Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,581

4 members and 1,577 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: tattoo ideas!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: tattoo ideas!

I was quite a few years older than you are now when I got my first, and so far only, tattoo (Celtic/tribal heart I designed). I knew what I wanted for some time but hadn’t worked out all of the details before I met the artist I wanted to do the tattoo. She took my rough design and refined it in a sketched draft before I committed to the tattoo. Placement on the back of my left shoulder was two-fold. The heart represents my other half so I wanted it close to my heart but not on my breast (gravity is not your friend lol). Second factor was that I was working in a professional field where a visible tattoo would impact growth in my career. Even now when tattoos are mainstream, a highly visible tattoo would potentially impact promotions.

Whether you get the jellyfish now, or wait a couple of months to find just the right artist, be sure your tattoo speaks to you. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks of your choice...and that is hard sometimes...you just need to be happy when you see it on yourself. I’ve never once regretted the tattoo I have and it still means as much to me today as it did when I got it. You are the only person you have to please.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I was quite a few years older than you are now when I got my first, and so far only, tattoo (Celtic/tribal heart I designed). I knew what I wanted for some time but hadn’t worked out all of the details before I met the artist I wanted to do the tattoo. She took my rough design and refined it in a sketched draft before I committed to the tattoo. Placement on the back of my left shoulder was two-fold. The heart represents my other half so I wanted it close to my heart but not on my breast (gravity is not your friend lol). Second factor was that I was working in a professional field where a visible tattoo would impact growth in my career. Even now when tattoos are mainstream, a highly visible tattoo would potentially impact promotions.

Whether you get the jellyfish now, or wait a couple of months to find just the right artist, be sure your tattoo speaks to you. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks of your choice...and that is hard sometimes...you just need to be happy when you see it on yourself. I’ve never once regretted the tattoo I have and it still means as much to me today as it did when I got it. You are the only person you have to please.
    the hard part for me is theres nothing for me thats super meaningful or meaningful at all really, and anything that there is im not a fan of how they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    if that BEL is yours, it’s beautiful. (heck its beautiful regardless)

anywho, im probably either gonna get it to celebrate my GED or my 19th birthday (february)

Yes, that's my BEL boy. Thank you for the compliment! Will be fun to see how it goes for you over the next few months, so keep updating.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Yes, that's my BEL boy. Thank you for the compliment! Will be fun to see how it goes for you over the next few months, so keep updating.
    i will try to! im quite forgetful lol, a BEL is one of my dream BPs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    the hard part for me is theres nothing for me thats super meaningful or meaningful at all really, and anything that there is im not a fan of how they look.

I think for each person a tattoo has a different appeal. It can be like mine that is representative of a person or event/relationship, or it can just be an image you like. When I say find what speaks to you, it doesn’t have to be deeply motivational. Just find what you like. I have plenty of friends whose tattoos don’t have significant meanings, but just an image that makes them happy to see it each day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I think for each person a tattoo has a different appeal. It can be like mine that is representative of a person or event/relationship, or it can just be an image you like. When I say find what speaks to you, it doesn’t have to be deeply motivational. Just find what you like. I have plenty of friends whose tattoos don’t have significant meanings, but just an image that makes them happy to see it each day.
    i really want to find an artist that i like their style and have them draw a one off. have their art on my body, thats mainly what it means to me

7. The Following User Says Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

Dianne (10-05-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    Very true. I got my tattoo on my ankle (it's a small crescent moon) where it can easily be hidden when I wear shoes. This is because I don't know what jobs I'll have in the future and I don't want peoples opinions to get in the way of a future career.
    is there any way i can see it? cause i kinda wanna do the same thing

Thanks
    I'm glad you decided to wait! It sounds like it was going to be a spur of the moment decision, more or less, which does not pair well with tattoos, at all. Never get one just because someone offered to pay for one and now you're scrambling to find something you like. It will be there *forever* and should have a little more thought put into it!

Second, you should do a TON of research on where you go. Like, an obnoxious amount. There will usually be examples of each artist's work online. If you find some you like, go into the shops. Most artists will have a book of work that's more expansive than what is available online. Some specialize in different styles, or in color vs greyscale, etc. Look at reviews. Check and see if the artist has won any awards for his art. How long they have been in business, etc.

Third - and this is a big one, at least for me - *never* shop by price. A good artist WILL be expensive, and a good tattoo will cost a lot of money. Most artists will take offense if the first question you ask is "how much do you charge" because that says you're more concerned about price than the quality of the work that will be on your skin for the rest of your life. For my last tattoo, I actually looked at the artist's work at a shop when my mom went in to get work done. Then, at a tatoo convention, I kept hearing his name announced as the winner of the different contest categories for his work. So I finally looked him up, went and spoke with him about what I wanted, and THEN asked his price range. To add, many good artists have a bit of a wait list! Be prepared to have a little time to save. Don't pick a shop because you read they're cheap, because with tattoos you get what you pay for!

Find something or an idea you love that speaks to you. You don't have to find something online that you want - they're artists, their whole life revolves around taking ideas and turning them into work. I went in with a vague idea of what I wanted and my artist turned it into an absolutely insane piece of art that was expensive, took a long time, and I am so beyond blown away with. Think of what means a lot to you, and maybe a style that piques your interest, and see what you and your artist can work out. Pick something you can absolutely rock and make it yours!

Relevant:
    Last edited by Spoons; 10-06-2018 at 01:19 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-08-2018),Godzilla78 (10-07-2018)

Thanks

I tend to prefer tattoos with meaning, and something unique. So far, all 4 of my tattoos have been custom made (my friend drew one for me and I designed the other 3). I have one on my wrist that means strength and healing. I usually find a meaning that I want and then try to symbolize that. I've heard writing doesn't last very well, and neither do those water color designs. Now, I've been tossing around ideas for more than a year and haven't found anything that I like for long enough. I second what's been said earlier though: make sure it's something you really really want for a while cuz it'll be on you forever. You might also want to pick somewhere on your back in case you don't like the first one, or somewhere meaty so it doesn't hurt as much. Definitely talk to the artist though and find someone you trust. Let us know what you do end up getting though!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Account Disabled
    Thanks

This is my latest, I had a bulldog covered because it did not age well so here is the replacement bulldog and the cobra that covered the original.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast