Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,681

0 members and 1,681 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    If you can pass a "whiz quiz" then look for a construction gig. The concrete contractors always seem to need people who are reliable. You can also get to know the subs in the HVAC, electrician, and plumbing industries and find out which companies are decent and which should be avoided.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-06-2018)

Thanks

Re: good starter jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Direpython View Post
    And you guys officially dated your self 3.35 min wage that had to atleast be in the 80s so I would assume your in your 40s maybe a tad older? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trust me I thought about this, but if it helps one person very small sacrifice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MAC1 View Post
    Trust me I thought about this, but if it helps one person very small sacrifice.
    It’s ok lol you didn’t date your self like grandpa boger talking about hanging paper with us grandfather I think they quite doing that like in the 60s or 70s lol

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Oddly I recommend getting the "soft skills" as in customer facing jobs like bartender jobs get you.

They rarely provide good money in themselves but will enhance almost every other job you get.

"People skills" aren't easy to learn but almost every job involves them - and they really help you move up the job hierarchy.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Direpython View Post
    It’s ok lol you didn’t date your self like grandpa boger talking about hanging paper with us grandfather I think they quite doing that like in the 60s or 70s lol

First, I'm a woman...second, my grandfather died a long time ago & I never said anything about "hanging paper with him" (learn to read!), and don't worry...I may
    be older than you but I can still remember who not to bother with.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Another option to look for is a workforce development group. I worked for one for three years in Richmond, VA and they are in most decent sized cities. They are a government funded organization that help people get their GED and job training skills, including the fees for technical training at no cost to the individual. It seems like you already have an idea about the type of work you want to do, and many of the trade jobs are what these groups are geared towards. In the three years I worked there, our organization helped hundreds of people a year with school tuition for trade schools and/or certification programs (nurses aide, etc.) as well as resume assistance, job skills coaching, counseling, etc. You do have to qualify for the program, but if you are unemployed and don’t have marketable job skills, you would be a good candidate.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    First, I'm a woman...second, my grandfather died a long time ago & I never said anything about "hanging paper with him" (learn to read!), and don't worry...I may
    be older than you but I can still remember who not to bother with.
    Lol my apologies for assuming you was a man. Wasn’t being rude or anything I was just playing . I hope you accept my apology:-)

Thanks
    Just to toss my .02 in, the trades are grossly underestimated.

You're 18 and no diploma? Get a GED, and then enroll in some local trade school for HVAC. That seems to be your instinct and its a great career. There will always be a demand and it can't be outsourced overseas.

A certificate from a local trade school can be a great foot in the door, it means you have some experience, basic knowledge, and can be trained. You'll be able to hit the ground running in the field. Just expect to do the grunt work at first, but all entry level work is like that. Be patient and reliable and you'll do well.

I know a guy who was in HVAC. He retired at 55 and has a much nicer house and car than I ever will.

Personally, if I could do it over again, I'd do the Air Force for a few years and then go right into the trades. College got me the cushy office job, but there's more to life than staring at this computer screen all day!
    Last edited by JRLongton; 03-13-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    \m/

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-13-2019),Dianne (03-13-2019)

Thanks

i completely forgot about this thread, but update: im 19 now, got my GED, and i had a construction job fall in my lap in florida. ill be working my way up to be assistant superintendent with my dad as superintendent. but as you said, starting with the grunt work like cleaning up after people and slowly learning more and more.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (03-13-2019),Bogertophis (03-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    i completely forgot about this thread, but update: im 19 now, got my GED, and i had a construction job fall in my lap in florida. ill be working my way up to be assistant superintendent with my dad as superintendent. but as you said, starting with the grunt work like cleaning up after people and slowly learning more and more.
    nice update! glad to see that things are on the up and up. butt BTW do u still have a snake? that would be super good news!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast