so on.
    Roofing too, and in areas like mine (with lots of trees), tree-trimmers make out like crazy! The ones that make the most have to be the bravest though & be willing
    to climb...not everyone is cut out for that, but the guys who have worked for me were impressive. Hard work at times, but they work in small groups outside, not
    boring, & not working alone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (03-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Something that's ALWAYS in demand & pays well is a good plumber. There's all sorts of other avenues too, like house-painting & garage-door installations, & so on.
    Roofing too, and in areas like mine (with lots of trees), tree-trimmers make out like crazy! The ones that make the most have to be the bravest though & be willing
    to climb...not everyone is cut out for that, but the guys who have worked for me were impressive. Hard work at times, but they work in small groups outside, not
    boring, & not working alone.
    plumbing does seem fun, ive put in and plumbed a few sinks, its crazy how much plumbers overcharge.

house painting ive tried and its not for me. granted i did it by hand but i hated every minute of it! lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    plumbing does seem fun, ive put in and plumbed a few sinks, its crazy how much plumbers overcharge.

house painting ive tried and its not for me. granted i did it by hand but i hated every minute of it! lol

We don't all like the same things, I just threw some ideas out there. I've done quite a bit of house-painting, but not as a paid job, lol. My late grandfather was a painter
    & paper-hanger by trade, it's not a job I'd want either...but jobs don't have to be forever, remember that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast